Modified front and rear

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MGs
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Modified front and rear

Post by MGs »

GDL wrote:Here is a picture of mine with just over riders on the front and nowt on the rear.
I have since put metal plates on the car and a chrome sorround to the rear plate. I used the exisitng mounts but chut the rear of the over riders to slide of the bar and used a bolt either side of the inner part of the over rider to tighten and secure.

To fix the number plates i used big washers behind the grill (but drilled through the grill) and a coach bolt through the plate, this i found was secure and nobody can undo your number plate.
Interesting to see the front uprriders that way round. I have bored out the holes on my rear ones and will bolt them direct
on to the bumper mounting rods. With my parking I need the rear ones :D
Old car owners don't die......they just rust away
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:Are you putting the chrome hockey sticks and top bar on? Good work though.
Yes, the hockey sticks and top bar will be going back on. Just trial fitting the panels at the moment, just so that
I know how close I can attach the overriders. I had to drill out and tap most of the treads as they had sheared,
but now have new studs attached. The chrome is original if a bit pitted, but I wanted to keep as much of the
car as I could. I may upgrade later, but want to get it back on the road first. At least removal of all of the bits
will be easier next time. I'm using stainless bolts along the bottom of the front panel as they will show and
I can't find a suitable chrome strip. These bolts will also hold the number plate bracket I have made.
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Getting much closer to getting the car back on the road now. The rear has the overriders bolted direct to the bumper supports.
Similar to those seen on other cars. It just required the holes in the overriders filing out a bit.

The front has been a bit more of a problem. Accident damage sustained by previous owners and badly repaired has made the
fitting of the panels a bit tricky.

Progress so far

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Looks good, particularly the curve of the front wing to front panel
___Anne___

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good grief...... :o I knew there was a good reason I rarely visit this section of the forum........ :-? :cry: :roll:
ImageImage
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

bmcecosse wrote:Good grief...... :o I knew there was a good reason I rarely visit this section of the forum........ :-? :cry: :roll:
That would be because your not a fan of modified minors i would presume? Each to their own! Personally i am not sure about the over riders, but as i said i think the front wing-panel looks really really well done.
___Anne___

MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Thanks. It took a lot of work to get it looking right. In answer to bmcecosse post. I really didn't have much option.
The bumper mounts, reinforcing bars, valances and bumper blades, both front and rear, were all bent beyond repair.
On a budget of less than £750 to restore the whole car, my only option was to make the best of what I had, or scrap the car.
Just replacement parts would have blown my entire budget, leaving me nice looking bumpers but nothing else.

The car was and never will be a concourse contender. Every panel has been "repaired" bodged at some stage. The idea
was to get it road worthy and to use it as my daily transport. I have owned loads of classic cars, this is the first one I have ever modified. Usually I try to keep them as original as possible. However, in the current economic climate, having some cheap transport is far better than having a pile of rusting body panels sat in the garage, waiting until I win the lottery to restore the car properly.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Totally agree - better a car on the road than a car in the garage (in bits) :D You can always add a front valance etc later if you wish.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Exactly. The lower front wing sections are aluminium plate, bolted to the front wing in 3 places, then bonded with fibreglass and a skim of filler. To remove just unbolt, and tidy up the edge of the wing. If my budget had allowed, I would have got all of the parts. If it is a choice between affording petrol or saving for cosmetic bits, I'd chose the petrol every time. Cars are meant for driving, not looking at.
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

That looks really good.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Well since you're halfway there, might as well got the whole hog and make them hydraulic...
:lol:

MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Maybe I'll remove them and fit machine guns :D
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:lol: :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

MGs wrote:Maybe I'll remove them and fit machine guns :D
No, you'll get in trouble as thats not standard - machine guns go behind sidelights :)
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Photos of the car now back together

MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

:o :o Just priced up the bare minimum of parts required to return the car to standard (bumpers/valances)

Without delivery, bolts washers etc, valance painting or welding to inner front wings......£630, so well beyond what I can afford and beyond what would be sensible to spend on a car worth this much. Pretty happy with the results so I will just drive
and enjoy it.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Good condition second hand bumper/valences crop up all the time - Ebay/autojumbles etc. Just a case of keeping your eyes open for a bargain. The superior fibreglass valences are good - about £30 each, and you've already got the overriders :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

You can pick up decent second hand complete valances for around the £30 mark, but aslong as your happy with what you have done then its all good :)
___Anne___

fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

MGs wrote:Photos of the car now back together

I thought you might be interested in these shots of my car with modifications done more than 50 years ago. I had a hard time finding a shot of the rear, I never seem to look at it from that angle :-)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

The bumpers are hardwood blocks with a band of steel wrapped around them. The front is a little more ambitious with the tubing providing a place for the number plate and a badge bar. I have a few badges but seldom mount them as I think they are too ostentatious.

Darrell McDonald
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

That is a really nice set up