Invite: Classic Vehicle Day at The Shuttleworth Collection.

Post details of Rallies, road runs and other events here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Invite: Classic Vehicle Day at The Shuttleworth Collection.

Post by timjsparrow »

SHUTTLEWORTH VINTAGE VEHICLE DAY Saturday 22nd May 2010

Dear MMOC Branches.

I have been asked on behalf of The Shuttleworth Collection, at Old Warden Areodrom in Befordshire, to invite you all to our Vintage Vehicle Day on Saturday 22nd May 2010.

This will be the first time that The Shuttleworth Collection has hosted a vehicle orientated day for a number of years and we would like to establish this as an annual event. It is planned to create a garden party atmosphere with all the participants parked on the display field, allowing people to view the visiting vehicles.

The Shuttleworth Collection was created by Mrs. Dorothy Shuttleworth in memory of her only son Ritchard who was tragically killed in 1940 in a flying accident. Before Ritchard took up flying, he collected vintage cars and raced cars. Ritchard acquired his first racing car in 1931 at the age of 21-an Austin 7 with a 7.8 litre supercharged engine (not residing in the collection, but it is still in exsitance, and the current owner did bring it to one of our flying days in 2009 http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin7nut ... 0/sizes/o/). He enterd this into the Junior Mountain Racing Handicap at Brooklands in the same year under the name of "R Ormonde". He finished third. Over the next 5 years Ritchard purchased and raced an Arrol Aster, a serise of Bugattis and an Alfa Romeo P3 (of which the Alfa still exsits and is raced during the summer months. Agian it does not reside in the collection, however the current owners did loan this £6 million car to the collection for a few months last year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Richard Shuttleworth's birth http://www.flickr.com/photos/shuttlewor ... 248038842/). The highest point of Ritchard's racing career was his victory on the 5th October 1935 at the International Donnington Grand Prix, whilst driving his Alfa Romeo P3. His racing career came to an end a few mounths later after a serious accident in the South African Grand Prix.

From the late 1920's and into the 1930's, Ritchard purchased various vintage cars such as the Panhard Levasseur, International Benz and the De-Deitrich to name a few which now form the basis of the collection of vehicles on display today. Every vehicle in the collection, along with the areoplanes, are (or are capable of being) in complete operational condition, and are driven on diplay at the various shows we have throughout the year. This all to uphold Ritchard Shuttleworth's original ethos of not just collecting motor vehicles and aeroplanes, but keeping them in working order as well.

I am sure that this will be of interest to members; We wish to encourage vehicles to pre-book in advance.
You can book in as a complete branch. All you have to do is send the registration numbers + type + year + addresses of the cars that are wanting to attend, plus the name and contact details of a branch representative to collection@shuttleworth.org by Friday 7th May. Passes will then be sent out to all attending branch members.
Alternatively, individual booking forms can be obtained from the website http://www.shuttleworth.org. Again, all forms have to be in by 7th May.

Drivers of pre-registered vehicles will enjoy free access to the event along with thier vehicle. Addmistion prices for additional adults will be £10 each, but accompanied children under 16 will be free, making this an excellent family day out.

In addition, entry to the event will include acces to the hangars to see the world famouse collection of aircraft, motor vehicles, bicycles and carriges.

The Shuttleworth Collection also often hosts vehicle owner and marques clubs throughout the year, on both flying and non-flying days, at favouable club rates. If you would like to discuss arranging a club event with us, please contact Julie White on 01767 627922 or Julie.white@shuttleworth.org

Hope to see many of you on the day.

Best Regards,

Tim Sparrow
(MMOC Cambridge Branch member and Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society Vehicles Section volunteer)
Last edited by timjsparrow on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

XVS 953, a 1960 2 door de-luxe named 'Maggie'. First Registered as HCC 548 on the 8th February 1960 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Re: Invite:Event for Areas 2 + 3 at The Shuttleworth Collection.

Post by LouiseM »

I can recommend the Shuttleworth collection as a good day out.

How about making this the venue for a website rally?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

You would be more than welcome. Just use the contact details for Julie White to arrange it. If you arrange it for a flying display, you get a reserved area right in front of the flight line. You have to have a minimum of ten cars though to get your own area to display in.

Julie Whites details are 01767 627922 or Julie.white@shuttleworth.org

Regards

Tim Sparrow

XVS 953, a 1960 2 door de-luxe named 'Maggie'. First Registered as HCC 548 on the 8th February 1960 in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Isle of Anglesey, North Wales.
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I'm up for it.

Can we have a voluteer to be the coordinator?

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

Regarding the Vintage Vehicle Day.

If you need a coordinator for a specific branch, then it needs to be somebody from that branch.

However, if your interested in booking in the Web forum as a branch, then I don't mind being a coordinator for that. Being an insider and all.

