PICK UP RESTORATION

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

PICK UP RESTORATION

Post by spike_esq »

We are undertaking a 1970 pick up restoration. We have reached the stage where the cab and the chassis go together as one. I have read some posts within this section with a great deal of interest. I have a specifc need for comments relating to the mounting location where the cab rear lower cross panel bolts to the welded chassis members. I have read that this gap might end up being between 12-18mm and needs to be "packed" out accordingly. Please can you experts advise what is the recommended material to be use here and where it can be purchased. I had thought a solid rubber or canvas type material but what was it on the origin factory build and what best to use now.

Secondly does anyone have any setting out detailed dimensions for the wooden panels for the rear cargo area floor. We are some way off needing this information but if it's out there why not now. I have read this information previously but can I find it now - no chance.

Many thanks and welcome your feedback. Regards.....spike
GBond
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: PICK UP RESTORATION

Post by GBond »

It seems it's just like mine!

Please post a lot of pictures and whatever help you need just ask.

I'm not completely sure about the location you mean but on the rear of the cab the screws in the middle go through the metal, then through the wooden floor panel and then into the second bit of metal that has a speed fastener on it.

Rereading this might not be what you're referring to but rather where the floor meets the chassis. I believe it was thick rubber that came from the factory but perhaps someone else knows better. Just make sure it's not something that's going to trap water to avoid rust.

I'll get you the dimensions for the floor once I get a chance to measure it.

Regards
Gabriel
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

At the highest point on the chassis, at the rear, there is a leather packing piece between that point and the rear cargo area (one each side) the packers measure approx 6inches long x 1 3/4inches wide x 1/4inch thick. I coated the area with waxoyl before fitting. As for the area you're asking about, (cab to chassis) the same applies but maybe not leather. If you don't fit these under the cab, when you offer the rear cargo box up to the vertical part of the cab (ie the face where the screw holes are) you will find the top of the cab and the top of the cargo box will touch but leave a gap at the bottom. The packers raise the back of the cab altering the vertical angle and therefor close the gap. I used a type of plastic material or nylon for the cab packers as it doesn't hold water. I might be able to find the sizes for the wooden panels, if so will post.[frame]Image[/frame]

spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Thanks for the reply from Gabriel and Les. I had not realised that there would be further packing required under the cargo area where it meets the chassis top. The fixing I had mentioned earlier is the cab (lower rear cab cross panel) to chassis. The chassis fixing point is 2x steel rectangular plates with elongated holes and welded to the chassis top. For this I shall use some solid rubber strips (shore 70 or similar) but is the gap really likely to be 12-18mm? In your experience. Also did you guys use stainless steel fixing all around the can?

Thanks also for the comments on the cargo area wooden panels. We have some time before needing to know this information. I will make some research and effort to post some photos over the coming weeks. Keep the comments coming in gents.
Regards.....spike
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Where did you get the 12-18mm gap from? it would have originally been about 6mm. I would imagine there is some scope for variation and it will alter the angle of the cab vertical flange which has to be such that the cargo back butts up nicely all round. too much and there will be a gap at the top, too little and the gap will be at the bottom. There can be problems in this area if replaced panels are not in the right place, which is likely if you need too much packing, this being the case you start to see the horizontal lines of the vehicle, viewed from the side, looking wrong. Some folk think the lcv's are simple to rebuild but if you like things right they are not.

spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hello Pick Up / LCV Fanatics,

Well would you believe it just got the 1971 Pick Up cab back from the paint shop and thought I would post a few photos. Not tried this before so hope all goes well. Sadly the Project will not move on too much over the coming year since I was recently assigned to Japan. C'est la vie. Take a look here.
And going back to an earlier post if anyone can assist and advise the correct bolt sizes for fixing the cab to the chassis it would be a great help....Regards......spike (Bath)
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hello Readers, So two years on from my last restoration post the Persian Blue Pick Up now has an MOT. Shock horror did I hear. Well it is true. Phew. I wanted to ask for some reader feedback/ experiences on door mounted mirrors. Obviously for the Pick Up with Tilt a long reach door mounted version will be required. Have we any experience out there? There's not an abundance of options in the marketplace. I had thought of mounting in the so called triangle area just adjacent to the quarter light.
I would appreciate any member comments for experience of door mounted and then mirror model and likely manufacturer. It would be good to open up some dialogue/ discussion. Thanks so much. Look forward to your replies and possible recommendations based on your personal experiences. Regards, spike (Bath)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks very nice and some good work going on :)
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:D Wonderful news that your pick up is all road worthy with it's new MOT. I know with our van the mirrors are a pain, when we replaced the wings with fibreglass ones we didn't want to put 'wing' mirrors on so the alternative was placing them on the door/triangle part of the window. They are ok but not brilliant but guess if you can place them on extended arms, as others have, that will help (although being a pick up you will already get a better view from your interior mirror than the van to help get a better picture of what's going on behind).