Front damper bolts broken

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

i am sure ive seen this once before, and my plan of attack with this problem catsoup was to clean the inner wing on that side, and locate the end of the box section crossmember. cut a hole so that you can see the plate which the shock bolts too. remove the shock, and remove the plate with the threads, so that the brokern studs can be removed more easly or a new plate can be fitted. i am sure i did this job once, but i am having doubts about weather the plate can be removed. i am sure from memory that its only a captive plate. may be someone else can add. when finished just weld inner wing hole up
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was blown away when i read the above post as this is going to be my line of attack to replace the plate as my restoration has a stripped thread. Hope it can be removed!
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

this method can be used for captive door hindge plates, if the bolts are brokern, which many of them are, when undoing.
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Post by rayofleamington »

yes it work on doorpost captive plates..
good thinking for the shock platre - lets face it, it had to get in there somehow, so the logical way is to fetch it out in the direction of the inner wing.
tapbuster

Post by tapbuster »

Broken bolts, taps or drills are no problem. I have a portable spark erosion machine, (Electro discharge machine) With it I can remove the offending article, without damage to the parent metal. It leaves the original thread undammaged. Please contact for more details.

Mick TAPBUSTER
_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

Kevin, will try to make July this year, would be good, need to spend some time on the moggie to make it presentable.

Ray - forgot you had non-standard wheels on your Porsche, your original wheels are a lot easier.

H
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

_h_____,
if I had some original turbo alloys on my car I'd be a lucky man! They're worth a small fortune and hard to find!