My Moggy (Molly)

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisyp
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

My Moggy (Molly)

Post by chrisyp »

Hi All
I just thought I would post some pics of my Moggy affectionately called Molly. I have been building Molly now for just over a year and this is the first mock up with the engine and box. I have a spare block that is being used for positioning but just thought I'd lay on the head, carbs, exhaust, and cam cover for effect!!!
I have already put discs on the front, with Spax adjustable Teles, along with an anti roll bar. At the rear the axle is Capri Atlas lowered 2" and again with Spax Teles. The wheels are 10 x 15 Minilites all 4 with Ford stud pattern with a -13 ET and the tyres are 295/50 x 15 Toyo's.
The look I'm going for is Prosport / Super Saloon Road Replica.
The Engine 2.0 Litre Pinto with a type 9 Gearbox. The head has been machined to take, 38.1 Exhaust Valves, 44.4 Inlet Valves, with bronze guides,this should make it about Stage 3. The cam is Kent Cam FR33, I have used Stainless Steel valves, these along with the cam were sourced from Burton Performance. The Carbs are Dellorto 45's and as you can see I have gone for the rarer downdrafts, really hard to source a manifold but I think it was worth it, for the performance and novelty value!!!
Although she looks like a wreck (sorry Moll) all mechanical parts have been renewed and now comes the serious Fabrication!!!
Any comments, tips, advice would be really welcome, I know she's not one for the purist but HaHo.
looking forward to your replies, Chris[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Re: My Moggy (Molly)

Post by plastic_orange »

Should be a pretty quick car , but you'll have fun in the wet with your wheel/tyre combo, and not in a good way (personal experience) :D .
Can you get it to sit a bit lower as it's pretty high just now. I presume the wings are getting some work done to miss the tyres :wink:
Keep the pics coming.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
chrisyp
Minor Friendly

Post by chrisyp »

Hi Pete
yes she does need to com down a bit, but I'm not sure what the weight of the engine is going to do yet, so all the lowering plans on hold till the engines in. The wings are being cut down the centre line and banded so as to keep the wings smooth with no bulges. thanks for the comments Chris
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

nice looking job, if you would like to join the custom and modified register which costs nothing just drop me a Pm with your email address.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The steering is going to be h3llish - with the tyre contact patch so far outside the rotation centre of the king pin! But it should go well in a straight line! :)
ImageImage
chrisyp
Minor Friendly

Post by chrisyp »

Thanks for the comments all very much welcome. I thought corners were for sliding round anyway!!! :wink:
chrisyp
Minor Friendly

Post by chrisyp »

Hi all, I cut the bell housing today went really well both engine and gearbox are now sitting exactly where I wanted them. Next step make up mountings and gearbox cross member, I will try to take some pics and put them up over the weekend, work permitting.
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

I'm surprised you got that in without cutting the bulkhead. The Pinto's not exactly compact.
chrisyp
Minor Friendly

Post by chrisyp »

Must be honest I thought it would be a lot more tricky than it has been, keep waiting for the, "Ahhh missed that" moment but so far so good.

In one of the previous posts I said about lowering the car. Well on that subject, although I have laid in the block (albeit with NO crank, pistons, etc.) in, with head on with the Carbs and the gearbox the height has not changed at all from when the car had nothing in. I can't even get the car to go down momentarily by adding my weight (18.5 stone) any ideas, I have always been a Ford man before Molly and all this torsion bar stuff is a real mystery!!! Thanks Chris
chrisyp
Minor Friendly

Post by chrisyp »

Hi All as promised Pic's of the bell housing, gearbox and engine with the front panel in place. going to be tight but if it were easy everyone would do it!!! Or maybe not?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]