What is concours?

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

What is concours?

Post by southerly95 »

I guess there must be a definition of concours to enable judging against criteria - anyone care to elaborate?

The difficulty I have is that if I clean one part of the engine bay and polish it, the rest looks poor in comparison. And then as you do more the remaining grubby bits stand out even more! It is tempting to polish the alloy bits highly too - but they were never produced like that in the first place. I wonder then is the purpose of concours to replicate the condition of a new vehicle so it is authentic or is it to present everything as highly polished as possible?

Thanks, John
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

is the purpose of concours to replicate the condition of a new vehicle so it is authentic
Thats it in a nutshell.
The club can supply you with a full set of rules if you wish to enter at a rally, but you can just enter your car and see how you get on.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

If you go to the links page on the Custom & Modified website (link below) you will find the full Concours rules available for download.
southerly95
Minor Fan

Thanks

Post by southerly95 »

Thanks for replies and I have read the rules - Betty is perfect as she is, on reflection :D
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Re: What is concours?

Post by paulhumphries »

southerly95 wrote: the purpose of concours to replicate the condition of a new vehicle
This amuses me when I remember visiting a Dacia dealer with a friend who was interested in buying one.
To replicate the condition of a new Dacia bodywork you would have to make sure that it was sprayed without first ensuring all dust & dirty was removed from the bodyshell, the finish should be "orange peel" and rust in corners.
The dealer assured us that all the faults would be sorted before delivery.
Looking around the back were a stack of brand new cars that were beings stripped for parts.
The mate bought a FSO instead.

Paul Humphries
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The dealer assured us that all the faults would be sorted before delivery.
Looking around the back were a stack of brand new cars that were beings stripped for parts.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Thanks

Post by Judge »

southerly95 wrote:Thanks for replies and I have read the rules - Betty is perfect as she is, on reflection :D
It's a pity more people do not enter their cars into concours, without new entrants, MMOC Concours may cease to exist altogether :(
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Can we have a "Dacia standard concours class", having read the description above my Traveller would do well in that.