Young Irish Driver looking for Insurance!

Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Meow
MMOC Member: No

Young Irish Driver looking for Insurance!

Post by Meow »

Hello, I'm brand new and I'm sure insurance has been brought up a lot here but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm 26 and I've had my full Irish Driving Licence for nearly two years.
I bought a 1966 Morris Minor in April. The car is originally British but had been brought to the Republic of Ireland in 2009. I bought the car in Ireland and am in the process of re-registering it in the U.K. - I've informed the HMRC and am waiting for my registration paperwork from the DVLA.

Now, I need to sort out the MOT and I know I can insure it on the chassis number so that it's covered for the test. My problem is finding an affordable insurance quote.

I've checked out other threads about young driver's insurance so I thought I'd try FJ but that's where I ran into more problems! They won't insure me until I am permanently living here for three years.

I'm waiting for a reply from RH and I'll do a google search for more insurance companies.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are any other drivers originally from outside the UK who know of an insurance company that could help me?
rayofleamington

Re: Young Irish Driver looking for Insurance!

Post by rayofleamington »

[q]They won't insure me until I am permanently living here for three years. [/q]
Discrimination against an EU citizen moving from one country to another doesn't sound like a formal policy to me - maybe a misunderstanding on behalf of whoever at FJ you spoke to?!

If you don't get a positive answer on your second attempt with FJ, please can you phone club head office and ask for assistance on this - the young members scheme is a valued asset in the club and they've worked hard to maintain it.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Contact i.e. PM "Dave@FJ" MMOC's contact at Footman James he's a poster on this site and hopefully will be able to help you sort out your problem

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Meow

Post by Meow »

Thanks for the replies! I'll try FJ again once my car is properly registered.

After a gruelling search I eventually got the car temporarily insured for 30 days with ACORN insure, costing me an arm and a leg but at least I was able to drive to the MOT.

I even had some good news at the end of it all as my moggy passed the MOT!

The next step is filling out the V55/5 which finally arrived although the DVLA forgot to include the form to retain the original UK reg. I'm hoping I can print it off the internet. Then, it'll be back to the insurance hunt. :-?