Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PaulJohnson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rust on the Carpets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Hello Everyone.
Now this might be a question for our older members?.
The bottom legs of both my drivers seat & passenger seat have got rust on the bottom of them.
This has made it`s way into the carpet, I have tryed to scrub it out but if I do anymore I will need another carpet.
Is there anybody out there that has any old grandma tale`s on how to get it out?.
P.s Got some cleaning stuff of the QVC shopping channel, they said it would clean anything,
Did it work? What do you think!!
57traveller
Minor Addict

Rust stains

Post by 57traveller »

Cover the stain with salt, squeeze lemon juice onto salt. Leave for about an hour then rinse well.
Or, pour lemon juice directly onto rust stain and lay out in direct sunlight (if you can find any!). The stain will hopefully disappear in 10 - 15 minutes.
The above are harmless to fabrics but might be worth testing on a non visible bit first.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That sounds a good idea :lol: 57 must try and remember it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Paul,

The problem with rust is that it's iron oxide (with water as well) which is insoluble in water. Using acid (any acid - including lemon juice) will convert the oxide to soluble iron. BUT acid will rot the carpets... so don't leave the carpates in acid longer than you have to.

Lemon Juice (citric acid) is good because citric acid forms a soluble complex with iron which is quite stable (it won't just spread the stain).

You can go down to the local home-brew shop and buy a tub of citric acid quite cheaply (lot easier than squeezing all those lemons! - and you can start another hobby). I would also add some "Calgon" (TM) which has the effect of softening the water as well - that should stop the lime scale from the tap water from adding another stain as it dries (we have hard water in the Thames Valley).

Colin
MoggyGalore
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyGalore »

Have a look under the carpet too to see if the rust is rising up from the floor..... I hope it's not. :o :D