Project V8

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Project V8

Post by lukedauvergne »

It never stops amazing me the ability of some of the people on this forum! Great build!!
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

Rear Springs: Aim for a wheel rate of about 200 lb / inch as a starting point (assuming you have about 100mm of bump travel)
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

The engine ready for fitting
Don't let the dream stealers get you
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Looking good.
You may find that connecting the vacuum advance isn't the best move. Apparently the edelbrock draws too much air and over advances things. I removed my connection and advanced the static timing a bit and it went quite a bit better. Plenty info here http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/index.ph ... cdc094a89c about getting the best out your engine.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

some more progress has been made and some lost, as you can see from the photos the engine is in but it will be in and out again as the eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the suspension is missing. When it came to it, I was having more and more problems trying to get the steering geometry correct, and having done that the steering rod ends were at too much of an angle. so what I have now and am in the process of fitting is the crossmember from an mgb complete with suspension steering and brakes. so far it seems to be working out. the only question mark will be the ride height, I'll crossthat bridge when I get to it.
I am also due to go to Crown Court on Monday against the scumbag who assualted me and stole my tools, will keep you posted, in the meantime here are a couple of pics
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

This week has been a bad weeek. The Police messed up on the ID evidence and so the scumbag walked away without so much as a peek at the courtroom. And to make things worse I cut my hand with an angle grinder, which involved a trip to the hospital. But despite that a milestone was reached as the engine and gearbox went in for the final time and was bolted in. The MGB crossmember has worked really well and everything is now coming together.

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Scum always seem to get away with things :evil: project is looking great
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

I have just recieved the new springs and bushes for the front suspension, so will set to as soon as poss. Meanwhile I have managed to get the inside of the car pretty well sorted, the transmision tunnel is bigger than I had planned but that is due to the mini heater, but at least it solves the problem of where to put the extra guages and cup holder, the whole lot will be covered in carpet and leather.
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

Back from hols and now trying to find the time to get the car ready for painting. I have to get the front tyres fitted 195/60/15 and then check clearances before I hand the car to the painters. I have a small amount of welding to do in the boot around the fuel tank which is 9 1/2 galls. the brakes are MGB and there are many upgrades available for these, but at this time these will do.
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

Almost ready for painting, just a few things to trial fit then off to the paint shop, colour will be old english white with a dark pearl blue on the roof, not sure how that will look we shall see.
63V8
Minor Friendly

Post by 63V8 »

meerkat wrote:I seem to have gone full circle in life, many years ago I used to belong to a car club based at cuxton marina, where I met the owner of the green mog, the blue traveller parked next to it in the carpark was mine. then MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY happened in my life and I moved to the tonbridge area.
Hi Steve great to see all your hard work getting to the paint and detailing stage as we seem to share the same taste in Moggies as I now own the one you parked next to all those years ago 8). It has more ground clearance these days with steels for the sleeper look and was very well built.
As it is these days
http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/ftopic5245-0-asc-0.php

Your paint choice reminds me of Nick Manns Minor without the orange stripes,look forward to seeing more pics

Andy

meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

thanks for that I cant remember the chaps name who built it in the first place. I wonder if he is still into minors. I have bought done up and sold several over the years, but fully intend to keep this one.
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

Almost there
Last edited by meerkat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Looks very nice :)
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

amazing what a good paint job does, in an earlier photo it shows you have taken a large area out of the front wing, but once sprayed up it is not obvious at all
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

Finally it's nearing completion and when I started I thought it would be a good idea to do the blog and keep a tally on what I had spent.
From the outset the moggy was bought for the v8 conversion and this was the model I chose and it was to have a strict budget of £5000, I wanted a 3.9 inj but ended up with a 3.5 for which I paid £80 all it required was shells, rings, gaskets and a new cam/followers. Wheels and tyres 7x15 with 215/60 £120 ebay.rear axle £40. the list is endless but needles to say the postman will be glad when it's done. I have gone over the budget by £300 this was largely down to the sprayjob which was £1500 and the countless cutting and grinding discs and 2 grinders. I had some bargains Audi TT seat for £105. The sheet metal most of which was sourced from the scrap bin at a local engieering shop. I also managed to sell engine axles and interior from the car on ebay, even the old damp doorcards sold for £20.
I still have to buy a few things to finish kenlow fan, carpets, various other items which seem to cost £75 each, so I think the total cost will be around £5800, One of the other hidden costs is carriage costs, the project has taken about 18 months and I must have spent over £200 on postage. I hope this has been of interest to people, will let you know how the mot goes.
Now then, I wonder if I can get a traveller onto a land rover chassis.......
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

meerkat wrote:Now then, I wonder if I can get a traveller onto a land rover chassis.......
with your level of skill.. yes
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

Have got round to final fitting out, the wiring loom is in and everything works however, the fuel guage in the speedo reads full when there is only 2 gallons in the tank, but turn the ignition off and it goes back to zero!! I have no pressure on the clutch so hopefully it's just a matter of bleeding the system. I think I will have to get stronger springs for the rear as the car seems to have settled a bit too much and while it looks awesome like this it will be a bit impracticle when trying to negotiate the ramp for the mot, those are the niggles at the moment which considering what it's gone through I'm happy. I'm still hoping for the mot this week so fingers crossed. anyone out there who can tell me how to get an agreed valuation.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Just tell your insurance company what you value it at - that's all I did.

PO
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]