stolen, blue two door saloon (1968)

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rosemary
MMOC Member: No

stolen, blue two door saloon (1968)

Post by rosemary »

Stolen! Blue two door saloon XWE 338G
From Chard, Somerset on 25th June. The fourteenth morris to be stolen from this area in the past 18 months. If seen, please report to the police.
Dark blue. A bit lighter blue than the original trafalgar blue (it was resprayed 'air force blue' in the past), interior still trafalgar blue. Cream radiator grill and wheels.
Good condition, only one rust spot on body work, about three millimeter diameter, below passenger key. Some rust on wheel rims.
Door sills are distinctive, shiny, stainless steel sills for both doors.
'Wing mirrors' are on doors.
Interior less good condition (was the next project). Pale blue seats, front seats some splits along stitching. No carpet on floor.
It was locked, with 'crook lock' to steering wheel and a petrol pump immobiliser. This area is being targeted by thieves, I can only advise holidaying morris' not to stop in Chard-Ilminster-South Petherton area of South Somerset.
XWE 338G has been my reliable, faithful car for 28 years, it is greatly missed. Please look out for it.
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Sorry to hear of this.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

thats very sad
[sig]5641[/sig]
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

:(
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
mrbenn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by mrbenn »

Disgusting, and particularly worrying given all your security precautions :evil:

So sorry to read this. Its one of my worst fears.

Hope you get the Minor back.
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

sorry to hear about your loss it seems stramge that there is so meany takern in that area is there a dogy garage that restores them down that way ?any one know ?
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

is there a dodgy garage that restores them down that way ?
Well Bigginger is down that way but as he is only interested in pickups and vans I think we can rule him out :wink:

Seriously, sorry about the theft Rosemary. Presumably with so many Minor's going missing in such a short period of time the Police will have considered any links and contacted local garages? Have they managed to locate any of the other stolen cars?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Weren't me, guv. Sympathy from here too
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

yes that true bigginer is there but he could cut the front off and use that who knows

question how far is a container port from you as if a lot are going missing its either a doggy garage somthing like that or stolern to order then shipped away ok it is easy to give the moggys a new id but that still may put people off a tip if you are restoring a mog weld in a plate witj the chassie number on to the box section each side on mine i have evern stamped the seats and painted my address and chassie number under the roof lining
ok this will never stop ****** i carnt say the word but at lest you know were to look if you did see it again

yet again good luck and i hope it truns up keep looking
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

Price of scrap metal these days? People who are not what they should be in the area? Possibile export? Possibe ringing? The list is endless. I hope the car if found safe and sound, but until the
##%&£4## (sorry I have had a dyslicsec moment) are found, this will probabley continue. Whay chance do we have?
janstolp
Minor Friendly

Post by janstolp »

I have copied this item on the Dutch Morris forum, after all they have to sell the car or the parts some how and the more people know the better.
It is very simple to drive the car to the continent,I do hope however that the car will turn up safe and sound!!
rosemary

Post by rosemary »

Thankyou for your replies, and to everyone who has looked out for XWE 338G. One police suggestion was the stolen cars might be going abroad, so thankyou Janstolp for putting the info on the Dutch Forum. Nearest ports to South Somerset are Weymouth, Portsmouth, plymouth that go to France and Spain, are there any contacts in France or Spain?
The police 'are aware' of the number of Morris' being stolen. No one seems to have seen mine go so without witnesses they are just leaving my case 'open'. The police did ask local houses if they saw anything and I have put up 'has-anyone-see-this-morris?' posters around town, but no result yet.
I don't know of any dodgy garages myself, but I know someone who knows someone who might...so I have asked them to pass the word on.
Thank you for your concern, it makes me feel better knowing there are people looking out for XWE 338 G (or whatever number plate it has now...). Please keep looking!
Rosemary
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune sounds like extreem security measures are needed in your area including taking out the rotor arm every time you leave it, and even that wont help if they tow it away.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Any news yet? Fingers crossed.

Ken
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Condolances from me too. Do also keep a regular eye out in autotrader and ebay etc... for 'similar' cars.
If yours does turn up, it might be worth to go and secure it immediately. In some cases the police have just 'phoned' the seller to discuss it :-? and before anything was actually done, the car dissapeared.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

purplebargeken wrote:Any news yet? Fingers crossed.

Ken
Unfortunately after a year it seems unlikely :(
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706