1970 Morris Minor 1000 2dr Trafalgar Blue RUN 634H

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1970 Morris Minor 1000 2dr Trafalgar Blue RUN 634H

Post by wheelynutz »

Hi Guys and Girls
I've recently joined the fold and have purchased the 1970 Trafalgar Blue moggie that was up on here for sale.
I've already put a post up here if you haven't seen it http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 16#p406016
I bought the moggie to do up for when i am 17 in a years time as it will be my daily runner.
Anyway here's the motor

The moggie has had:
A front disc brake conversion totaling £454.73 in 2000, i think the conversion was from and ital as in the service history it has had two new front bearings for morris ital van in the parts list but i will be posting up pics to make sure.
An engine rebuild back in 1999 totaling £1322.49 by morris services with a new mgm engine so also assuming the unleaded conversion was done then and also had a borg and beck clutch fitted at the same time. It has only covered 6000 miles since all that work was done so the engine is virtually new.
Some welding to the floor adjoining cross member outer end and chassis leg and then all under sealed.
And a cherished car underwriting agency valuation certificate for £2000 back in 2000.

The moggie has only done 6000 miles since 1999 and about 20 miles since 2006.

Isn't too bad for £500 i think :D

I have managed to get it turning over and surprisingly the battery still had quite a bit of charge in it and it has been connected for 4 years without 1 start.
It isn't getting fuel (pump) or a spark (i'll clean all the points, dizzy and cap etc...) but before i try and get it running i'll change the fuel in the tank. Shame as it has over 1/4 of a tank in it.

I'm going to convert it to negative earth, alternator, electronic ignition, electric screen wash, screw on oil filter and probably a few more bits over time.

Is there anyway to check the mileage (apart from looking at the odometer) as it says 18,000 but its probably gone round the clock at least once and i want to know how to check unless i have to try and trace the owners. But i'm not too fussed if i can find out as i'll just assume its 118,000 instead of 18,000.

Right off now to give the door cards a clean :D
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Re: 1970 Morris Minor 1000 2dr Trafalgar Blue RUN 634H

Post by wheelynutz »

Here are the area's of rust:

Passenger's side rear inner boot next to the rear light wires.
Drivers side rear inner boot next to the rear light wires. This has gone through and has made a hole annoyingly. What area is this called and what repair panel will in need to get or will i just make it up from a piece of sheet metal?

Bit difficult to see so will try and get another pic tomorrow but it is a rust hole on the o/s/r sill at the bottom underneath. What would this area be called and what repair panel will i need.

O/S/F bottom of inner wheel arch and a bit more going back a bit further. And once again what is this area called and what repair panel would be needed.

This is the worst rust on the car, the n/s/f bottom of inner wheel arch and every thing else you see there. Haven't quite got my head around how to tackle this yet but all advice is taken with much appreciation.

An annoying bit on the bottom of the passenger side wing. It is the worst bit on the body.

And the usual bits on the bottom of the boot. Looks like its already been tackled once.

And could do without this as well. What bit is it called again? It's right on the tip of my tongue :x
But the door is still aligned fine so it isn't too bad.

Any way that's all the major bits of rust.
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

And my final post of the day.
Today i have given the moggie a very good clean as it needed it.
I have done all the door shuts, inside of doors, all the channels, all rubber window seals, spare wheel, top of fuel tank, inside of the boot, under side of bonnet, bulkhead, anywhere else under the bonnet i could get a sponge in, the car obviously and then gave it all a chamois.

Popped off the hub caps and wheel trims as i was giving it a very thorough clean and look how nice they where behind there :wink:

It looks so much different with the caps and trims off. And especially when they are clean :D lol

Now thats looking a bit better
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Looks Good!

regards the mileage, there is little in the way that you can tell other than history. If it had an engine rebuild then you can almost certainly assume that it has gone round the clock.

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I'm pretty sure it's been round the clock so i'm going to assume that, especially as it has had and engine rebuild like you said.
Any way today's progress. I took the door cards and door pulls home last night to give them a clean, so i put them back on. But before putting all the chrome bits back on the inside on the doors i gave them all a clean with some chrome cleaner and they are all like new now :D
Cleaned every bit of chrome up on the doors wing mirrors, door handles etc..., little eyebrow bits on the top of the headlights, bonnet emblem and bonnet handle bit (brains gone dead can't remember what it is called), rear light chrome bits and the rear number plate.
I've also cleaned the rotor arm and points and now i have a good spark, cleaned the plugs, put some fresh petrol in the float bowl and it nearly went but i think the fuel needs some pressure so i will do the pump anyway as i need to do it, then i'll change the fuel in the tank.

