Look at this website for clock, speedo etc... repairs!

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
an_avenger
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Look at this website for clock, speedo etc... repairs!

Post by an_avenger »

I was hunting through eBay trying to find any bargins but I finally found the website which does flat-rate repairs on old car clocks, speedo's etc... have a look: http://www.jdo1.com/Classic_car_ix.html

:o
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Looks good. Has anyone ever used this company?
lionellength
Minor Friendly

Post by lionellength »

I've used this firm twice for recalculating spedos when I've changed diffs and they have been excellent. They will need to know what tyres your on and what diff you are running. The speedo doesn't waiver anymore and is accurate which is unnerving!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

They seem quite a bit cheaper than Speedy cables who I think are around another £20:00
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've used this firm twice for recalculating spedos when I've changed diffs and they have been excellent.
Hi LL,
What kind of money did you pay?
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Thanks for that, they would appear to be much cheaper than a couple of others. My Traveller's speedo needs recalibrating - black face on a 1957car with the original 4.55 diff. It's reading high. :o If there are some good reports I'll give them a try.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Why not try and pick up a cheap gold faced one, if you're going to have it recalibrated...?
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

I'd need to change the fuel tank sender unit to the older type and change the wiring at the back of the speedometer, the black unit has a voltage stabiliser, tha gold/bronze doesn't. Much easier to have the speedo recalibrated.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Oh yes, of course... I'd forgotten about that. Silly me. Well, getting the existing one recalibrated may be a better solution for you, then. Memory like a goldfish! :lol:
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

:roll: Or to really pass a delightful few hours, fit a 4.22 diff. :-? Which I don't have.
I had thought of fitting a bronze speedo as a solution, which would be as original, but then weighed up pros and cons - the cons won!! :D
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

Interesting stuff on that web site . Heres my basic tip for setting the speedo markings -I'm not saying its perfect ,but it works ,and I've trusted the calcs. enough to go thro' speed traps at correct speed.,it will only work if you have an(accurate )tacho .I worked out revs per mile for various speeds e.g. 30mph =so many revs etc . then got a passenger to mark the completely painted out face of the speedo ,when we reached those speeds. Unless youre adventurous ,you could mark ,say 30/40/50/60/70mph . Not the ideal solution ,but it works -&you can have fun shouting at the passenger -come on ,mark it ,markit NOW The first time we tried it ,I shouted so much at my 16yr old son ,his hand was shaking as he marked the speeds -and the blunt pencil made tramlines on the dial so each mark could be +/- 5mph ,It was hilarious !
Cam

Post by Cam »

DO IT NOW!!! NOW!!! :lol:

Made me laugh that!!

I have done a similar thing with mine and worked out the revs/speed based on the rolling radius of the rear wheels and the gearing ratios back to the engine, so I have a small list of revs/speeds in 3rd 4th and 5th stuck to my dash which I refer to when going through speed cameras! Although my speedo reads about 11% high, so if I go through a 30 camera with my speedo reading 30 then I have an extra 11% safety margin!!! :lol:

I WILL get it calibrated properly eventually by Speedy Cables, but it's £40 and I have other things to spend it on at the mo.........
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

Cor thats abit flash ,working out that it's 11%out ! lol I've got a list ,just like you taped to the dash . Mine goes to 105 mph ,which causes people to comment -105 mph you gotta be jokin'!!!! lol
Cam

Post by Cam »

Mine goes to 105 mph ,which causes people to comment -105 mph you gotta be jokin'!!!!
I know what you mean! I listed mine to 130mph! and get similar comments. Mind you I think wind resistance/lack of torque would stop me reaching it!! (7000 RPM in 5th). But I did once have it up to 6500 RPM in 5th which calculates out at just over 120MPH, but that was only once and I don't really want to repeat the experience!! (must be getting old). I much prefer acceleration to top end. Before it all fell apart :lol: mine did 0-60 in about 7.6 seconds. Not too bad for an A-series in a Minor!
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

Another way we tried was by using 2-way radios in two cars ,me following my sons metro on the by-pas he was SUPPOSED TO SAY "RIGHT OK 40MPH NOW ,HOLD IT STEADY ,tHEN my passenger marks the speedo ,unfortunately his girlfriend didnt know you had to press the call button to transfer to me the speeds ,at one point I was so close to him at about 60mph I could lip read !!!!
Cam

Post by Cam »

:lol: :lol: