Pickup restoration part three

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Pickup restoration part three

Post by mogbob »

David
Good block ... you can never be too careful jacking up a vehicle. If you recess a hole to accommodate the swivelling jack head , too deeply , you might be inviting a split at the weakest point.
Can I suggest batten around the underside or bits of plywood offcuts , nailed to the side walls of the block. Whack the nails in at an angle
20/30 degrees , alternating so the batten is gripped. If nailed at 90 degrees it's more likely to part company.
Axle stands are a bit trickier trying to guess whether they are level. People resort to gluing thick rubber matting strips to the saddle of the axle stand upright. Trim to size , you don't want to T it up , to rest on the " floppy overhang " !!
Bob
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Yes, I may well need to place the lifting block back in use before long Bob. But the great news today is... Alice passed her MOT, with just three advisories, easy fix's, except the engine oil leak, chuffed, can drive her again.

ready to go out for a spin. Once the hubcaps and rear cover are back on.

smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

actually, just noticed on the mot pass certificate above, it says ussued 8 mar 2017, but in the additional information box it says the earliest I can present the car for MOT next year is 8/2/2018?
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

They're having problems with the mot system today. You were lucky. Well done on your pass.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

That's OK, you can present your car up to a month earlier than the expiry date. I always do this so I can put any faults right whilst it is still in date for the MOT. :wink:

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Well done, don't worry about the oil leak, as someone once told me it's actually planned into the design of all Minors: Constant loss oil lubrication / rust prevention. 8)
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Congratulations David on getting Alice through the MOT. After a successful MOT my shoulders always drop as I breathe a sigh of relief
for another year. Let the hunt for the cause of the leak begin !
Bob
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Great stuff! Well done, David and Alice! 8)

Our motor vehicle inspections here in Missouri are nowhere near as detailed. In Mog's last inspection, they checked that all the lights worked and the footbrakes worked, and that was essentially it. On one hand I like that hands-off approach, because it means Mog passes, but I wish I got more professional guidance out of it like you do.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Pickupen

Post by Pickupen »

Hej this has been a fantastic time to follow your resto and has been a perfect place to goto during my own pickup -69 resto since i got the car in a basket. Your outstanding photos has helpt me a lot since spare parts catalogs not always show how it is put together. So a gigantic thank you for all the help. Thomas in Sweden.
PS In Sweden next year we will be free of Mot Control if the car is over 50 years old. The reason is that these cars are always kept in outstanding condition and driven carefully. DS :D
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks guys, great to hear that it's been helpful in helping you with your own resto project pickupen. The one thing that I needed to address was the loss of the wing mirror when I renewed the drivers side front wing, so Here Is Alice, showing off her new Mirrors.

you can't use the quarter lights though. But more importantly, visibility is excellent.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

They look good, I have mirrors with the same bracket and got fed up with them falling off though, and not being able to use the quarter light.

In the end I cut the U part off of the bracket, just leaving the flat part of the bracket where the screws are, re tapped them M4 or M5 can't remember which now.

Got some low profile dome head cap screws, drilled the window channel to suit and fitted them from the inside. The window channel felt hides them and it doesn't interfere with the window operation, and neither has the mirror fallen off !.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
What type of wood is that you're using? I ask because I would be concerned about wood cracking under load??
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Hi Jagnut, it's hardwood, Oak. It's nice and strong. After some front suspension squeeking, I put the grease gun to good use topping up the lubricant. There's a grease nipple on the offside lower trunnion...

but the same area on the opposite side has no nipple, just a space where either there never was one, or one has broken off?
now, do I get the reamer in there and cut a new thread for a replacement nipple? or are some lower trunnions designed to be used without a nipple?
Last edited by davidmiles on Wed May 24, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

I got this tap and die set at a charity fundraising event, bid cost me a tenner, not used it yet, so now could be a good time, now then, what size is the thread on that nipple?
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I believe all the suspension grease nipples are 1/4" UNF - but you might remove the one from the other lower trunnion and check it, just to be sure. They ought to be the same.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
They all have grease nipples on both the top and the bottom. So you are definitely missing one. Before you try re-cutting the thread, try a spare grease nipple in there, to see if the thread is good and other has simply fallen out for some reason, you might be lucky..............
Also it may be that it's snapped off and you won't even be able get one in the hole.
This being the case, the last thing you want is metal swarf in this joint from drilling the snapped off nipple body out, so you will have to remove / dismantle it and if you are doing this it may be simpler to buy a new one, I don't think they are that expensive.
Best wishes,
Mike.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Fin and Jagnut, thank you both, I wound a 1/4 unf die in there and it simply cleaned all the road dirt and grease out of the threads and allowed a brand new grease nipple to screw in there with ease.

just love doing these little jobs, take care of the little one's and they will help keep the big ones at bay.
Touch of grease from the grease gun and that should end that suspension squeeze/creek. Plus a chance to have eyes on around the bits you can't easily see day to day.

I keep going till the grease appears under the self amalgamating tape wrapped around the dust covers. That way I know the grease has flooded the cavity inside the trunnion. And were're away....
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

When you grease the lower trunnion, you should support the car on the outer points of the lower leg. That will reduce the bearing pressure on the surfaces that are normally under load and those are the ones that need to be greased. Grease flow the path of least resistance, so no point making the critical points hard to get to.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Great success, David! Jaekl's point is quite right. You might also consider sourcing some nipple caps to keep dirt and corrosion off the nipples, like these: https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=181688370380&&&chn=ps

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »