Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MColes
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

MMOCYM @ the NEC

Post by MColes »

Last year while at the Classic car show at the Birmingham NEC myself and Andy Wilson were approached by a few of the 'MMOC officials' and asked if the Young Members Register would like to display some of its member's cars on the stand at the show this year (November 2012). Now I know a lot of you would like to display your cars but there are a number of things to consider.

1) The club is only allocated a very small amount of space. Infact at this moment in time the size of the allocated pitch has yet to be confirmed. There is usually space for around 6 cars, USUALLY! We shall have to wait to hear from the organisers to confirm the exact number.

2) Availability. The show is a week later than usual this year and is on the weekend of Friday 16 to Sunday 18 November. The cars need to be at the NEC on Thursday 15 for build up of the stand and will have to remain in place until the show closes on Sunday evening. You can bring your car to the NEC and go home and return on the Sunday to pic the car up if you wish. If you stay there is the issue of accommodation.

3) Accommodation and Costs. Most of us younger members do not have a large amount in the bank account due to being in or just leaving university. In previous years exhibitors have stayed at a local hotel, last year we used the Ramada Encore which is on site at the NEC and worked out at £50/night for the room. Meals are on top of this including breakfast (which we usually have at the NEC because it works out cheaper!) We usually book the accommodation and get a discount for a block booking but if you want to make your own arrangements there would be no problem. Bed and breakfasts can sometimes work out a bit cheaper but then you have to make arrangements to get to the NEC each day, which could cancel out the saving. The MMOC make an allowance for exhibitors for accommodation which is £20/night per car. This will offset some of the cost but doesn't cover all of it (don't forget your will need to eat the rest of the day as well as breakfast!).

4) Exhibitor participation, I know this isn't going to be a problem for most of us as we are all too happy to talk about our cars. Exhibitors are expected to spend a part of every day of the show on the stand to help with any information that the public needs with regards to the Young Members Register and the club as a whole. It is hard work and tiring but great fun.

If you feel that you fulfill the above criteria (i.e. if you are available on the dates mentioned, if you have the money for accommodation plus other additional costs if you are staying with your car and you are willing to help run the club stand) then please drop me a message stating your interest.

Please think long and hard before putting your name forward as we can't afford to have people dropping out at the last moment.

Thanks,

Matt Coles
Head of Register
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MMOCYM @ the NEC

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

What a great opportunity for the Young Members to promote the register and also for the club to show that its not just an older persons car!

If its of any help Stevey and I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which is within walking distance of the NEC and if booked early is reasonably priced. Two years ago when we went it was only £29 per room per night.

Too many Minors so little time.....
MColes
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: MMOCYM @ the NEC

Post by MColes »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:If its of any help Stevey and I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which is within walking distance of the NEC and if booked early is reasonably priced. Two years ago when we went it was only £29 per room per night.
Very hand to know David! Especially for us poor young people! :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE