Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
iwant1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Track rod ends

Post by iwant1 »

Hi, i've just replaced all of my suspension bushes at the front, including a new steering rack boot and ball joint rubber, all is back together and correct apart from the track rod end, i cant get the steering arm to squeeze over the bolt, is it wise to use sandpaper to clean up the bolt? or should i try to press it back together somehow? Also hows best to get the tracking right 1st time so i dont have to break it apart again? I did have it marked up but can no longer see the mark! Cheers, Ben.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

apart from the track rod end, i cant get the steering arm to squeeze over the bolt,
?? not sure which bit you mean.

For tracking - to set it roughly, you want to measure between the inner edges of the wheel. then get the front equal to the rear before worrying about fine adjustment.
You shouldn't have to crak the ball joints to adjust it! The track rod end adjuster should turn freely (ish) so you can wind it out or in.
iwant1
Minor Fan

Post by iwant1 »

I think our wires are crossed! but its sorted now thatnks. I had trouble getting the track rod end bolt through the steering arm when i came to pout it back together. I have another question though, in re-newing the suspension bushes where the torsion bar meets the wishbone, i have found that one of the rubber bushes is much more squashed up than the other, is this okay and will it settle down after use or can it be sorted otherwise? I cant understand how to sort it as there will always be more force on the one side as the nut does up to it. Cheers, Ben.