Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
peetee59
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

oil leak

Post by peetee59 »

I am new to this forum,brought my little moggy all the way from scotland,no problem,now i find there is an oil leak.I am a competent spray painter but mechanically have,only basic knowledge.This maybe a silly question ,but is there any area its likely to come from,any help woould be greatly appreciated.# Pete :cry:
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: oil leak

Post by PSL184 »

It can come from anywhere there is oil in the car, ie engine, gearbox, back axle - Give us a clue of the general area and we'll go from there....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They all leak to a degree.....tell us where it's coming from -and roughly how much ??
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Welcome to the forum Pete,and the wonderful world of Moggies :D Most stuff is simple,a manual helps but never gives all the detail. Loads of good advice on here,and if you want to know what NOT to do,just ask,I've probably messed it up myself already.Where are you at the moment?
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

Thankyou so much for your comments,it is coming from the front end only,just checked,just at the back of the sump there is around a tablespoon of oil collected on a plastic bag i put there.Then about a foot or so behind the sump to the rear (near cross member) there is a patch of oil ,but its just spread and not puddled.I am going to respray the car in (teal blue) would that be right for a 1967 saloon,however i need to sort this leak out first.I have to say i love moggys,i am 60 this year and always promised myself i would treat myself one day,and this is solid ,but in need of some attention to the body to make her look great again.Please ,please help me.I used to have one in black back in 1973,lovely cars
Pete
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The leak at the rear of the sump - may be from the sump gaskets - so wipe it all clean and then take a drive to see. OR - it may be coming from the rear crank seal in which case it will be dribbling from the 'jiggle pin' which hangs down from the little hole in the gearbox. Again wipe clean and observe after a good run. The leak further back may just be oil that has been thrown back from the sump/jiggle. So again - wipe clean and observe. Take great care when going under the car - a Minor owner was killed a couple of weeks ago when his car fell on him......... So use axle stands AND supports under the body before you go under.
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

Thankyou for your help,i will do as you suggest, i do have axle stands so i will be careful(thankyou).
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Remember to put a bit of thin wood on the "Cradle" of the axle stand to protect the chassis,and chock the rear after you jack it :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't just rely on 'axle stands' - put spare wheels or ramps or piles of timber under the car to catch it if it does fall!
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

I was thinking of driving it onto my new ramps,and then chck the rear wheels???????What do you think???
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Perhaps - but the ramps may be better used as supports to jam under the car body once you have it jacked up...... Cars have been known to topple off ramps before now.......
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

Regarding the oil leak i was asking about,i have located the drainage plug on the bottom of the gear box,and it is where i can see oil (drip) What could this be????????
Pete
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

peetee59 wrote:Regarding the oil leak i was asking about,i have located the drainage plug on the bottom of the gear box,and it is where i can see oil (drip) What could this be????????
Pete
Maybe a good opportunity to change the gearbox oil and nip the plug.Or just nip the plug.
I like ptfe thread tape, just a little to help seal said plugs but there are others who feel it is not necessary of course :wink:
But the quickest way out is try a little tightening.Not masses, just a nip.
Where angels fear to tread
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

I tried to nip it up Moggie but nothing happened it was tight enough,i think i will drain the gear box and either renew the plug or try ptf tape as you suggest.I have just had a look underneath to check it out more for leaks and having dried everything up i found a very small drip at the back of the sump,although it was on the joint of the casing adjoining the sump,it was either from the back and dripping down the sump or from the casing as i said adjoining the sump.any ideas anyone,do i buy a new sump kit aswell???????????????? HELP :) :oops:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

All Minors leak there to an extent......and probably some has blown back onto the gearbox plug. I suggest you do precisely nothing... Wipe it all clean and wait/see if anything develops.
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

What about the sump area as i suggested,have you any ideas bmcecosse????
Pete
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's normal - stop worrying about trivialities ! :roll:
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

I am a worrier my friend cant help it,is it the norm for these cars to lose a little oil ????? It is only a small ammount but if i can attempt a cure i will,with help from my bible and guys like your self bmcecosse.
Pete :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They ALL leak - don't worry. Your car will soon enough give you something serious to worry about....... :roll: :wink:
Meantime relax! If it drove down from ecosseland (where did it come from?) then there can't be much wrong with it!!
ImageImage
peetee59
Minor Fan

Post by peetee59 »

I drove her from Armadale,never missed a beat,i am going to paint her,but i thought i would try,i say try to sort out any mechanical issues first...My problem is when i bought her,i knew she was not trafalgar blue(well i thought that) and have bought 6 litres of Teal blue,but when i have done my searches,i found that Teal blue was only on travellers post 1970,oh my god what do i do i thought.So as it is in dire need of a body work over,and paint,Teal blue it is,usually you get the paint code from the vin,but not on a moggy you dont (or do you)????? I have posted a couple of pics,but they dont really show you the true colour,so you tell me what would you do??????????/ See you later my friend from Scotland,you have always replied to all of my questions,thats nice to know,if if its body work or paint you need help with ,then i am here for you or any member of this wonderful website.
Pete :lol: :wink: