Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scott75
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

carb?hassle

Post by scott75 »

Hi i have just replaced my manifold on my 1098 recon as the old one was blowing abit.Everthing went really well apart from removing the old gasket.
Before hand the engine had been running well enough but now won't start ignition is good all parts were replaced with engine changeover.Timing was not spot on but was not far off mixture had been set by colourtune and was o.k. So all i did was to change the manifold the one thing i have noticed is the carbs piston does not drop fully down and therefore has no metalic click it stops with a gap of about a 1/8".
I have removed the carb and will recentre the needle i take it this caused the engine to flood as there was a puddle of petrol in the inlet.Could there be any other probs and what is the setting for the mixture once i have reset needle?
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Scott,
Whether the needle is centred has no relevance on the carburettor flooding. Remove the piston and dashpot assembly and switch on the ignition, (I'm assuming an electric fuel pump). You should see fuel near but not overflowing the top of the jet. If it does overflow you need to sort out the float level or needle. With the piston assembly off, clean the piston and inside the dashpot using carb cleaner or cellulose thinners. (No metal polish) Screw the jet flush with the bridge and refit the dashpot\piston and reset, if necessary, the jet central to the needle by pressing down on the piston while tightening the jet clamping nut.
Then screw the jet adjusting nut down two full turns, and check that the piston drops as it should with a click. The two turns down is the basic mixture setting for an S.U. and should be pretty close to right.

Alec
scott75
Minor Friendly

Post by scott75 »

Hi Alec
Many thanks piston now dropping with click will refit tomorrow and try engine again after checking float and jet.As for the fooding that may have been me cracking it a little to much in the hope it would start will let you know how i get on again thanks Scott