Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chilly
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: electronic fuel pump

Post by chilly »

Because I'd read that SU pumps aren't polarity specific (I didn't know at that point that electronic ones were) I didn't think it relevant to mention in the original query the fact that it came off another car.
Before I'd tried the pump on the car, removed it and took it apart, I didn't even know that there was an electronic version of this pump. They should give it a different part number instead of the same AUA 66 ! Or, at least write on it it's polarity.
Anyway, thanks for all your help and I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. Lessons learnt.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No one is upset, don't worry about that. We are all here to help on what is probably the best classic car forum anywhere. But we have to work with the information we have...so we need all the clues to give us half a chance ! Anyway - hope it works well on the car now you have it sussed out - just reverse the car's polarity.
ImageImage
chilly
Minor Fan

Post by chilly »

Thanks.
Just read your post over on the electrical board about how to swap polarity.
It seems fairly straight forward so I may give it a go.
Just out of interest, what does taking a lead and 'flashing' it on the dynamo actually do?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It reverses the retained flux in the magnetic field in the field coils - which 'jump starts' the dynamo to make volts before the regulatopr cuts in to run volts to the field coils......
ImageImage
whitworthnut

Post by whitworthnut »

I too am having issues with an AUA 66 electronic fuel pump. I pumped a gallon of gas to drain my tank. The pump worked fine and sped up as expected when there was no more gas to be pumped, then it stopped. It will click once to pull the diaphragm. but it won't release unless the power is cut. Any one have a similar experience? The pump is quite new with very limited time on it. It is clean as a whistle.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

whitworthnut wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:07 pm I too am having issues with an AUA 66 electronic fuel pump. I pumped a gallon of gas to drain my tank. The pump worked fine and sped up as expected when there was no more gas to be pumped, then it stopped. It will click once to pull the diaphragm. but it won't release unless the power is cut. Any one have a similar experience? The pump is quite new with very limited time on it. It is clean as a whistle.
Any chance that the pump pulled in some muck as it drained the last of the fuel? You say the pump is clean but have you removed the filter and cleaned and inspected? I would take the filter out and run some carburettor cleaner through it. Also check the pump earth connection. When I converted a points pump to electronic it would work for testing purposes on the bench using a 9 volt PP9 battery .

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
whitworthnut

Post by whitworthnut »

The tank was newly coated before the pump was installed and I have an in line filter which is clear. I did remove the internal pump filter as well and it is dirt free. I assume it is a magnet that actuates the diaphragm mechanism. It seems the magnet is not releasing for whatever reason. Earth is fine or else it wouldn't actuate the diaphragm.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes it is a magnet. I will see if I can find the instructions for the conversion to electronic which also covers adjustment. Basically you need to connect the pump up to a power source (which is why I suggested a PP9 battery because it is much easier to fiddle about at a table or bench rather than using the car's own battery) and move the part I have indicated with an arrow in the photo inwards or outwards until the pump runs at the fastest rate. Remember the pump is polarity sensitive and will only work with the correct polarity. That part can be moved by slackening the screw. Perhaps this part has worked loose and is no longer properly adjusted. The adjustment required between the pump not working at all and working well is pretty small I seem to remember. The magnet incidentally is threaded onto the central spindle and secured by a grub screw held secure with Loctite. It should not be able to go out of alignment after initial setup/manufacture but that does not mean it is not possible. If it is not this then I am at a loss as to what else to suggest. Electronics are not my strong point!

Stephen
IMG_9470.jpeg
IMG_9470.jpeg (992.8 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Here are the instructions which cover the conversion of a points pump to electronic. I know your pump was always electronic but this explains the setup and adjustment in detail and I hope it helps to fix your pump.

Stephen
IMG_9700.jpeg
IMG_9700.jpeg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 550 times
IMG_9698.jpeg
IMG_9698.jpeg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 550 times
IMG_9699.jpeg
IMG_9699.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 550 times

Stephen
whitworthnut

Post by whitworthnut »

Thanks Stephen. Much appreciated.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

whitworthnut wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 pm Thanks Stephen. Much appreciated.
You're welcome. Do please let us now if you have success.

Stephen

Stephen
whitworthnut

Post by whitworthnut »

Burlen appears to agree that it is a circuit board issue.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

whitworthnut wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:08 pm Burlen appears to agree that it is a circuit board issue.
Ok. Are they going to replace it under warranty?

Stephen

Stephen
whitworthnut

Post by whitworthnut »

I purchased the unit several years back, but did not install it until last year when the car was ready for the road, so the warranty has expired. However, Burlen said they would look at next steps, so it sounds like they may provide some relief at least.