Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Minor security whats the best visible deterrent

Post by philthehill »

Get a Mini quick release steering wheel hub (the splines are the same) and when you leave the car remove the steering wheel and take it with you. There are several advertised on the web. Quite a visible deterrent there being no steering wheel.

lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by lambrettalad »

and a great talking point over a pint/gnt :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

42 cm Disklok on a standard Minor steering wheel.
It folds nicely in the boot while youre driving.
I also bought £25.00 worth of glass etching kit.
Fitted a secret switch as per bmc ecosse advice.
Modified the garage door lock so it only opens from the inside, awkward as I have to keep going in the side door, but very effective.
In the evenings Park the daily car right up to the garage door regardless.
Paranoid? me?
Last edited by moggiethouable on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where angels fear to tread
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Kevin s............................
Well done PRATT

You have just told the world how to hotwire a car. Hope it is yours they nick and burn, not mine.

Mods... Please delete, a, that comment and b, mine if it ain't liked
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

not giving anything away any half brained moron would know how to hot wire it, given the tone of you note perhaps you fall outside this....
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

moggiethouable wrote:42" Disklok on a standard Minor steering wheel.
B****Y H*** how big is your steering wheel! Do you mean 42cm.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

kevin s wrote:not giving anything away any half brained moron would know how to hot wire it, given the tone of you note perhaps you fall outside this....
Oh dear, I didn't know how to do it.
best regards Half Brained Moron :o

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I am sure if you looked at a wiring diagram it would be obvious, the point is any one who intends to steal you car will know, the only people who don't are the honest people who have not thought about it, as built the cars of this age have no effective security and with the values rising and minimal id markings they make an easy target. Recently older landrovers have had a major theft problem, who knows what will be next, we all need to start thinking about extra physical security and not waste money on completely ineffective immobolisers.
Trackers on the otherhand are worthwhile as long as they are well hidden.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I think the car thieves are far more intelligent nowadays and the wiring trick serves no purpose as they use recovery trucks and are organised .I was talking to a friend in the crime squad and he said thieves go to shows and pick the ones they want and follow them home with a view to stealing at a later date :o checking it over at the show for alarms etc when they are admiring it underbonnet
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

i really have to dissagree with you on the immobiliser issue , if they were useless the insurance companies wouldn't offer better rates if you car is fitted with one , high value sports cars have them fitted as well as tracking devices. As i said they slow down the opportunist , if they see a car with immobiliser warning stickers they are more likely to move onto something easier to nick, the visual deterrent is what i was really most interested in. Interesting info about the jump starting though , one way of stopping that would be a cover over the starter and solenoid contacts , something that could be fairly easily fabricated , i understand the delicacy of the subject and probably some info is best passed on via personal messages , but i might try and fabricate a cover to see if it works and report back with some pics , again it wouldn't stop someone with a trailer but it would possibly stop a casual joyrider .
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Don't get me wrong immobolisers are great on modern cars where you can break into any number of circuits to immobolise the car (sometimes even the same circuit twice), but for older pre electronic age cars they are of little value as the ignition is so easy to bypass, the best option is to keep them out, a lock on the bonnet (such as a padlock and chain that only allows it to be opened a couple of inches) and high security deadlocks on the doors work well, an alarm (with battery back up) can also be a good detereant as long as there is someone around to hear it.

As someone said earlier though, a massive eye bolt concreted into the ground and a chain around the axle is probably the best way to keep your car.

kevin
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Many years ago I had a mk 1 'S' stolen, it was eventually found(minus the engine and other nice bits) on inspection the handbrake cables had been snipped, so I suspect it was hoisted up and towed away. I suppose all you need is an orange lamp and it would look genuine. I'm still looking for the lowlife.

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

kevin s wrote:As long as you leave the original wire connected 12v from the battery to the live terminal on the coil also feeds the fuel pump, it will run fine. ( this is how we started ours without the key)
How about relocating the battery in the boot? Tealeaf probably won't have a long enough piece of wire......
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

With a postal Minor, it's very difficult to gain entry, especially
upon removal of the interior handles.

I agree, no amount of electrical safety devices will stop the
vehicle being moved/removed.

Need to discuss ways to stop the vehicle moving.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

qwerty165 wrote:
moggiethouable wrote:42" Disklok on a standard Minor steering wheel.
B****Y H*** how big is your steering wheel! Do you mean 42cm.
:lol: yep 42cm
Where angels fear to tread
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

so you can sleep easy,and enjoy being a minor owner AFTER you have spend hundreds of pounds on an fancy immobiliser,took the steering wheel to bed with you,

put the caravan security post up,after concreting it in,made sure the moderns are parked in front of it,moved the battery to the boot,

unchained the hungry dog,fitted the steering wheel clamp in the bed just incase they sneak into the bedroom and find the wheel under the duvet.,

fitted the wheel clamps,

Removed all the handles.Padlock and chain on the bonnet,

Fitted the chain round the axle to the eye bolt concreted into the garage floor
,made up a fitment to the solenoid,
fitted 20 secret switches
made sure you arn't being followed from shows(Use a different route each time),had all the glass etched,

you could also fit a tap to the tank so that you could drain the petrol,and carry it with you to the pub in a can,fit a detachable petrol pump,fits in a handbag nicely,take all the wheel off and lock them in the garage, :o :o

unsrew the gear lever after putting it into reverse with the car backed up against the wall of the nearest police station.

Then get the bus everytime you wanted to go out knowing that the old girl would be still there to LOOK AT,when you got back home. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Think I'll take the chance with my one secret switch,and when I leave it anywhere isolated I put the rotor arm into my pocket,just incase they try to hotwire it.OHH NO Iv'e just told all the little scrotes now,halfords will run out of rotors now :D :D
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

POMMReg wrote:With a postal Minor, it's very difficult to gain entry, especially
upon removal of the interior handles.

I agree, no amount of electrical safety devices will stop the
vehicle being moved/removed.

Need to discuss ways to stop the vehicle moving.
wheel clamps score against the run of play to make it 1-1 , referee looks confused ! :wink:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Kennat makes good point, about the rotor arm, even if they did buy one most of the repro ones are so bad he probably wouldn't get far anyway!
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

I saw a device a while back that produces constant high voltage sparks with a king lead.
Seems you unplug the original cars king lead and fit this device to the central electrode via its flylead and simply crank the engine, with the rotor arm distributing sparks as usual the car can be driven (if fuelling is mechanical) so electrical cutouts wont work against that.

Id be inclined to go for some tracking!
There are all manner of discreet ( very!) devices that work using mobile phone tower networks to triangulate a tracking unit that dials you up to tell you where the car is if the worst should happen.

Visible deterrents id favour would be a concreted in steel post, suitable locks, hidden and visible cctv, security lights and some method to prevent the car being driven off like a wheel clamp.

In an ideal world a robotic chain gun would take care of the miscreants....
bassman1
Minor Friendly

Post by bassman1 »

i just found this , its sick and i absolutely love the idea but don't fancy the law suit from the bereaved car thief's loved ones http://freespace.virgin.net/autotaser.uk/