Restoracer

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonathon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Restoracer

Post by jonathon »

Just a few pics of my recent rebuild of my own racer. Loads to do now its up and running. Aim ,to have road legal by end of Feb then test, test, and test

<br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br>

The pics show a 2.0L supercharged Zetec motor @310bhp, this has now been swapped for a similar set up but with 260bhp, (more managable on the road)
Brakes are now uprated from RS turbo to AP Racing Cosworth discs and AP 4 pots
The car will be lowered by about 2.5" soon ans I'll swap the springs for some higher rated units. Any questions please do ask

:D <br>Image<br>

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

thats a brilliant job top quility work, is that the one under the stairs that was in bits???
i have a few questions
how long does it take to convert a normal car with a series engine and swop it for the ztec????
and where do you go racing and do you have to have a racing licence???
[sig]9671[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Cheers Andrew :D
Nope the one under the stairs is still in bits, waiting until I can afford to have it acid dipped and e coated, that one was a 53 splitty which will have a std Zetec in it.
The engine swap is complicated by the work needed to modify the bulkhead so it takes quite a while. once this bodywork is done the install is pretty quick, but the parts list is huge and takes this conversion out of most folks buget. If you allowed us a month it would see all of the bodywork (enginebay) finished and a working Zetec under the bonnet. Then you need to start on suspension , brakes etc etc :-? :D
We do not actually race (officially) but take part in charity track days mainly, these are at Snetterton, Llandow, Goodwood, and possibly the Bedford Autodrome, and Mallory Park. Its good to have a great days fun and know that our armed forces and local charities benefit, from it.
I do not have a race license.....yet :D

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

thats the way i would like to go when i pass my test
maybe start off with something abit cheaper okay a hell of alot cheaper once im on the road
looks like its still in my dreams
one day!!!!!!
[sig]9671[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Well, it took me 32 years after I passed my test to get this one :o :o :lol: :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very nice indeed. Slightly surprised the 'cage' doesn't extend forwards - hope you never need it!
ImageImage
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

An excellent conversion Jonathon, oozing build quality from every angle. Well done.

My question is can you do a quality rendition of "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby? :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

BM, the cage was taken from a defunct racer for speed of build.
When we fit the double wishbone system the cage will be extended as it will be mounted onto it.
Dean, cheers for the comment, and yes Bings o'l tunes are my speciality (cheeky so and so ) :lol: :lol:

eveline
Minor Fan

Post by eveline »

That is sooooo cool xxxx
[sig]9124[/sig]
jonathon
Minor Legend

Re: Restoracer

Post by jonathon »

Well, been busy with 'Horrace' who now has a new motor, a standard 2.0L Zetec but with the addition of a Rotrex supercharger.
This gives 220.6 bhp and just under 180ftlbs torque. The car now sits 2" lower, will go more at the front, but I'm making it Road legal soon.
We now have some useful sponsors on board, and the car has some 'war paint'. I'll post some pics of tuesdays trackday as soon as poss.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

Are you using wheel adapters on the front of your rocket.If so where did you get them from :D
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Hiya,

We are using a spacer. Due to the Cossie offset we have re machined our hubs to keep the wheel as central as possible over the wheelbearings. We had the adapters machines to take tapered nuts and Group 4 style inserts ointo the alloy spacer to take wheel bolts. It works very well as is, but I will be finalising our top wishbone this year to help stabilise the kingpin as its taking quite a loading under hard braking.
I won't be developing too much as this car is an appertiser for our full blown tube chassis glass fibre track/race cars. And my emphasis this year is to enjoy the experience on track and to develop a new raft of cheap bolt on kits as this seems to be the most popular route for most folk. :D

GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

What is your opinion on adapters,i'd like to go from moggy or ford 4 stud up to a VW 5 stud.

Nice colour by the way,what it.

Graeme.
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

As a rule I'm not a great fan, but as we had full control over the design and materials then in this case I'm pretty happy with them.
I cannot comment on after market ones, as I do not have any experience of Ford /VW. I'm sure that a Ford based kit could have a special set of hubs with 5 stud for a reasonable fee :wink: :D

GAS
Minor Fan

Post by GAS »

Good answer. :D
It may be some time but i'll be in touch.

Thanks Jonathon.
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Forgat the colour is a satin finish Fiat Grey, or as most folk think 'primer' :roll: :evil: :lol:

rich-legg
Minor Fan

Post by rich-legg »

Nice work Jonathon 8)
Rich's Resto Shop
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »