Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cammy-p
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

deleted

Post by cammy-p »

G
Last edited by cammy-p on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is "Ruby" ..
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: Fitting 1.8cc marina engine ?

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

What a shame no one wants the car..
the marina 1.8 cc engine is the b series so i would have a look for fitting the mgb engine such as..

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t ... ne#p456314

not sure if the mgb and marina gearboxes are the same but i think much like the link it will be a case of trial and error on the fitting front

but i would go with the entire marina rear axle not just swapping the dif (which I do not think will work any way). you will need to change the axle mounts as the positions are wrong but they are not expensive.

Your obvious problem will be that the marina axle has 3.75 inch pcd.. as i see things you have two options, convert the rear axle to 4 inch pcd or fit the front hubs from the 1.8 to your minor and sell the converted hubs and remaining brake parts on to someone else.

yes you will need a new propshaft, but it will need to be a custom one, the length of which you will only know when you have the box and rear axle in place.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's a major major conversion.....are you equipped for the necessary welding work? Everything will need changing - engine and gearbox mounts/radiator fixing/prop shaft and rear axle. It is do-able, but is it really worth it? Put the Marina up on ebay - with a NEW MOT it should sell....although it has to be said (from personal experience of driving one from Birmingham to Glasgow) it is probably the worst car in the world.........
ImageImage
cammy-p
Minor Fan

Re: deleted

Post by cammy-p »

H
Last edited by cammy-p on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is "Ruby" ..
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 1.8 Marina engine is not powerful - and was mated to the Triumph gearbox.... And the extra weight, and the fact you would need to position it quite far forward to clear the steering rack...... you really are better off with a modified 1275 engine.
ImageImage
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Agreed, It has been done, but a lot easer to stick with an A series engine. The way Marina prices are going these days you may be surprised when you put it on ebay.... LAst time I looked there wasn't much about for under a grand and quite a few for well over! I suspect the days of a cheap Marina to run about in and then break for Minor compatable parts are ending...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Agree with Iain and BMC, stick with the Minors A series engine and eBAY the Marina. It may take a while to shift but that is because a rare car has an exclusive market.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahahaha " a rare car has an exclusive market. " - are we still talking about the Marina ???? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage