1970 Morris Minor 1000 2dr Trafalgar Blue RUN 634H

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1970 Morris Minor 1000 2dr Trafalgar Blue RUN 634H

Post by wheelynutz »

Thanks for that chris, i will probally lower it later on as it gives a better stance but will get it all solid and on the road first :D
I got the bits from esm during the week and fitted them today.
So my other shiney rocker cover is now all held in place securely and sealed up fine with a new gasket. (old one was not leaking and fine but they only cost £1 so thought i'd treat it to a new one :D)
And here are a few more pics

Also as i have now got it running very nicly i thought i'd get a vid of it farting :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pUFm9RK ... er&list=UL

Also one reason for the charging light to be on is there was 1 wire that wasn't attached to the dynamo. So i re-attached it and now the light starts to go dim at high revs so it still needs the brushes to be changed, which i will do once i get a little bit more dosh.
green123
Minor Fan

Post by green123 »

hows progress on the morris minor does it need welding? and are you going to do it yourself
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Its coming on well but currently not a lot is happening as i have been working on the mx5 and spraying parts for the 5 as well. I've changed the oil and put the new screw on conversion kit on and a few more bits and bobs but just niggly little things so that is why i did't put it up on the thread. Xmas is soon and all i have asked for is money (mainly as i'm skint) but mostly because it will get a few more bits done on the mog.
It does need welding but i've never welded myself, i know how to weld and watched many people weld but i haven't got the skill to do the different types of welding i need to do on the moggie so i will probably get someone to do it for me but i will NOT get a patchy bodge job, its been on this earth for over 40 years and i would like to keep it on the earth for another 40 years :D .
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Right bit of an update.
I had a day off college today so i thought id go round and do some bits to the mog.
This is how it looked like last time

And this is what it looks like now

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Well, that's better!? :-?
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I took the front panel and the rad off so I can clean everything up. Dynamo is off for new brushes, clean up and paint, and also the engine will be cleaned and re painted in bmc green, all rust will be sorted before bits going back on and rad well be all cleaned and polished. I'm going to take the calipers off the front tomorrow so I can rebuild them as they are still sticking and they have been sat for 4 years. New thermostat is needed as its doesnt open and thermostat housing as it cracked when taking it off. And new bolts for the front panel and rubber side sealing strips as they are just completely dead.
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Right not done much to her in a while, mainly as i have been fiddling with mx5's and just got the new turbo mx5, 230bhp :D

Anyway I managed to get the dynamo apart (the bolts hadn't been off in many many years) and when i got it apart it was completely gummed up with rubbish, so i cleaned the commutator and all the other bits up and have put new brushes in it (old ones where dead), and have just given it a lick of bmc green and it's looking much nicer now.
And today i have managed to get two wheels with tyres and all balanced up (tyres are nearly new (7.5mm) of tread and rims are in good nick to), indicator stalk, chrome headlight rings, indicator lens and a switch for £20 :D :D :D , i'm a very happy bunny.
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Right an update,
I am off for 2 weeks (well 1 now) so i made my self actually get the mog going again, so
I have given the bay and engine a clean and put all my new hoses, thermostat housing, thermostat, dynamo and lots of other bits all on and put the rad and grill back on, blead the system and all back together and running beautifully.
Also i found some brake pistons so i ordered them and 2 days later they arrived. So then sunday afternoon i set about rebuilding them, the cylinders where had quite a bit of surface rust as they had been apart for a while so i had no choice about splitting them apart and give them a bloody good clean up, so a few hours later they are all rebuild and back together. Put them on the mog today and the passenger one leaks from where the two join together and somehow i lost two of the bolts that hold them on :x , so i was rather annoyed but on the other hand the horn and charging system started working :D
I closed the bonnet and it must of re jigged a loose wire and they are working.
The charging wasn't working even with my re done dynamo, it was the regulator not contacting and just couldn't get it working, was going to replace it but now it works fine and the red light goes out :D

More piccies:

Clean dynamo

New Caliper Pistons

So why do they need replacing i wonder :wink:

Some cool pics
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

love that bonnet badge shot, very imaginative imagery.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

BIG UP for Footman James!! ..........

I was despairing that i'd need to sell my beloved Minor as the cheapest insurance quote I could get was £2600! TPF&F.
Footman James comes in at half that for a Fully comp cover which is the same on provisional and full license. Althought it's still a big expense, it is do-able for me and will mean that I don't need to sell up my MM. i'm 17 and my MM is my first car.

Footman James to the rescue!!......
Matt Morris
Minor Friendly

Post by Matt Morris »

That is a PHENOMINAL price!!! :lol:

Insurance drives me mad nowadays. I heard this morning on the radio that insurance over the last ten years has gone up by 184% !! :o :o :x

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

Well yesterday i fitted my radio as it gets one more part out of my room and i am very pleased with my work, it looks really good and really neat.

I will wire it all up with speakers once i convert it to neg earth and fit an alternator as i will be fitting a fag lighter (don't smoke but for sat nav's and tyre pumps etc...), maybe hazards, rev, oil and water gauges and a few more bits and bobs.

Also once i removed the gloveboxes, behind the dash are some wires that are not plugged in and wondered if any of you lot know where and what they connect to, if they do.

This pic is better, you can see all of it http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j40 ... nt=104.jpg

And then took it for a spin (need to find the socket to remove the steering wheel as its doing my head in with it on sque whiff)

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

those wires ( barring the last black one) are connected- the block is one big bullet connector linking upto 4 together. the last one is an earth- not sure where it leads to, but if you want to plug it in just find another black connector with black wires going into it- there should be one nearby.

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

just looked at the last wire again- does your interior light work when you slide the switch? if not then that is the earth for the switch, it needs to be connected to earth. the door switches work separately.

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

done some more thinking-
this wire:[frame]Image[/frame]
should connect to these wires via the black connector block - its the passenger door light switch for the interior light[frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Chris

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

You my sir are a star, that all makes sense now :D
I had bought and replaced the light as the old one was beyond dead like they all are, so i got a new one off esm, a new bulb and two new door push button bits (that tell it to come on when the door opens) as they had stuck closed. Put it all together and it worked but not with the passenger door or the slidey bit, and also it was temperamental (just sorted it, had to turn the bulb in the unit) and i have just put the long pass door wire into the connecting block with the drivers door one and that now works and the other into the earth and the slidey bit now works 8)
I like things working :D
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Excellent! I only know that because mine was the same!

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Looks like a good project, how is the welding on the car coming along??
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Looking at all those weld items , to me seems unfortunately the amount of repair work may be in excess of what it looks like. I think you are going to need some space and hopefully a good power supply to your workshop area. You may find getting a mobile welder chappie in to do in stages each of the four corners. Looks like the A Post area to the O/S front ( removal of front wing , short trim under door , kick plate , internal carpets , inner card panel and possibly parcel shelf. This will probably show that half the rear inner front wing is in need of repair , the A post sandwich and at least some of the outer sill area and maybe the sill strengthening box section end. The rear wing C post lowers much the same , with extension of the rust under the rear seats , behind the rear side trims and into the rear spring hanger ( so petrol tank out for safe welding ). Plus rubbing down the rear of the outer wings , prime fill and repaint. Not difficult but fiddly to do properly
bazza1234
Minor Friendly

Post by bazza1234 »

My father inlaw spotted this today. Who owns it now? Its in Devon.
Attachments
IMG-20231122-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20231122-WA0007.jpg (282.65 KiB) Viewed 15820 times