westy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

glove box lids

Post by westy »

hi
my car is a 2 door 1963
in the dash all i have is 2 holes where glove box bits should be
i have brought second hand glove box liners a surround for the drivers side and a door for the passenger
these seem much bigger than the holes ? have i got the wrong things is a 1963 fitted with doors on both glove boxs ?
are these off a later one and thats why there too big ?
cheers
my first time moggie experience any enjoying it
santadawes
Minor Addict

Re: glove box lids

Post by santadawes »

I am the best one not to offer advise on this one but, I had a 1959 4dr saloon that had a door on both sides and there wasnt a lot of room to get things out of the drivers side box. I now own a 1968 2dr and there's only one lid on the passengers side.I would have thought that although there's a good number of years between the designes the size would have stayed the same.
Good luck with the answer.
Raymond.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Series MM /early Series 11 had glove box lid on the passenger side with curved edges and it was held securely in place by a push button catch. Also the centre badge could be removed to enable the fitting of a clock which matched the speedo On the driver side was a matching instrument cover panel. This design glove box lid was reintroduced on the '64 1098 but with a much inferior magnetic catch which released the lid onto he passenger's knees every time the car went over a bump. The driver side also had a glove box which was open and had a deeper liner which extended into the glove box surround. In between the glove boxes were variously fitted with flat lids the shape of the opening. The fitting or otherwise of glove box lids was probably one of the extensive list of optional extras which destinguished the delux from standard model.
Your 1963 car would have had the flat lids with the drivers and passengers liners the same size.Quite honestly the steering wheel gets in the way of the drivers lid which is a waste of space
[sig]3580[/sig]
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Would the early lid with clock or badge fit a later Minor with the magnetic lid? Is the chrome buttony thing that mirrors the red light on the right the glovebox catch?

Thanks
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Glovebox lids were never a delux / standard feature - They were fitted by age of vehicle. Flat lids were fitted to Minors (not MM's) in Oct 56. In Feb 59 they got a deeper liner and chrome shroud and in Nov 61 the lids were discontinued leaving open spaces with a chrome ring around the liner. They stayed that way until Oct 64 when the later style of lid was fitted to the passenger side (magnetic catch type) and the drivers side got a deep metal trim with chrome edging.... Therefore, a 63 car did not have lids but if you want to fit them easily you need the early flat lids, liners and associated bracketery that goes with them.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
westy
Minor Friendly

Post by westy »

cheers guys
i think i have the wrong type lids etc i need the smaller flat type from pre 63
thanks
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mine is 1964 and has the flat lids which leaves me puzzled.
Regards
Declan[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Yours is a changeover model with the new black speedo, heater and seat covers etc but old steering wheel and dash...
[sig]8426[/sig]

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Thanks PSL, I was wondering.
BTW The steering wheel and the mini heater I fit myself.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

There were many variations of new to old spec in the changeover models as they only fitted new spec parts after they had used all the old stuff up - Nothing went to waste in those days :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

westy
Minor Friendly

Post by westy »

cheers declan for interior shot just what i needed.....the glove box lids i have are much bigger and has a sticking out black handle not built in like the ones in your pic...
nice looking car by the way :D
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

is it like mine. minus the paint :D and the gauge insert
[frame]Image[/frame]
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
westy
Minor Friendly

Post by westy »

yes hotrodder the glove boxs i have are the same as yours
any one want to swap ?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The glove box lid on the Series MM is the same shape as the late 1098 and the release button is the chrome button matching the ign. light. I have occasionally considered fitting an MM lid but since the replica clocks are no longer available new I have not bothered, besides as I don't sit in the passenger seat it is not my knees that get thumped!
The comment about a lid being a delux fitting was a reference to an earlier topic on extras
[sig]3580[/sig]
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

When the last type of lid was introduced, were LHD Minors still being made? My car has extra gauges in the right hand glove box and it would look tidier if I had a matching lid, into which I could fit the gauges. I see that the sidevalve ones are the same but I need one without pre existing holes for clocks etc.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

RH later glove box lids from export (LHD) cars are rare. Someone did reproduce them in fibreglass some years ago, but its ages since I have seen one.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Steve Phillips »

I have some RH closed glove box lids ingrp,if your interested please pm me,

Steve