Which type 9 gearbox ??

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
racer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by racer »

Due to several experiences of a similar nature over many years of engine swapping I've still got a wary gut feeling about the g/box swap . perhaps someone makes a kit specifically for the'35 . I dont mind building bracketry etc to get it in there ,but it could ,Ireckon run away with money .
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Hasn't the A35 got basically the same engine as the minor..... if not there are 5 speed conversions for spridgets also, for all engine sizes
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Cam

Post by Cam »

Mating the engine to the gearbox is exactly the same in ALL in-line A-series based cars. (as long as the gearbox will fit in the transmission tunnel!).

I doubt anyone does a conversion specifically for the A30/A35 as it's not as popular as the Minor/Spridget and does not have the club or parts/trader support to warrant the expense of developing a kit.

It's not a question of bracketry though is it?? It's more complex than that which is why specific parts (bell-housing being one) are cast specifically and precisely for the job.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money then try and find a 2nd hand kit or just don't convert.

Like I have said before, you MAY be able to do it without a kit but it's a HELL of a lot of work.
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

I only mentioned the possibility of an a35 kit so that p/shaft etc would be ok. I know the a- series are all the same fitting . P'raps I'M JUST GETTING TOO OLD ,and have seen so many "drop straight in " jobs go awry as I rush head first into it .! Should,I suppose stick by my usual philosophy -DROP IT ,CHOP IT ,'N' DRIVE IT ! LOL
Cam

Post by Cam »

seen so many "drop straight in " jobs go awry as I rush head first into it
I don't think you are the problem, I think it's the so called 'kits' that you have to re-engineer to get to fit.

It amazes me how they continue trading with such poor quality stuff.
Wal
Minor Fan

Post by Wal »

In case anyone is still interested in the original posting and to prove modifying is more fun. The input shaft length varied depending whether it was a standard, diesel or heavy duty type, this is a bit generalized but will do for these purposes:

The standard 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 models had a short input shaft about 6.9 inches from the front face of the gearbox. This is probably the best one for the Minor.

The 2.8, 2.9 and V6 models had a long input shaft about 8.1 inches from the front gearbox face. These also had a long front cover and mostly (not all) heavier duty bearings.

The diesel gearboxes also had a long input shaft (8.1 inches) but with a short front cover.

There were other differences and some variations to this but it a pretty good guide.

The 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 boxes were good up to about 140 – 150 bhp so this is probably the best one for a minor. I’d avoid the longer input shaft type except for higher bhp or special applications.

Regards,
Wal
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Cheers Wal !!
mrpickup
Minor Friendly

Post by mrpickup »

RACER,
I currently run with the 5 speed toyota box, I have a 1098 backplate on the back of an ital engine. I had to cut the bellhousing off the front of a 1098 gearbox have it milled flat at about 9 inches high and welded to the small end of the toyota bellhousing. Then just bolt it all together !! O.K. I've made it sound easy but measure twice, cut once and all that, and line up the input shaft as accurate as poss and.................job done. You have the facilities so have a go (and can you make me one as well please !! ta.)
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

Mr pickup . good to put a face to the 'name' today! I understand the principle of what you have done,but have you got any more detailed info? You mentioned having a new input shaft made,could'nt the orig. toyota one be cut down/modded? Also,exactly what toyota g/box did you use? I've been told the type 9 box is very heavy,and on the a35 it needs a lot of floor work to get in . What is the configuration of your release arm/bearing?
mrpickup
Minor Friendly

Post by mrpickup »

hi racer,
input shaft wasnt changed/modified, I had to have a new spigot bearing made. Interferance fit into the flywheel and slidy fit over the input shaft, phospher bronze,cost a couple of quid. Release arm/bearing is standard minor. No other details written down just some fuzzy memories in the back of my brain somewhere....Its me age y'know !!