how did you come to be a Moggy owner?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morris_Harding
MMOC Member: No

Post by Morris_Harding »

chrisd87 wrote:Morris_Harding,

I'm also a student at Exeter uni (in Birks halls at the moment), if you see a J-reg trafalgar blue 2-dr moggy driving around then it's me!
I'll look out for you, I'm in Mardon at the mo.
Aloysius - 1968 4dr Saloon

The Other Morrisman
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Eight years ago last month I was cycling down a nearby side-street when I spotted an abandoned trafalgar blue 4-Door. It had badly dented wings and a Sept 96 tax disc. I thought it so strange that an old car would just be thrown away. I'd never given classics much thought before, but that evening it kept entering my thoughts. The next day I went back to knock on the nearby doors. To my horrow I found that the windscreen and two side windows had been smashed by the local yobs. :-? I went home, gathered a dustpan & brush and enlisted my girlfriend. Together we cleared the broken glass, pumped up the tyres and pushed it 200 yards uphill back to my house. I had to remove one of my fence panels to get it in the garden (helped by my neighbour).

The next morning I carefully examined it and found a big hole in the floor.. :o This picture was taken shortly after. I spent the next two months sourcing glass from a scrapyard & fitting it. With a few service parts and some new petrol I finally got the car to start and I was able to drive it up and down the service road behind my house. However I soon realised that it was well beyond economic repair.

Four months later I happened to glance at an Autocar magazine in the newsagent and saw a 2-Door Minor for sale in Windsor for £500. Went along that evening, handed over £475 and drove the car home with very bad brakes and a oval tyre! It needed a fair bit of work at first, but it's been a reliable daily driver for the last six years.
Last edited by Chris Morley on Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

HarryMango wrote:
bigginger wrote:G reg makes it a '69/'70 :D
Or even 68/69 :wink: - I know how you like to be accurate - us Pedants have got to stick together :lol:

Rog
Couldn't remember when the change was - oops :oops:
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

Or even 68/69
yep h reg is 69/70

DaveC
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DaveC »

My folks had a traveller betwen 1959 and 1966. After that my brother who is 5 years older than me had a few travellers and a van, and I had always wanted one. I eventually bought ONN 991F, a Light Blue traveller in 1988, but due to circumstances had to sell her after only a year. Since 1995 I have had diesel peugeots to commute to Leicester from Suffoilk, but have always wanted another traveller.
Last year I bought 'Doreen' a 1968 Trafalgar Blue traveller (probably for too much money), who has had an underbody rebuild. Since then I have repaired the wood (only soft in one place), replaced the braking system/pipes and have had the engine rebuilt. Haven't found any holes in the body yet, but the front wings will need doing in a couple of years or so. