mgB caliper on marina hub

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

mgB caliper on marina hub

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

Before I write this I must thank GAS who has already done this modification.

However he has done the modification in a slightly different way to me so i thought I would share what i have done..

Whist the mgb mounts and marina mounts are in the same place the MG caliper is slightly larger and bumps into the hub and hits the mount.

I modified the mount by taking a bit out of the leading edge..
[frame]Image[/frame]

As you can see with this unmodified hub there are lots of "nobbly" bits under the hub which do nothing..

[frame]Image[/frame]

Using a lathe working at a 45 degree angle i started to remove the nobbly bits..
however i found that I was removing far more metal than needed so changed it to 55 degree from the hub face.
I carried on removing metal until the orginal shoulder was completly removed, i then put a shoulder back on[frame]Image[/frame]
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Re: mgB caliper on marina hub

Post by Mogwai »

This is something Ive been considering as the marina calipers on mine will be needing an overhaul sometime in the near future & whether to bother or not.
keep us posted on your progress
[sig]7538[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I suspect the 'knobbly bits' are there to strengthen the hub........take care....... And the lip on the bracket is surely intended as essential stiffening for the bracket?
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

I will be keeping an eye on the backing plate to ensure that removal of the lip has not affected its strength.

As for the hub, i discussed the changes at length with my father (a mechanical design engineer by trade) before we did the mod and we have not removed a significant amount of metal from the hub. The "nobbly bits" had threaded holes in them.. although no screws go in, almost as if the hub could be used on several different cars or maybe just for the drum brake version of the marina / ital van
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I guess the bracket is less important - since once the caliper is bolted on. it will add considerable stiffness.
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

I was also thinking that the ital bracket looks considerably more robut than the "J" shaped braket used in the midget disk converstion.. this does not mean that I am not going to be checking it regularly
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Sorry to bring this back up, I'm considering doing the same thing.

How much material actually needs to come off the hub?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I did this same thing and found that no material needed to be removed from the hub. I did find that the wheel needed spaced out slightly, as it rubbed against the caliper's piston housing.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.