Now that number plate looks lovely, lots of character

Before cleaning
After cleaning and door card all back on and looking a bit better, nice shiny chrome :D
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Your number plate looks very period, but do you know it is not correct for the Minor? The original style rear number plate is a special size (rounded corners and no border) to fit the boot lid recess.

Not trying to criticise, your car looks great and looks to be an absolute bargain for £500. As you have shown there is quite a lot of welding to do, but cosmetically it looks fantastic. If the engine, driveline, brakes and suspension are all good then you are on to a winner.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I was wondering if it was not standard but i'm going to keep it because i think it looks quite nice.
There is a bit of welding to do, but it is 41 years old what do you expect.
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Absolutely!

Sorry, hope I didn't cause offence! Anyway there is all the help you need on here to get that sorted!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Neil MG wrote: Sorry, hope I didn't cause offence!
Thats all right mate, you didn't :D
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Even with that bit of welding needed, seems like a good buy for £500, given the nearly-new engine and disc brakes. Hope you enjoy it!
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

IT LIVES!!!
IT LIVES!!!
:D

Took the fuel pump home, gave it a bit of a clean and it was a bit stuck as well, so i free'd it all up and got it working. Could do with some new fuel pump points though, esm here we come. Gave the points on the moggie another clean and the plugs and then drained the tank and put some fresh petrol in it. Some patience and it started to go, a bit more fettling and it was running ok, think it missing one one cylinder though, so will give it a run and then remove one ht lead one by one to see if it is, but it isn't too bad for the first time its been run in four years, it backfired a few times but then it finally went :D
I also had to move it under its own power (thought i'd treat it :))
And the dog was nodding happily in the back as well.
I took a vid of it running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRwJfBQc5M
Then i moved it because i just had to then my dad said that i'd not had a pic of me and the moggie so he took a vid of me moving it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFQz3AOGGY
And i had to get on of the dog as well :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T1XGxfk_xA
And yes chrisd87 enjoy is a bit of an understatement :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Even your nodding dog looks happy :D :D I got my first minor when I was 15, like yours a 2 door trafalgar blue saloon and Im still driving it 20 years later.

It does sound like your only running on 3 cylinders, as you say check each plug individually for a spark, a new seat is pretty cheap so maybe worth getting all 4. I noticed the charging light on as well, is it not charging? Just be aware if the points on the regulator stick it can do damage to the wiring and dynamo so worth looking at soon.

Too many Minors so little time.....
ariannas

Post by ariannas »

Hi James

Fantastic news! Very pleased to see it running - and the dog nodding happily too (has it got a name yet?).

Now off to Cornwall but I'll keep following progress once I'm back,

Arianna
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Just a note on the number plate - that is a front one. When sitting behind a row of our club member's cars, those with newer plates/restored or replaced had the silver bit on the edges (like the front plates). We had a laugh about it because it took so long to work out why they each looked different :lol: .
The car looks a good one. Mine was in an old couples dry garage for 30 years & I bought mine for £600 - bargain just like yours!
I'm 19 and my car is my first & only and am still in love with it. She is even used everyday! Do you have Facebook - if so PM me your email or name & we'll get you added. Certainly helpful just like this forum.

