Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
winger300
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Headlining fitting

Post by winger300 »

I've recently purchased a new headcloth for my moggy.

How though do i insert the metal rods? The cloth has channels for them, but they are sewn up at the ends so theres no actual way of inserting the rods

Should i just cut the ends open?
Dizzi141
Minor Fan

Post by Dizzi141 »

I was wondering how peole fit new head lining, anyone fancy enlightening me? I do want to learn these things, sorry if my asking is getting irritating but I want to learn as much as I can.
Visit http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/dizzi141/Moggie/ to see the progress on Rosie.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

sorry if my asking is getting irritating
Not at all we all have to start somewhere and its not a job I have done either, but more importantly you really want to get that rear screen rubber sorted out to stop your wet rear carpets, also look under the rear seat base (it basically just pulls out) its surprising how much water gets in there and the problems it causes can be very expensive to sort out if left.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
winger300
Minor Fan

Post by winger300 »

http://www.minormonthly.com/magazine/issue054.phtml?ID=

That site gives you an idea of whats involved, although they make it appear easier than it really is.

points to note are...

The metal rods are of different lengths, so note which order they go in before removing them! (as i failed to do).

I bought a headlining from bullmotif, but i had to unpick the stitching where the rods push into. Make sure also that the rods are in the correct way, so the cloth follows the curvature of the roof.

Cut your fingernails before hand to avoid ripping it.

Once you have all the wire and rods in you can take it into the car, try and put the rods in from the front first, i had to slide them at angles to get them all in, and then shimmy them along. push the wires down the front door posts and screw them down. Straighten everything out, and screw it down at the rear.

The part around the rear windscreen is quite tough to get all the creases out.

It really hurts your fingers though. mine were sore for days afterwards!