Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ricky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by ricky »

Hi

Quickly found this site following a purchase of a 1967 2 door olive green 1000 a couple of weeks ago. As a non technical person who is keen to learn, I quickly realised the benifits of membership.

I was looking throught he documents supplied this morning and found the previous MOT from 1992. Since then it has been garaged until earlier this year when it was put back on the raod. The MOT indicates its done 67 miles since then, I think I've prebably done about thirty of those.

All the bits work, it's very clear and tidy and I've started the service schedule, although a bit slow. It's been up on a ramp and inspected for rot etc, however I think I've been luck as only a small patch was detected in the floorwell near the back seats. It's going up again this afternoon for a better look and a weld.

My only struggle so far is the grease nipples on top of the front suspension which appear to be blocked. Can you unblock them in any way or it better to get them replaced. I have tried a couple of places who give me a puzzled look when I show them such small components.

Thanks

R
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Welcome aboard Ricky Try this site, http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/
This is just one of a number of parts suppliers.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

You might be able to unblock them by poking a bit of welding wire through.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Hi, Welcome...

The easiest way to get bits is to use one of the major online stores (check the links page) - I've used ESM, Bull Motif all are happy to talk to you over the phone to sort out exactly what you need (remember that some parts are age related)

I think that ESM charge about £1 per nipple - it's propably not worth your time to try & clean them.
I replace the lower nipples with the 90 degree type - it means that I don't have to jack the car so high to fit the grease gun (you have to have the weight off the wheel, but now it can be "just" off the ground.

All the best,

Colin
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

welcome
yes the grease nipples can be unblocked best way would be take them off then try to push the ball bearing in wards this should clear it unless they are rusted solid,you can get them new from meany places ie wilco motor spares etc
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
ricky
Minor Friendly

Post by ricky »

Thanks

Already sourced from ESM, many thanks.

R
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I've unblocked some, and replaced some. Some of the new ones are not as big as the originals making greasing slower.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

welcome to the club, and to the messageboard, ricky :D
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Talking from experience* here, its probably best to just replace the top and bottom joints that those nipples are found on.

At least jack the car up and give the wheel a damn good wiggle, if there's any play in the top or bottom joints then definitely change them!

I did all four on my car, cost £60 for the parts.

(* basically, my wheel came off!)
What would Macgyver do..?