1954 series 11 black 4 door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1954 series 11 black 4 door

Post by stevey »

Yes this shiny shell!!!! smashing job! spent today putting the doors back together. horrible fiddly job that! especially those rear weather strips, but its done now. let the assembly begin![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I can say without hesitation that 4 door doors are so much more complicated and fiddly to put back together than the ones a 2 door or traveller. Very much over engineered with too many parts and screws to drop into the bottom of them.

Too many Minors so little time.....
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dalebrignall »

looks a fantastic job :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

More done today. brakes are in an bled. new piped and cylinders all round. the master cylinder got new seals but was in great nick. Had issues with one of the wee pipes that connect the 2 front cylinders - one end had a bad thread. Apart from that it went together not too badly, though some pipes seem a bit long. New wiring loom is in as well ready to be connected up. Coming on well! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It looks really good. Are all those other Minors yours as well?? :o :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

No, Im the one guilty of owning all those other minors :lol:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Nothing to feel guilty about, I wish I had a collection like that. It must have taken a few years to build up though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Looks superb! always good to start rebuilding a car once painted and see it all come together again! :)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

So the engine is in, and everything connected up, after some timing issues it started!!! We then connected a radiator in an old front panel and it was running well and filled the garage with smoke :P and of course the semaphores are finally back in place after being tested a long while back! [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Heres a link to you tube to show it motoring!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRpoh2OJNs8

Progressing well, perhaps it will be in one piece in time for this years national after all. The rest of the panels are still in the paint shop.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Yes it runs!!!![frame]Image[/frame]
first fire up, burning off the oil in the bores :)

temporary front panel fitted at see if it would run ok, so David and i took i for a run! runs well[frame]Image[/frame]

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I see you have a lovely NOS goldseal engine fitted :D :lol: :roll: :oops:
Quote "Yes it runs" I remember foggy days like that from when I was a child

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

the engine was in great nick actually :D

Wyliecoyote
Minor Fan

Post by Wyliecoyote »

Looking really well! You fellas are way ahead of me now!!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Great to see it back on the 'road'.....
.......... just hope it didn't rain! :lol:
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

well, here we go that dreaded job. fitting the split window. David used an old split screen pillar with about 1 1/2' cut off each end and join the 2 pieces of glass together along with the rubber spacer and inside metal strip, then we fitted the rubber to the glass.
[frame]Image[/frame]
[frame]Image[/frame]
Next we fitted strong string in the gap in the rubber that goes to the body and thin string in the gap for the chrome insert. I held the glass from the inside of the car pushing outward. We started at the bottom using a screw driver to carefully lift the edge over the body, once started the string was used to tease the lip over all the way around. The problem with this is that while doing one side the other side wanted to slip out of the windscreen aperture so it was a bit of a feat to hold one side in while still putting pressure on the other side. Eventually it was in. There's not much of a lip on the rubber to hold it all in!!.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

After this the old cut pillar was removed and the the new pillar and chrome clips fitted. After this the whole thing was sealed[frame]Image[/frame]

Fitting the chrome has actually been the most difficult. Its rechromed and wont fit correctly, especially the passsenger side as it just springs up! borrowed a bumper and stuck the number plate on it. looks like a car again :P

The rear window was easy enough, glass fitted to rubber and pushed from the inside out.

We progress :D[frame]Image[/frame]

(ps the blue rags are there to stop the waxoil dripping out while we poured it down the sills!)

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Another pair of hands would have made it easier, as you could really do with pressure on both panes of glass from the inside. Stevey didnt mention that the rubber was soaked in some hot water for a while before fitting to the glass to help make it pliable. the small peices of cloth under the centre clips are to stop the clips digging into the fresh paint until the chrome finishers are fitted. I think that the passenger side will need some filing from the centre to help it to push further in the the clips and closer to the rubber to hold it in place.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Played about with the door cards today. Most of the original clips were broken or pulled out of the card. I carefully drilled small holes in the backs of the card to fit the more modern type of clip where the card was damaged.[frame]Image[/frame] (later clip on left, early one on right)

After fixing the clips, i re stapled the beading where it had pulled way from the board. I then replaced the chrome strips - they are held on with clips on the back and are just folded over to hold them. looking good for 60 years old! :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

robby
Minor Friendly

Post by robby »

That`s looking a superb example Stevey, especially in black. I love black cars, but getting the paint right is such a swine, it shows every little blemish if you have any. Obviously, you don`t and it looks great :)

Rob
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think this is coming along really nicely.
I'm watching how you refit the split-screen with interest, as a split-screen Moggie is very high on my wishlist. With this in mind I will be really interested to see how you overcome your problems with the chrome windscreen finisher / surround that doesn't want to sit in place at present.
Best wishes,
Mike.