Custom & Modified Branch promotion ideas.....

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
heathy12
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Custom & Modified Branch promotion ideas.....

Post by heathy12 »

Been thinking about this for a while but keep on putting off posting.

Ive been thinking about ideas we could complete as a Branch to promote the Modified Minor aspect of the MMOC, as it seems theres very little proactive steps taken by the club for these purposes. Without getting into the debate of 'What the MMOC dosent do and stands for' I'd like to open up the oppotunity to discuss fun (Dare I say 'Young') ideas to attract peoples attention to Modified Minor ownership.

A few ideas ive had.
Maybe contact a few big magasines to see if they'd be interested in an article on the diverse Modified minors we have here.

One im quite tempted by is maybe a little far fetched but not impossible. I'll bet you've all watched Top Gear, they've featured a few classics. Ive seen MG Midgets beetles and Minis but the most recent Modified car being the Jag XJ220 Transit van :wink: . Has anyone any ideas we could maybe pitch to the Top Gear team with a veiw to aboloshing our clubs reputation as slipper wearing pensioners and clergymen! Any challenges we could set to the team??

As a member of the club i'd love to do something towards promoting the branch and making people more aware of the cars and club. Not just let it run without promoting it towards younger people (Which IMO the club isnt doing)
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Custom & Modified Branch promotion ideas.....

Post by chrisryder »

to promote mod'd minors, i drive mine everywhere! :lol:

i think a magazine article could be interesting, whether it's practical classics, or retro car or whatever. all helps!

the top gear idea has been on my mind for some time too, not sure whether they'd end up taking the p*ss. probably end up with a piano on the roof...

they did a thing a few years back with an E-type that a company 'updates' and they lapped it round the track to show what an improvement it was. i think a really fast street sleeper would be the best car for them to feature. they can do the whole 'to show how fast this car is, lets have a race against a morris minor... oh, the minor won...'

you may do better to contact a program a bit more car focused than top gear. maybe better to go for an actual motoring program, rather than a sitcom with cars... sadly fifth gear is going the same way as top gear in a horrible bid to keep up with them. little do they know people watch fifth gear because it was still about cars!

there was talk of a track day or drag strip day to promote the mod'd minor. could be an idea to ressurect that idea, and invite a good car mag along.
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

An amazing stand at this years Nation Rally :D Who want's to see rows and rows of standard Minors when we could have an exhibit where every car is different. Also we could think of going up to the next NEC show to promote ourselves. I noticed the cars features there last year where all bog standard :-?
We could all turn up at a 'run what ya brung' at Santa Pod and show everyone that Minors are just as much fun as all the rest.
BTW I like the idea of getting a magazine on board as this would promote nationally.
Bash's Speed Shop
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Probably more modding going on here:
http://www.morrisowners.co.uk/
Already a few ideas kicking about regarding a meet up.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

the mmoc stand at the classic motor show was all standard millions, but hidden at the back was mike deans beautiful modified traveller. a diamond in the rough :lol:

santa pod do 'run what ya brung' and 'drift what ya brung'

i think i'd get quite a few laughs at the drag strip rocketing up to 65mph then staying at 65 for half an hour before i got the end of the quarter 8) my half shafts would probably explode first anyway!
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

We'll probably have over a half dozen modded minors at the Scottish rallies this year.
I should have 4 for next year :)

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

plastic_orange wrote: I should have 4 for next year :)

Pete
Show off :lol: 8)
Bash's Speed Shop
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

A few years ago at the Classic Show at the NEC it was modified Minors.

We also used to have a big turn out at the National rally. Once at Knebworth there were 20 or so well modified cars. Around that time the Custom register had quite a social scene brought together by the newsletter Show N Go posted out to people. There was no internet.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

when we could have an exhibit where every car is different. Also we could think of going up to the next NEC show to promote ourselves. I noticed the cars features there last year where all bog standard
My modified will be there this year :D - only the mild one though
- the wilder one I'm hoping to have ready for next year....
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

loving the rwyb idea will have my baby ready soon and will deffinatly be bringing it to santa pod :D i think if your trying to apeal to younger people of which i am 1. the drift what you brung at santa pod will be best. for some reason cars look cooler sideways and gushing out with smoke. there must be somone on here able to do that.

top gear idea. would be awsome but jezza always mugs them off (the morris minor is englands beetle) never a good thing. but tiff needle off 5th gear loves them even had one on there a while back showing car control. so i think that would be a good idea as they are copying top gear theres bound to be a race where they need a street sleeper.

ever thought of maybe doing a tunnle run through london making loads of noise and looking cool???
do that with my mini club and always gets lots of attention!
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

lukedauvergne wrote:ever thought of maybe doing a tunnle run through london making loads of noise and looking cool???
do that with my mini club and always gets lots of attention!
not police attention i hope?

i do my own bit of tunnel blasting whenever i need to go through birmingham. the queensway tunnels run right under brum, they can be chock-a-block at rush hour, but around 8pm onwards... oooh far too easy to get up to 65... it's meant to be a 40... 8)

not that i am condoning speeding or law breaking in any way...
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

police up central are far to interested in drunks and terrorist so as long as your being sensible your ok. if your a car person and get excited by the sound of an engine its a really good night out. last one i did was a friday night just before christmas so traffic was stupid but you get so much attention its great. people taking pictures and all sorts. maybe do like a fun day out trackday drag day whatever and get a mag interested like somones already said. really do good for publicity. i can imagin the uproar at this but fast car magazine might be interested in righting up on crazy powered old cars seam to remember somthing in there a while ago. we could stick it to the ford guys :P
ratrodmog
Minor Fan

Post by ratrodmog »

I've done a few drift days :wink: but unfortunately my car is unavailable (see my pic :lol: )
Bash's Speed Shop
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

Hey guys,

Tunnel runs are a great idea, but so are the drift days, as any minor no matter now little modded it is can drift. A few minor track days would be a good start too, I was thinking open pit lane would be a good idea so we can all be out as much as possible, and people can wander around the paddock and see the cars, we just need to find a friendly track. I know brands is where retro cars hold theirs.

The brung what you run sounds great but until I change my 948 lump I can only watch that one. Was also think any members around London we could turn up at the ace cafe on it's classic car nights.

Anyone like any of these ideas?
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar