No
50%

Total votes: 20

PaulJohnson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Petrol Additives

Post by PaulJohnson »

Iam just wondering what Members put in there Petrol tanks to clean out there moggy's

" Olive " my 1970 2 door has an unleaded head, I allways put a bottle of redex in her every 2-3 months, I can tell the diffrence in power at once.

Should we put additives in our moggys or should we just leave them alone?.
123_Paul
Minor Friendly

Post by 123_Paul »

I have had my moggie a month now, use unleaded as she has had the head replaced.

Never considered using redex, is there any real benefits?
http://www.ekmm.co.uk

[img]http://www.pauls-net.co.uk/pics/harriet.jpg[/img]
Harriet: 1970, 2 door saloon, 1098cc
WebEditor
Minor Friendly

FBHVC lead substitutes only

Post by WebEditor »

The MMOC doesn't normally recommend any products or services, but the in the case of additives we felt as though we had to go with the FBHVC recommendations. These can be found at:

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/technica ... etrol.html

Don’t put any other lead substitute in your Minor.
Andrew Booth
MMOC Website Editor
[img]http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/Images/nov2001thu.jpg[/img]
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

On Cam's recomendation, I changed over from Redex Lead Substitute to Castrol ValveMaster/ValveMaster Plus. It seems Redex isn't up to standard. I still have a standard leaded head.

But I have noticed that on Redex, my car ran as nicely as it did on staight unleaded. But Castrol ValveMaster causes our cars to be more difficult to start and feel slightly sluggish, though it's the top of the top in the world of lead substitute additives and provides the best protection for them little valve seats.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

and feel slightly sluggish
I've always used Castrol Valvemaster Plus in my Minors if they didn't have a head conversion. Mine certainly aren't sluggish when using this - my tired old 1098 didn't have any problems keeping up with the 1275 Minors on the London to Brighton... (Cam will probably agree :-))
If it's sluggish I would guess there is a different route cause such as timing or carburation, or maybe you have just been unlucky.
As for starting problems, I've not run with anything other than the Castrol additive so I can't realy make a comparison.

I think the original post was regarding the redex de-coke / cleaning additive. I tend to find my heavy style of driving often on long journeys burns away coke pretty well (and also burns away soft valve seats! Hence making sure I use a good additive)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Cam

Post by Cam »

my tired old 1098 didn't have any problems keeping up with the 1275 Minors on the London to Brighton... (Cam will probably agree )
Oh yes, and overtaking a few :wink:

Valvemaster plus will add 2 octane to the fuel rating, so it's like taking 95 octane unleaded to 97 which is pretty close to old 4 star so it SHOULD run better - cooler, more power and less prone to pinking. I have found the difference to be pretty close to running super unleaded (Optimax etc). It's even more interesting when you use the additive with Optimax - 98 + 2 = 100 octane (more or less old 5 star - for those who remember it).
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

It's not that mine is continuely sluggish, it's now just a dog to start in the morning; takes ages to warm up and the general throttle responce is less. I can still get up to my usual speeds and is okay when warmed up - but it just takes so damn long, and with a struggle too, now with Castrol VM+.

Any sujestions?
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
Cam

Post by Cam »

Well, poor starting (certainly in my experience anyway) is usually the ignition system calling out for a service! (plugs, points, cap, arm etc). When was it last serviced??

I can't think of any reason why the petrol additive should make it more difficult to start.
Benjy
Minor Fan

Post by Benjy »

Often poor starting is down to a poor capacitor (condenser) in the distributor, if the rest of the ignition system is in good nick.
salty_monk
Minor Fan

Post by salty_monk »

Optimax - 98 + 2 = 100 octane
I did this in the beginning but didn't really notice any difference so gave up as it's pricey... Maybe it's because ours is 100% standard??
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Junk/Sig.jpg[/img][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Suzuki/thIMGP0432.jpg[/img]
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

If I was to use any I would use Tetra Boost. This is the only additive that uses real lead. All the others use Pottassium, Magnese etc.

I have an unleaded engine and I use Optimax (or super unleaded if I am desperate) and every so often use real leaded fuel.

The real lead will help lube to top end.

John
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Fuel

Post by Squiggle »

Ooops am I missing something?

Is it ok to use unleaded + additive
then leaded at other times?

I'm really enjoying getting to know my 1952 Series MM side valved monster. Oh the bakelite...

Minor Medics [Buckinghamshire] have been superb and seem to enjoy my 'Monster'.

Great website and club.

I must admit I used to wonder who Ray O'Fleamington was --- doh!

Chrissie

PS I second the advice on changing to radial tyres. WHAT a difference!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Is it ok to use unleaded + additive
then leaded at other times?
I have no idea, however it is stated somewhere that you should not use different types of additive (phosphorous / manganse) as they work against each other. Therefore I would also be nervous to regularly mix between additive and leaded fuel, unless someone can show (proper) reseach that shows it is ok.
Innovator mentioned the tetraboost additive for a standard head as it is lead based anyway. I've wondered about that too (and wondered why you can buy it freely when leaded fuel is restricted).
I'm happy with the Castrol additive as it passed tests at MIRA using an A-series engine. Some other additives failed, and other companies didn't want to submit theirs for test so it's not like the MIRA test was easy!
Innovator is mixing between unleaded and leaded using an unleaded head, rather than between additive and leaded fuel? Or maybe between lead additive and leaded fuel?
VikingMinor
Minor Friendly

Post by VikingMinor »

As we have had the car since new. I know it has always had a squirt of Redex every time she is filled up with fuel. I remember my grandfather getting quite annoyed when the garages stopped selling it by the squirt.
I can't tell you if their are any benefits to be had but Molly is going strong after 37 years and 69000 miles.

Just a bit unhappy that she has needed her first ever replacment clutch-reliability I should write to BMC to moan. Any one got the address.........