morris splitty history and modifications?

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Merbie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

morris splitty history and modifications?

Post by Merbie »

hello im new to the forum and passed my test a few weeks ago i have a 1952 morris minor split screen with red interior and a early side valve engine. i have a original c75b supercharger to go on and a host of other goodies. Really looking forward to drive the car for years to come and get to no the people who drive them.
cheers henri.[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: morris splitty history and modifications?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
That's a fine car you have there.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Welcome to the messageboard!

A sidevalve should prove to be a challenging drive for a new driver, congratulations on passing your test :D Have you registered your car with Mike Perry who keeps a list of all the series MMs that are left? Heres a link to the MM site

http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk/

Im afraid I dont know much about modifying the MM as the parts so so hard to find, the most common thing that people want is an Alta overhead conversion so I will be keen to see what you fit and the difference it makes.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

haha thanks guys ill upload a few pics as soon as, also i have a clock on the dash is this rare? becasue i havent seen one on any other morris. or is it something someone has put in?
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

yeah the first time i drove it it had no breaks so i was heel and toeing and double de clutching everywhere was great fun fixed breaks now though and stops like a porsche :D
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Hi mate, congrats, my splitty was my first motor too. Ten years on im Just rebuilding a maestro a+ engine an supercharging it at the mo to replace the Suzuki engine I currently got in it. You're gonna get ALOT of this but really think hard about modifying a totally original splitty. I'm never one to say, ooh you're ruining a classic car, because I've argued until blue in the face with some grumpy old gits but you will SERIOUSLY DEVALUE your car, just so your aware, original splitty do fetch a tasty price tag that wont devalue as you drive off a forecourt like the pieces of plastic me mates drove when they passed there tests! Mine came with a knackered 1098 a series in it that somebody had put in way back when so that was my excuse but even now I'm going back to a series to try and gain some value back to my motor. Good luck with the project, look forwards to seeing it!

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

also i have a clock on the dash
Is that on the passenger side, in the middle of what would be a glove box lid on a later car? I think the common fitment there was a Morris badge and the clock is a bonus / a bit of a rarity.
Perhaps someone on here, with more knowledge than I, can confirm this......
Can you add a picture of it?
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as the s/charger is bolt on/bolt off conversion - it won't affect later value. It may of course ruin the engine, and they are not exactly plentiful....... The Suzuki engine conversion sounds interesting - I'm sure someone will take that off your hands 'suzuki'.....
ImageImage
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

It's at the lock up at the mo but ill grab a picture this weekend it's fits lovely!

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'd go with the 1275 'A' series, plenty of power for the Moggy and it looks the same when you lift the bonnet.
I'd keep the original side valve though, as a future purchaser may value it.
As an aside, I've been told the best way to store an engine and keep it in good / free condition is to leave the oil in it and turn it over with the starter motor (plus battery :wink: ) on a regular basis. Plugs out if I remember correctly.
Best wishes,
Mike.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The way to preserve an engine in storage is to first of all endsure ALL water has been emptied out from the water jacket, then pour oil down the plug holes and turn it over a couple of times - just by hand. Then refit the plugs of course - just good finger tight... Then stuff oil soaked rags up all 5 ports in the head - and ideally then seal the ports off with something that will keep the air out. Pour some oil in the rocker cover to flood over the rockers - and then stuff oil rags into the two crankcase breathers and tie a plastic bag over the ends. And of course - store the engine in a dry/warm place. Gently turn over by hand every few months will be fine - if long term storage - add a bit more oil in the bores and over the rockers.
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

An oil change too before storing, used oil can be very acidic.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

Hi guys sorry haven't posted for a while but I just want to make clear every modification I am doing is completely reversible I want to be able to reverse the car back to standard and keep anything I build for another project, so this means ill be keeping a hold of the engine. also I have been considering a engine swap i.e. 1098 or a 1275. how tunable is the 1098 and will the shorrock supercharger work with this? also does the sidevalve gearbox match with a a series? thanks henri

p.s. more pictures soon!
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

painted the wheels and gave it its pinstripe back! also painted the bashed wing but needs doing agian in my opinion...also gave her a good ol clean!!![frame]Image[/frame]
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

That's looking nice, ill try get some images of mine up. I've heard the shorrocks are a waste of time and they cost a fortune, if you're capable to do it yourself you'd do a complete engine swap for the same price(duratec - that's my next plan!). They cost around £500 to £1000 ( there are several on ebay a the mo). Plus speaking from experience (just spent two and half grand( andthats not including the cost of the charger) building my engine ready for a forced pressure (don't tell the fiancée!) the work you need to do getting things balanced, dropping compression,pistons, carbs, getting things built etc you may as well read up on mini mods and build a fast 1275 road engine, or just scour ebay/gumtree.

I warn you now my mog was my first car, the more you mess with it the more it becomes part of what your mates define you by, an the less likely you are to sell it! Ten years on, I can't see me ever selling it - I don't even know if I want to keep it but it'd be like selling your nan!

Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

Haha it's already going that way...I like it too much! I already have a shot rock supercharger I found it in a shed haha and what else do I need to get to convert it to a 1275 engine?
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

yeah its already heading that way...i really dont wanna get rid of it its too much fun and the chicks love it haha, i already have a shorrock supercharger i found in a shed and the guy gave ot to me, do you know what else is required togo with the 1275 conversion like radiator etc thanks
Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

hi i already own a shorrock i found in a shed, haha but i want to know what is involved with a making a half decent 1275 engine by half decent i mean pretty quick because when i put the charger on it should go well, also are the swiftune cam any good?
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Alright sorry about the long wait to reply. What's the 1275 out of of? I can only shed light on the way I've done it. I used a maestro 1275 as they have a whopping great oil seal on the back, I know the ones from the minis spew out all the oil when put under pressure, not sure about the mg ones. But then you gotta look into what pressure your gonna run, I'm running about 8-10psi I literally know nothing about the shorrocks. The basics are to put a supercharger on you need to drop the pressure on the engine. You can do this properly or the cheap way that won't last. You get dished pistons that increase your engine cc by around 12cc(what I'd recommend but is costly) or you do what the v scart mini lads do and separate the cylinder head off the block and space it out with a thick head gasket (but this won't last and will blow eventually- however if your after cheap thrills for a year then do this!) I'm not sure if the shorrocks is Blow through or suck through, again the proper way has the super charge then an intercooler then a sealed carb. It's more efficient which means more power gains and effectiveness and safeness, but the cheap way is carb- supercharger- engine. However you will never find me strapping a fast hot spinning piece of metal to my car and then throw fuel through it, sounds wayyyyyyy too much like a grenade.

There's loads of stuff out there on supercharged a series and I dare say there's something written about I by David vizard. Get the book tuning the a series by him, it's quite old so I bet it'll mention the shorrocks somewhere.

Pics of the Suzuki in my morris, excuse the wiring I had to open up the loom the other day[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Merbie
Minor Friendly

Post by Merbie »

Alright buddy cheers, it goes charger carb engine? And I'd use a mg 1275 an the shot rocks don't give mega boost. But it will double the power of a standard side valve