Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paulhumphries
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Stolen Minors

Post by paulhumphries »

It's more than a bit upsetting to see three stolen Minors posted in one day.
From roughly the same area is very suspicious.
Like the posters say - probably stolen to order rather then casual.
That makes me think how are they going to be disposed.
First off is cloning identity of a rotten vehicle, then selling abroad (doubtful) leaving broken for parts.
If anyone searches eBay etc keep their eyes open for people breaking vehicles in that area as I reckon that is one of the current methods thieves use. Payment by PAYPAL only is something that always makes me suspicious as well as no collection - post only.
Maybe a picture of the stolen vehicle on the forum thread might be helpful for those viewing potential purchases to see if it's a clone of a known stolen car ?
Sympathies to those who have suffered the crimes. It's only happened to me once with a moped that I got back but appreciate how upsetting it can be.

Paul Humphries
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Why is export doubtful? I've heard they can sell for a lot in the US due to the scarcity.

Perhaps we need a new thread on methods of theft prevention.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

alex_holden wrote:Why is export doubtful? I've heard they can sell for a lot in the US due to the scarcity.
Maybe but there is the problem of actually getting them to the US and all the time they are in transit the worry (to the thief) they might get caught. US customs aren't stupid and want confirmation of clear title before allowing onto their soil so for that sort of effort they migh as well steal something valuable like Jag, Porsche, Rolls etc rather then a sub £3000 Minor.
Steal, break into unidentifiable parts and sell is my guess as what happens to a lot of lower value stolen cars of all makes.
What is horrible is that as scrap metal prices rise then older cars become easy targets for simply getting weighed in as scrap @ around £50 and crushed straight away.
To a drug user etc £50 gives them a quick fix and they couldn't care less about the real value.
If they steal a modern car then it might ring alarm bells at scrap metal merchants but who is going to give a old or slightly tatty Minor a second glance unless they are an enthusiast.
The disheartening thing is the Police virtually tell the owners that there is no chance of finding their pride & joy and just give a crime number so you can make an insurance claim.
I'd welcome a seperate thread about security from modern electronic to old fashinioned removing the rotor arm.

Paul Humphries
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Chances are that 2 missing in such close proximity in such a short space of time = stolen to order.
That particular are they were stolen from (happen to know it very well) is bad for any vehicle getting stolen, so mogs wouldnt be on the top of the shopping list for joyriders.
Having anything stolen is bad enough but doubly bad when its something with sentiment attached thats irreplaceable :-(
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Always makes you wonder if dubious garages are nicking them (or receiving them unknowingly) to furnish their spares departments.

Steeling Minors to order always seems a little unbelievable to me.. we're not talking E type jags here and 2nd hand Minors aren't worth that much in the grand scheme of things.
I wonder if the Mini lot suffer similar problems?
What would Macgyver do..?
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

dunketh wrote:Always makes you wonder if dubious garages are nicking them (or receiving them unknowingly) to furnish their spares departments.
Many years ago a friend had a MKII Granada when they were still in production.
He used to get good used spares from a local breakers where you weren't allowed into the yard - they removed the bits for you.
Turned out they received most of the stolen Granada bits in the area. Not whole cars but unidentifiable parts.
Another friend, a sergeant, said Police suspected what was going on and had checked them out several time but could find no definative proof so could do nothing.
No reason why similar might not be happening with Minors - it does with Land Rovers.

Paul Humphries
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

Now all you genuine Banger racers dont get me wrong I know 99% of you are straight, but is there a 'classic destruction derby' scheduled at any of the local Stock car tracks? the editor of Practical classics Granada was stolen for one of those.
I'll see you on the otherside'!