LED Bulbs

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bluestroke
MMOC Member: No

LED Bulbs

Post by bluestroke »

The twin filament bulbs used in the tail lamps are available in LED format, I first discovered it for my motorcycle, but works on any 60/70/80's that uses the 21/5w offset pin bulb, saves loads of amps.!!!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: LED Bulbs

Post by simmitc »

What about a link to the supplier? There is a school of thought that says that LEDs are not as effective as conventional bulbs as the field of view is considerably more limited - they do not shine out to the side. You can also get halogen versions of conventional bulbs if you would like more visible rear lights. See http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/ - he also does the LED ones.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Been discussed many many times - the 'amps' are hardly a worry - the poor light output IS a worry... :roll:
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I bought a couple of stop/tail twin filament led lamps to try. The side light was brighter and the stoplight was not as bright which meant when operating the brakes at night there was very little difference and you could barely tell the brakes were applied. Also on a sunny day the brake lights were useless, so I went back to good old fashioned lamps.
I do think they are good for interior lights though, far less heat and won't flatten the battery so quick if you leave the door open overnight or when working on it.(in the garage obviously!)

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

You can get led replacement bulbs with different cluster configurations Eg wider or narrower spread of light.

One thing that makes a big difference is having the correct colour. A white led cluster shining through a red lens will lose a lot of light compared to a conventional bulb. Red LEDs should be used for a red lens & may be brighter than the original.

For motorbikes with one bulb doing both tail light and numberplate light you can get a mixed cluster so numberplate gets white illumination while tail lights get the correct leds.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/LED-Car-Bulbs-c-1337/