Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
iwant1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New rubber bushes

Post by iwant1 »

i replaced all my rubber bushes the other week, and found that with the ones where the torsion bar meets the wishbone, one of them was far more squashed up than the other, does this matter and how do i rectify it if so? Cheers,Ben.
s.richardson
Minor Fan

Post by s.richardson »

ive just fitted some polyucantbendit ones from BM really big differance mate
iwant1
Minor Fan

Post by iwant1 »

Yeah i know they must be better, but i just fitted these new ones and dont fancy stripping it all down again, any ideas about "unsquashing" it
s.richardson
Minor Fan

Post by s.richardson »

might be its the nature of rubber to do that mate ,the ones i removed were squashed too ,steve
iwant1
Minor Fan

Post by iwant1 »

Yeah thats what i thought, maybe it will settle in once i start driving it, the only worry though is that as its under so much more force, that it might rip or fracture in the near future when it starts twisting?
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

the rubber bushes tend to be too long, therefore one end stick out of the eyebolt too far.
whenyou bolt the pressed steel suspension arm up to the cast one, the bush just flares up instead of pushing in to the eyebolt.
The flared bit usually splits after a short time
The only way round it s to get the bush flush with the eyebolt before it is bolted up.

sorry if the explanation is poor but i'm half asleep.
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

also, the eye bolt pin with cup. the cup should seat right inside the cast swing arm. ive seen many where the cup is only a 1/4 to 1/2 way fitted in. this brings the cup nearer the eyebolt, leaving less room for rear eye boly rubber. try to apply pressure to pin at same time as pressure in the other direction on cast swinging arm to get the cup to seat deeper.
iwant1
Minor Fan

Post by iwant1 »

Its the bush closer to the front of the car thats more squashed up on mine, maybe a bit of wriggling here and there?