Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
57traveller
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Back in circulation

Post by 57traveller »

Back again after a disastrous corruption of my p.c. caused by loading some faulty software. It wiped out my operating system and cost £75 to reinstate everything. I'm now on the case with the software manufacturer for the £75! :evil:
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

Good luck with getting your dosh back. However as the software supplier only sells you a license, not the software, it's all really a big con, and it's hard to get Sales of Goods act on your side. But definetely worth a try.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Glad to see you're back amongst the fold! Hope you didn't lose too much data.

lowedb, Well he's after the manufacturer, but even so it sounds a bit contentious. Good luck with it - it's astonishing how much damage dodgy software can do...!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

If the manufacturer doesn't cough up then I'll be pursuing the seller. They sold the package not just the licence and it should have been of merchantable quality etc. My contract is actually with them and not the manufacturer. (I've been there before with other goods, and won ). The manufacturers tech. help admitted to me and more importantly to the people who fixed my P.C. that the software had caused the problems.
I have at least received a refund from the seller.
Fortunately I back up most things to cd or floppy so not lost much. It's still a pain in the backside though.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Did you pay be credit card?

If so, the credit card company are "jointly and severally lilable" - in other words, they are also part of the sale contract, so you can go after them as well as the seller.

This is very useful in the case where the retailer goes out of business, refuses to answer etc - another argument for using the plastic - especially where phone purchases are concerned!

Luck

Colin
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Thanks Colin, yes I did pay by credit card.
From past experience however credit card companies are as slippery and slimey as retailers in trying to crawl away from any liability :evil:
Had a dispute with a computer company some years ago and the credit card company at the time just disregarded numerous recorded delivery letters. For reference it was The Royal Bank of Scotland.
I've said in another thread when I "named and shamed" an individual that the UK legal system is TOTALLY loaded against a claimant and massively biased towards a proven villain.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Well ,there are some reputable and honourable software manufacturers out there.
I have been reimbursed the £75 it cost to have my pc sorted out. :D
However, it was described as a "goodwill payment" and of course they denied liability and gave me a copy of software terms and conditions "not responsible" etc. Anyway, they are to be commended.
Still doesn't affect statutory rights though - sale of goods act. I would have pursued seller (not manufacturer) on that tack anyway.