For those on the web forum who are interested then, all you have to do is send the following details to timjsparrowATaoldotcom (edited by rogerrust to cut down on spam) and I can pass these on to the event organiser:

Name, Address, Telephone, Email

Vehicle Make

Vehicle Model & Type

Vehicle Year

Vehicle Registration

Once I have all the details, I can pass these on to Chris, he can then send out passes and list you as MMOC Web fourum branch.

Alternatively individual forms can be found at http://www.shuttleworth.org

CLOSING DATE 7th MAY

The more the merrier.

Best Wishes

Tim Sparrow (Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society)

RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

Hi I've moved this to General Discussion so it doesn't get missed.

Thanks Tim for offering to coordinate our group.

I'll send you my details later.

Roger

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

RogerRust wrote:Hi I've moved this to General Discussion so it doesn't get missed.
Thanks for doing that. I was thinking that would be a good idea.

No problem at all. Seemed the most logical thing to do as I have a direct contact with Shuttleworth.

timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

CHANGE OF CONTACT.

Instead of emailing your details to me, could you please send your details with an A5 SAE to:

Shuttleworth MMOC Web Entries C/O Tim Sparrow
4 Chestnut Grove
Eynesbury
St.Neots
Cambridgeshire
PE19 2DW

I will then pass these on to Fred Harris at Shuttleworth who will then post out the passes accordingly.

So come on people, lets be having you :D

carlosramalho
Minor Addict

Post by carlosramalho »

Grrrh.... Grrrh....I can't be present, Grrrh1 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink: :lol:
MM Lowlight 1949 - Portuguese Registration
Traveller 1964 - formerly AKR 343 B
Convertible1969 - formerly XCH 455 G
Pickup 1971 - formerly BTT 213 K
MMOC 66138
MORRIS MINOR is Forever also in Portugal
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

Oh dear, that's a shame. :(

However, if it's a success this year, it shall definitely be going ahead again next year. :)

Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

Hi and thanks Tim,

Please count me in. I'll post my details asap.

Looking forward to it.

:-)'s

timjsparrow wrote:CHANGE OF CONTACT.

Instead of emailing your details to me, could you please send your details with an A5 SAE to:

Shuttleworth MMOC Web Entries C/O Tim Sparrow
4 Chestnut Grove
Eynesbury
St.Neots
Cambridgeshire
PE19 2DW

I will then pass these on to Fred Harris at Shuttleworth who will then post out the passes accordingly.

So come on people, lets be having you :D
Last edited by Squiggle on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Re: Invite: Classic Vehicle Day at The Shuttleworth Collection.

Post by RogerRust »

I thought we'd get a better turn out than this.

Come on lets get organised

Roger

Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

RogerRust wrote:I thought we'd get a better turn out than this.

Roger

Ooooh bossy, so masterful Roger :wink:

Like your signature text!
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

RogerRust wrote:I thought we'd get a better turn out than this.

Roger
I agree, keep 'em coming lads and lasses.

Thankyou to everyone who has sent, or is going to send, all there details so far. We currently have 6 confirmed entries on the list, with another 3 or 4 pending arrival of details. :D

I have a list myself of all the entrants that have had their passes sent out already, but do keep adding to the list on here once you've received your passes. Helps me confirm they are with you.

Tim

Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

Posted my details yesterday :D

Oooh I can type in Empire Green......

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Sorry, would love to have come to this but already booked into Cholmondeley Castle Rally :(

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
timjsparrow
Minor Friendly

Post by timjsparrow »

Oh dear, thats a shame :( . Maybe next year :) Have a nice time though.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, keep 'em comming ladies and gentlemen! The more the merrier.

Lots of interesting stuff on the cards so far. Amongst the list of entrants so far is at least one Sentinel Steam Lorry.
We shall also have as many of the Shuttleworth vehicles as will behave themselves on display as well. See http://www.shuttleworth.org/shuttlewort ... hicles.asp for the full list of what we've got.

Do forgive the lack of information on the vehicles in question, I shall mention this to our website editor.

I have just discovered that what it also doesn't show on the website is that we have an extensive collection of motorcycles, as well as the Shuttleworth families horse drawn carriages. However the latter don't come out very often if at all. Shame really as I like a nice carriage, but its hard to find a horse that's not spooked by rotating propellors and noisy engines on aeroplanes come show days.

So keep those entries coming. Remember its all your car's details plus contact telephone/email with a 1st class SAE to the address listed earlier in this thread, closing date 7th May.

Tim

theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

Count me in - was short of an event for that Saturday!
Details in post
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

Hi

Where's list of folk who have their passes ?

Please add mine :D

Looking forward to it.

Thanks Tim

0-60 eventually
romfordian
Minor Friendly

Post by romfordian »

Passes arrived today for VPL517G. See you there!
Mike