Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
glee
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

suspension

Post by glee »

waiting for the AA as my bottom trunion has just popped off the swivel pin - luckily in a car park and not on a road doing 60.
On the Bullmotiff site they sell one specifically for a van - a tad more expensive. Does the van warrant a different one to the saloons etc? Other parts sites don't seem to specify and different option. Bullmotiff also suggest its genuine new mowog. Don't mind paying extra just curious about quality differences. If anyone knows it would be appreciated.
Cheers G
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: suspension

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Very unlucky that your suspension has gone, was the steering getting heavier or any signs? Ive only seen it happen on one car and the wheel was sitting at a real bad angle it also looked like the chassis leg was wrecked. When I bought my first minor the drivers side front suspension had been jacked back into place and the hold lot held in place with a thick rope and a chisel to tighten it...... Im told it generally happens at low speeds as the force of going fast helps keep it in place.

The van one is slightly heavier than the car one, it was fitted when the payload was increased to 8cwt.

I would have a strip down of the other side in the near future to check its condition seeing this has happened!

Too many Minors so little time.....
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I seem to remember BMC saying that the wolsely back plate,stops the trunnion from separating,something to do with the shape of it holding the trunnion,don;'t know myself but is another good reason to fit the wolsely front brakes ,if this is the case.He'll be along as soon as he comes back from wherever his has gone to. :D :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The only difference between the Minor car/traveller steering swivel and the 8cwt van steering swivel is the size of the tapered hole for the steering arm. The steering arm of the 8cwt van is therefore of a larger diameter not only at the taper but overall. BEFORE you buy 8cwt van uprights make sure that you have the van steering arms as they are near impossible to come by. I have genuine BMC 8cwt van swivels fitted to my Minor (purchased from Bull Motif many years ago) with the larger steering arms so I know that they can be fitted to a standard Minor.
I would agree that you need to check the other swivel for serviceability and the condition of the seals.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I would replace the kingpins, bushes and trunnions on both sides.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
glee
Minor Friendly

Post by glee »

Many thanks for your responses. Both sides are going to get a few hundred quid thrown at them. Its 50 next year so i guess i should spoil it a bit. Made in Dublin so i shall be having a party with guiness and jamesons invited. Easy G
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just fit new standard king pins -and grease them well! Yes - the W backplates are shaped such that the lower trunnion can't 'escape' . It would be easy enough to add a little angle iron 'catcher' under the trunnion on standard backplates...... But really - regular maintenance and greasing will ensure the king pins last pretty much 'for ever'.
ImageImage