Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bigginger
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Shirts.

Post by bigginger »

At the risk of ruffling more feathers, I'll be quick. If you wanted one of these by mail, please PM me an address, I'll return mine and on receipt of a cheque (payee details by same return PM) for ten pounds per shirt, send one.

Last edited by bigginger on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Onne

Post by Onne »

they are very nice indeed!
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

and the shirts are very nice as well :wink:
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

A small point, but with petrol 4 stroke piston engine, it should strictly be "suck squeeze BURN blow" as the combustion stroke is a fast burn rather than an explosion. If not then you have pinking ;-)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

chickenjohn wrote:A small point, but with petrol 4 stroke piston engine, it should strictly be "suck squeeze BURN blow" as the combustion stroke is a fast burn rather than an explosion. If not then you have pinking ;-)
Yes, but Bang is much funnier :lol:
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

Pinking? surely, as a small point :wink: you mean pre-ignition :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Nice to see Cam made it in the end as well.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
mal
Minor Addict

Shirts.

Post by mal »

Nice photo of the group :wink:
How about putting names to faces ??

Mal
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well the ones I know, sorry to the others poor memory
Back left is Matt, Back right is Roger,
Front Left is Andrew BigG, next to him is Lou and far right is Cam
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Judge wrote:Pinking? surely, as a small point :wink: you mean pre-ignition :D
dieseling.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Two different things.

dieseling (′dē·zəl·iŋ)
(mechanical engineering) Explosions of mixtures of air and lubricating oil in the compression chambers or in other parts of the air system of a compressor. Continuation of running by a gasoline spark-ignition engine after the ignition is turned off. Also known as run-on.

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. The engineered combusting process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Back row L to R
Mattt, PaulK (poss : JimK, brain like a colander, me :oops: ) , Onne, Leafy, Roger Rust
Front row row L to R
Bigginger, Lou, Gill, Cam
Do I win a prize?
Last edited by bigginger on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

No!! Kevin and I didn't feature, and your spelling of Matt is incorrect :wink: :lol: :lol:
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Oops :oops: I *think* I have one of you in the shirt at the prize giving - which was much appreciated, btw. I'll dig it out and post it if I have
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Judge wrote:Two different things.

dieseling (′dē·zəl·iŋ)
(mechanical engineering) Explosions of mixtures of air and lubricating oil in the compression chambers or in other parts of the air system of a compressor. Continuation of running by a gasoline spark-ignition engine after the ignition is turned off. Also known as run-on.

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. The engineered combusting process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically.
Which proves my point, it would only be a bang if the engine was not running correctly. Otherwise it should be "suck squeeze burn blow" unless its a diesel engine.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

So YOU get some shirts done... The 'humour' relies rather on the fact that it's a pretty common phrase, and disappears rather if you alter it, I'd say. Still, that's me put in my place.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I'm just trying to clear up a common misconception about the internal combustion engine. No offense meant!

Are the t-shirts funny? ;-)
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

No.
a
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

chickenjohn wrote:
Judge wrote:Two different things.

dieseling (′dē·zəl·iŋ)

Which proves my point, it would only be a bang if the engine was not running correctly. Otherwise it should be "suck squeeze burn blow" unless its a diesel engine.
This discussion revolved aound the wording on the T shirt. This wording was based on accepted terminology.

To support this I would bring your attention to Exhibit A - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A633232

In view of this I rest my case for the defence :wink: :lol:
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I don't know who invented the mnemonic but I first heard it on a TV programme made in 1991.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.