Look forward to the restoration of it & enjoy!
Steve

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

And could do without this as well. What bit is it called again? It's right on the tip of my tongue
Also - I beleive these are door jambs? But I may be wrong :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Thanks guys :D
I started it up and took one of the ht leads off the plugs one by one (obviously putting the one i took off before, back on) and the first one i pulled off, sounded exactly the same, 3 cylinder engine, took another off, sounded exactly the same :o, 2 cylinder engine, and the other two were fine. (Taking them off nearest the grill first) So it wants to be a two cylinder at the mo lol
The ht leads have started to break down which i think are the main cause for the cylindrical problems (god that was a long word :D ) so i've ordered new ones along lots more bits as follows:
Dashpot Oil
Engine oil (Castrol Classic Oil XL20w/50 1 Gallon)
Magnetic Sump Plug
Fuel pump to carb pipe (current one has seen better days)
Rotor arm (current slightly burnt)
Fuel pump points (current one's are pretty bad)
Air Filter
Screw on oil filter conversion kit with filter
4 new NGK Plugs
Blue Silicone By Pass Hose (current is a bit perished and i'm going to take the rad out and take the paint off and polish up the brass)
And a dizzy cap (current is ok but not brilliant)
stephenpolhill wrote:Just a note on the number plate - that is a front one. When sitting behind a row of our club member's cars, those with newer plates/restored or replaced had the silver bit on the edges (like the front plates).
What i'm probally going to do to the number plates are use the back one on the front (mainly as it is a front one in better nick than the front one) and get a correct shape one for the back and keep the other as a spare.
stephenpolhill wrote:Do you have Facebook - if so PM me your email or name & we'll get you added. Certainly helpful just like this forum.
Yep i do and i have joined mmocym (god that was a mouth full :D lol)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:Even your nodding dog looks happy :D :D
Yep he is :D
But for some reason he loves to nod all the time lol :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote: It does sound like your only running on 3 cylinders,
Wrong, only two cylinders lol
But its still starts first time :lol:
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:I noticed the charging light on as well, is it not charging? Just be aware if the points on the regulator stick it can do damage to the wiring and dynamo so worth looking at soon.
I assume that light is the red ignition light?
When i had it running yesterday i took the negative battery terminal off (still currently on positive earth) and it cut out.
I've never owned a moggie before or anything of a similar age so i didn't know if all moggies where like that or not but i didn't think they did.
I am also converting it to an alternator and negative earth but still how do i check the points on the regulator and where abouts is the reg as i currently dont have a haynes manual for me mog :o , i've got about 100 old haynes manuals but not one for a moggie :x (i am willing to swap a few of my haynes manuals for one moggie book if anyone is interested).
stephenpolhill wrote:
And could do without this as well. What bit is it called again? It's right on the tip of my tongue
Also - I beleive these are door jambs? But I may be wrong :lol:
I've found out and its a very technical name, its a "Door hinge piller", i love how technical the british are lol :D
Well thats what esm called that panel anyway.
ariannas wrote:Hi James

Fantastic news! Very pleased to see it running - and the dog nodding happily too (has it got a name yet?).

Now off to Cornwall but I'll keep following progress once I'm back,

Arianna
Hi Arianna
It hasn't got a name yet but i am still looking for one but i have never named any of the cars as i can never choose :roll:
On another note, did you get the garage sorted? Send me a pm or email.
Have a good time in Cornwall :)

Right i can't be arsed to type any more so i'll do a bit more tomoz on my not very long update.
Right, time for bed i think :) .
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Really good to see your enthusiam and enjoyment in 'discovering' how your Minor works - takes me back to my first car -a white 1000 Traveller (which I'm still trying to find - FYY 809J -see other post)

David is right to get you to look at the red charging light - with a dynamo, it is normal for the red light to flicker when idling - say at traffic lights etc. but, if the dynamo is doing its job, it should go out when the revs are increased. If it stays on, or only goes out with very high revs then the dynamo is past its best. It's wuite an easy job to replace the brushes in the dynamo or, as you suggest, fit an alternator. Either way, until that's done you are going to find you'll be charging the battery a lot!

Good luck with the project and keep posting to let us all know how its going :wink:

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Thanks for that bruce
I've put a post on your topic in finding you old traveller as well.
I'll check the light and the charging, but i will get all the bits i have ordered and put them on and give it a service and getting running good on all 4. The mog is going to be my daily so i'm going to convert it to neg earth and alternator as it will be much more reliable and i will have to fit a radio and a few more after market things that require negative earth and an alternator.

I've got just under a year to get the moggie all back on the road and i have fridays and sundays off so those are my days i am doing bits and bobs the the mog.

Right to the front brakes
The other day i removed the front wheel to see what type of disc conversion it has had, and i believe they are marina by looking at them. They are dual piston and seem to be in very good nick, also the disc has been drilled to the correct 4" stud pattern.
They are sticking at the front so i will need to free them up, probably because they have been sitting for 4 years.

The number on the caliper you can see in pic two is 64327 647. If anyone could confirm what type of system it is and what car it is based/came from that would be great as i will have to buy new pads and discs in the future and its always nice to know.

It likes to cut the right bit of the pic off on this system on the forum so here is the link to my photobucket so you can see the pics better and a bit bigger http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j40 ... tz/Moggie/
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Yay the bits i ordered from esm arrived today :D :D :D :D :D
I will be fitting them on friday.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Nothing quite like the thrill of a box of nice shiny new parts arriving is there! Especially when you know they'll make the car go better :D

Good luck with the fitting!