Learner driver Q's

Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mushroom glue
MMOC Member: No

Learner driver Q's

Post by mushroom glue »

Hi. This is my first post, so if it's in the wrong place etc. I'm sorry.
I've recently turned 17, and I've started learning to drive. I've allways been into minors, so I'm considering one as a first car. I know that if I become a MMOC member (which I would if I got one), there's discounted insurance, which I think brings the insurance to less than an average hatchback (am I right?). However, I have a few other questions:
1; I'm limited to a budget of about £2000 to buy it. Is it possible to get hold of a decent rolling restoration-type car for that amount? And if so, where's best to look? I've tried classic car sales websites, and they're too expensive. Ebay comes up with some at decent prices, but I'm a bit wary of buying a car off Ebay. Additionally, what problems (eg rust spots) do I need to watch out for?
2; My dad's a little worried about safety. A moggie's an old car, and I realise that it's not going to be as safe as a new hatchback, with airbags and the like. How much of a problem is this if I drive sensibly, and what can I do to improve it? I know that some people fit servo brakes etc., but how would this affect the insurance? And how hard is it to do?
3; How hard is one for someone with limited knowledge to work on? I've done quite a lot of making stuff, such as electronic devices, RC vehicles, CNC work, and a bit of machining, but I've never worked on a car, beyond simple stuff like fitting a radio and sorting a bit of icky wiring. I realise that a cheap minor will need some work, so how hard would it be for me to learn to do it? And yet again, how would this affect insurance?
4; How much do minor modifications like a fiberglass wing affect insurance and safety? I know a fair few have had this sort of thing done, and I'd like to know weather to steer clear or not.
5; Is there anything else I need to think about?

Thanks in advance. I'm asking now so I can think it through and make an educated decision.
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Learner driver Q's

Post by chesney »

Hi there,
Under the FJ scheme, it is a lot cheaper (£600 for my first year @ 17).
1.Should be simple enough. Autotrader may find some, this site is the best source (see 'for sale' section). Ebay is fine as long as you view it first, hopefully with someone who understands the structure on Minors. Specific places for rust, chassis legs, sills and boxing plates, centre crossmember, rear 'chassis' sections where the rear shackles are, front spring hangar, fine toothed comb really. If the floor has a nasty flex/bounce to it stay away! It will split.
2. Moggies are relatively safe as people see you in it (stand out). Aim for a later model fitted with seat belts as standard, better than an earlier car with a potentially 'bodged' seat belt mount. Servos can be fitted, I doubt it will affect your insurance as you aren't increasing the braking force of the vehicle. Not difficult to do, but note a servo will not improve braking force, just makes it easier to apply brakes. If this concerns you, you need an uprated disk kit or larger drums, which I also doubt will make a huge difference to insurance.
3. Simple to work on, this resource is brilliant and most mechanical problems can be sorted very soon due to excellent parts availability.
4. Fibreglass wings won't affect insurance. Safety, there's an argument about that as they don't offer any resistance in a crash, depends on your point of view.
5. Everything you need to know is on this site. Just don't fall for a scrapper and spend thousands making it right, the 'right' one will be just around the corner :D
JPX877J
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JPX877J »

Welcome!

To add to the above if you add your location to your profile a friendly owner may come and look at any potential purchases with you.
mushroom glue

Post by mushroom glue »

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an an eye out, and keep what you've said in mind. I'm already a very small way into minor ownership, being the proud owner of 2 badges, a tail light, an indicator, 2 sun visors and a couple of wing mirrors...
little-bluetwo

Post by little-bluetwo »

Hi, absolutely go for the minor, it's a great first car for us younger chaps. I did work it out a while ago how much the minor saves over a £500 corsa or alike and for me I would have more than paid for the minor in about 2 and a half years on insurance alone, excluding the fact that it probably works out cheaper to maintain and at the end, the corsa would be worth scrap value, whereas depending on how you treat it obviously, the minor should hold pretty well. Maintenance is easy, and you will be able to get all the help you ever need from here. And as parts go, I haven't been able to find any that aren't either reproduced or readily available.
One thing to bear in mind though is that as a learner you might want to hold off driving the minor too much at first as it is a different style of driving to an instructors car and unfortunately you won't be able to take the test in the minor without changing seats for ones with headrests (clip on ones are no longer allowed). My instructor banned me from the minor as whenever I got in his car I nearly shot him through the windscreen with excessive braking. As for adding a servo, I haven't, and as long as you know that you have to really stand on the pedal, it's fine, and more than sufficient for emergency stops etc and adds to the fun/experience of an older car.
As for the safety aspect, yes the minor is lacking in airbags and headrests, but the fact that you won't drive it anywhere near the speeds that some young people drive modern cars will balance that, and also as it will take you longer to brake, it makes you much more aware of hazards on the road in comparison and actually a safer driver than one that drives into situations and brakes after something happens.
One great way of getting information about ownership and perhaps (in my case) finding a car is to talk to as many of the older generation as you can. Virtually everyone has at some point owned one or experienced/ maintained one and they seem to always know where someone who still has one is so you can have a look and possibly a drive up and down some private land. Word of mouth really is the best way of finding one and it saves a lot of hassle emailing and visiting faraway places to find out that the advert was mostly inaccurate.
Anyway, I hope you go with the minor in the end, it really is a good car for younger drivers, and there are so many people willing to help you in your quest.
(If you can, go to the young members rally in Coventry this weekend, I don't think you would be able to get a better sense of being an owner than there. Details are on this site I'm sure)
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

great responses :D ,lots of cop-on :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
mushroom glue

Post by mushroom glue »

Thanks again for the feedback. I probably wouldn't be driving it much until after the test, even if I get one before then. I'd go to the rally, but Coventry's a bit of a hike for me, especially in the midst of A-levels. I'll keep my eye out for others, though.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

visiting faraway places to find out that the advert was mostly inaccurate.
:) Point well put.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"