Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobinJ
Location: Hastings, East Sussex out of term, Plymouth in term
MMOC Member: No

is it my box?

Post by RobinJ »

my 1098 traveller is jumping out or reverse, making awful noises and being a bit juddery. is it my gearbox trying to tell me it wants to leave? if so i what are my options? i do a 100 mile round trip 3 times weekly on dual carrageways, how easy will a midget engine and box go it? anyone got any advice or parts they want to offer?
cheers
Robin
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

Jumping out of reverse is definatly the gearbox and probably the awful noises but have you checked the oil, juddering could also be the gearbox steady cable to tight or to loose it should just take up the slack in the cable, and also check the engine steady is OK as well as all of these can affect it.
Midget running gear goes in without to many mods however if you stick with the Midget flywheel and clutch you will find it quite sharp unless you go for a hydralic conversion and the main drawback is trying to get hold of or even finding one and then trying to get it for a reasonable price you often find that £250+ needing reconditioning is not unusual just for the engine.
If you get a copy of Owen Burtons book most of it is explained in there as to what you need and where to get the extra bits (Bath Morris Minor Centre)
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706