Modernized version of the Traveller?

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Liam_Mc
MMOC Member: No

Modernized version of the Traveller?

Post by Liam_Mc »

Hi all,

I am a fourth year university student, studying Automotive and Transport design. For my final year project I am redesigning the Morris Traveller (woody). I am keeping in mind the heritage and classic characteristics of the original but want to also develop the vehicle for modern day use. The end result will be a quarter scale clay model (modeled by me).

Attached is a first copy of my stage 1 development, any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Liam,[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Modernized version of the Traveller?

Post by bmcecosse »

Errrr - it already exists - the MINI Clubman... I parked my OE White Trav alongside an Arun White Clubman in the summer - very similar size and general looks. The owners of the Clubman were amazed when they returned to their car - and took several pictures.... http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/clubman/
ImageImage
Liam_Mc

Post by Liam_Mc »

I see your point, but there are bound to be similar features in both when the original Morris Designer also designed the Mini.

I am hoping to revive a classic car with a modern twist, but still using the iconic wood features. I am hoping that my design will be a strong competitor alongside the mini.

Thanks for your feedback though :)

Liam.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

looks interesting..

i think the "Y" shaped piece of wood on the rear flanks makes it look heavy at the back

also not sure if it is an optical illusion but the front end seems bulge out at the front
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's 'stuck on' wood - like the Mini Countryman (at least it was timber - although not structural) , or even worse the Mini Clubman Countryman (or indeed was there also a ghastly 'woody' Cortina estate..?) - then it's a disaster....and I can't see you using real timber on a modern car.... Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me the day I found the MINI Clubman - but the similarities with grille/side windows/rear doors and overall dimensions was amazing...
ImageImage
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

Am I right in thinking that Morgan still use wood as a stuctural part on their cars? This could be good to look into if it's the case as clearly these are modern cars still using wood in the manufacturing.
Why is the 'new' Mini Clubman not called the Traveller as the original Clubman never had wood on it!?
Bash's Speed Shop
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Why is the 'new' Mini Clubman not called the Traveller
The word traveller has taken on a new meaning recently, not very aspirational :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Liam_Mc

Post by Liam_Mc »

charlie_morris_minor
Thanks for your feedback, I can understand where you are coming from and will continue to develop it further.

bmcecosse
I haven't actually stated what I intend to do with the wood from a design aspect. Again thanks for your feedback. Hopefully next time you will have a camera with you. :D

ratrodmog
Thanks for the feedback, yes you are correct the Morgan - aero 8 uses a ash frame/chassis.

thanks again
Liam_Mc
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

Hi Liam-Mc
I've been boring my friends and family for AGES saying that following the success of the new Mini, and the VW Beetle, it makes perfect sense to offer a 21st Century Morris Minor. I like your design - although I agree that the Y shape towards the back looks a bit overdone.

One of the iconic shapes of the Traveller is the curve of wood over the rear wings. If you could create something like that - decorative not structural - it could look very attractive.

In fact, building on what bmcecosse says, a re-body of the existing Mini Clubman could make sense, in the same way that the VW group have the same basic chassis and different bodies for VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi models. (The Beetle is a re-bodied Golf is it not?)

:D
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

ps just had another idea. The Traveller was originally a 'family' car. How about making it MPV size, 5 doors, with the rear passenger doors sliding?

I often thought the Chrysler PT Cruiser that came out a few years ago showed that there could be the basis for a 21st C Morris Minor - see this link for the model I mean
http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/5D/E9176B65A ... AD4E81.jpg
Liam_Mc

Post by Liam_Mc »

Hi warb21,

Thanks for your comments, I can see what you mean with revival of the traveller....I'm hoping my design is the one to do that :D

The picture uploaded was my first stages and I have developed it since, incorporating all of the feedback I have had so far from this forum. For instance some of the changes have been related to the wood feature, which I feel is now more in keeping with the original design. The Y shape is no more (RIP Y shape...haha).

My design is already aimed towards 5 passengers, but thanks for the comments.

Thanks again for your feedback

Liam_Mc
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

Thanks Liam_mc I've sent you a PM.
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

MPV sized vehicle...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

looks like I'm outvoted on that one!