Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paulhumphries
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Wished I'd never started moan !

Post by paulhumphries »

Today I've been very brave.
I knew my saloon needed a couple of small welding repairs before I took it for a MOT.
My favorite tool for checking structures is a welding chipping hammer.
Shock / Horror - far more work is needed than expected.
Looks like it had a very lenient MOT last year before I bought it as hidden under thick underseal is filler and rot.
Nothing serious and all standard Minor problem areas but not expected so looks like a mini restoration rather then a couple of jobs for MOT.
Tomorrow it's off with the sill plates to see what horrors they might be hiding.
At least main chassis rails, floor, spring front mounts are sound (and original).
I suppose I might as well fit the 1275 & autobox at same time as well as the disc brakes (and servo) plus electric fan, new front wings etc. whilst it's off the road.

I think it might be time to get A35 recommissioned as a run around as these thing seem to take far longer then planned :roll:

Paul Humphries
aussiemike
Minor Fan

Post by aussiemike »

does sound like more of a mini resto with all of that work. But will be very cool whn done. I love a35's too. Girlfriend has always wanted one.
cheers and good luck, michael.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Feeling your pain Paul. I had exactly the same experience with my van. Solidarity......

wibble xx
mal
Minor Addict

Wished I'd never started moan

Post by mal »

I think it might be time to get A35 recommissioned
Paul, that reminds me, did you ever find that paperwork you said you had regarding using a Moggy brake master cylinder on the A35 ? I managed to nearly cure the leak with another set of rubbers, but I have a spare Moggy cylinder which is nearly new, and would swap if possible..

Mal
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Took the sill plates off and although inner will need replacing it's only the bottom 1/2" that has rotted.
Overall I'm happy as it'as all "text book" repairs rather then having to remove revious bodges repairs first.
The previous owner gave me mountains of receipts that he was given when he bought the car.
They included yearly Waxoyl but certainly no sign of any under he sill covers as it's still shiney Almond Green paint !
Looks like if the garage that was paid to do the Waxoyl had actually done the job properly then it might not need sills now !
One point though - the sill covers are silver rather than body colour. Is this standard ?

Paul Humphries.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

My 63 4 door (also Almond Green) has silver painted sill covers too.