Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
otto
MMOC Member: No

Door Mirrors

Post by otto »

hello,
i drove home a new (to me) split screen '53 mm MKII last night.
it didnt take long to realise that the car doesnt have any side rear view mirrors :)
could anyone suggest if there is any particular style which suits/was fitted on this older model?

any suggestions on where to get some?

i used to own another moggy some years back...
i seem to remeber that the mirrors mounted on the wings weren't very useful compared with those on the door..
is that right? or was it the opposite?

thanks a lot.
kind regards
otto
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Door Mirrors

Post by ASL642 »

I've fitted mirrors to the stainless triangle on the quarterlight. The triangle comes off the car, drill 1 hole and secure the mirror and replace on car. It is fully adjustable for all heights of driver and gives good rear view/overtaking vision (expecially on motorways) :D Mine came from Bull Motif as they're within driving distance from me, part nos MIR 101/102. They are handed. Simply swap - put left on right hand side - it makes it even more adjustable!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have those same mirrors but am not happy with the passenger side one at all. I had to fit a 1" spacer behind the mirror to move it further back and still the rear view vision is not 100% but the mirror with the spacer is useable. I have to lean towards the middle of the car to get full vision. I'm looking for an alternative with an arm that is swept back. The drivers side (RHD) is fine and the quality is good.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My preference on a split screen is wing mounted convex glass round mirrors. Do not fit flat glass mirrors, they are useless.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

regaliaqueen wrote:I've fitted mirrors to the stainless triangle on the quarterlight. The triangle comes off the car, drill 1 hole and secure the mirror and replace on car. It is fully adjustable for all heights of driver and gives good rear view/overtaking vision (expecially on motorways) :D Mine came from Bull Motif as they're within driving distance from me, part nos MIR 101/102. They are handed. Simply swap - put left on right hand side - it makes it even more adjustable!
Hi Lou are you saying that by swapping the heads over it gives even better visibility, and do you have any issues with the nearside visibility like Declan.
Declan Burns wrote: have those same mirrors but am not happy with the passenger side one at all. I had to fit a 1" spacer behind the mirror to move it further back and still the rear view vision is not 100% but the mirror with the spacer is useable.
Hi Declan where exactly did you fit the spacer as I cant visualise where a 1" would fit, as for the arms I assume you mean they need to be curved further towards the rear of the car ?
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

When I said "swap" I meant the whole unit i.e. arms + head (they are marked LH and RH on the box) simply fit LH to RH. The arms a curved already on these and by swapping them it means you can manoeuvre them even more. Fit the unit. Driver sits in driver's seat and get someone to sit in passenger side. Wind down window. Ask passenger to put his hand over the mirror (cupping it so to speak) and rotate it either inwards towards quarterlight or outwards. Driver can direct which way. And yes when they are adjusted like this I can see traffic on my nearside (useful for motorway lane changing or driving abroad) :wink: - very useful on MOT. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Wing mirrors are GREAT - wish modern cars had them! Properly adjusted they work well - and you don't need to shift your field of vision from long to near to see what's behind.
ImageImage
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Kevin,
Here's a photo and I know it looks horrible. That's why I'm trying to source something better.These cannot be swapped over.[frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Are those the ones you have "personnalised"? as they are not like mine. Mine have thin bent arms.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hi Declan I can see the issues with your type its a wonder you dont get a stiff neck.

Lou it seems like yours are the ideal type and if reversing them gives a better view that's obviously the way to go, when you get a chance would a photo be possible so we can have a closer look at them in situ.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Kevin - I'll do what I can - HWMBO is busy "spraying" car atm :roll: can't distrurb these "artists"! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Here's a photo from a different angle and to me it looks exactly the same as the MIR101 on the BM website. That's what has me confused.
Lou,
It would be a great help if you would post a pic, then I can contact BM and be sure I get the right one.[frame]Image[/frame]
Driver's side (needs a good clean)[frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Declan - now I have seen the other photo i.e. your driver's side (thin arm) they are exactly the same as mine. Yours are like mine would be if I had just fitted them. Try "cranking (mirror head only) either towards the car or away as I have previously said. If it is stiff there are the 4 little screws to loosen it off. If the face of the mirror is too far away wind it inwards. If the mirror just looks toward the sky use the screw that fastens it onto the stainless triangle and slightly angle the arm. It's very hard to describe in written text! I Hope this is clearer :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Lou,
All the adjustments were tried. Without the horrible spacer approx 33% of the mirror was obscured, with the spacer only 25%. I don't really sit that forward in the car and am average height. I still have to lean towards the centre. I'll be at the Schloss Dyck Classic Days show tomorrow (biggest event here and quite a few UK visitors) with the guys from the German Moggy club so I'll have a look at how they solved the problem.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well I'm 5' (+a teeny bit :lol: !) tall but Jon is 5'10". I hope you manage to get it sorted. :D Have a good show tomorrow!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bbennett

Post by bbennett »

I have similarly mounted mirrors on my RHD '59 Minor pickup here in USA and am not happy with them. The convex mirror on the left (passenger) side is of some use but the flat glass on the driver's side is almost useless. They also somewhat interfere with the vent wings when they are open.
I find I'm totally paranoid about passing and pulling back into the right lane. The tiny rear window and large rear pillar leave everything only to the imagination. I dread backing up because without rolling down the window and sticking my head out I have little idea of where the rear or side of the truck is. The problem is worse at night because the rear glass reflects the dash light and the truck is not equiped with reverse lamps.
Perhaps some of thse challenges are due to driving on "the wrong side" of the car. Perhaps convex glass on both sides would help.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I couldn't source a mirror so I had a go at making my own arm. This works a treat and now I have full vision.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have since remade this arm to make it look a bit better. Here's how to do it if anybody is interested. First you need a new arm which has an angle ~80° and appprox 4" long bent from 10x 1mm stainless steel piping from the DIY. Make a template of the original mirror fixing and transfer it to some solid 10mm aluminium.

[frame]Image[/frame]
File/saw to shape[frame]Image[/frame]
Polish with plenty of elbow grease![frame]Image[/frame]
Drill arm to take a 2mm pin[frame]Image[/frame]
The knob is from a drawer (DIY) with a 12mm diameter ball and the shaft is 8mm which fits the inside of the arm[frame]Image[/frame]
The new improved version.
Finished article and no more obscured vision. Adjust and then glue the shaft of the drawer knob into the arm of the mirror. The mirror fixing bracket may need some filing to get enough adjustment. I know it's not original and I could be in for a stoning from the purists, but it works and is in my opinion a safety improvement without disturbing the look of the mirror too much. Now to clean that mirror...[frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

ive gotta say i have door mirrors and theyre chuffing useless! and they render your quater lighs useless aswel, open them and you have no mirrors! id kill for a good set fo wing mirrors.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Phurn,
There's no real problem with the quarter lights-they don't even touch the mirror on the (RHD) drivers side and on the passenger side it open 50%. I have absolutely no objection to wing mirrors and would of course prefer them due to the better field of view as many have stated but the car came with the door mirrors and the problem is obvious. This arm extension really works and now I'm actually quite happy with the result.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan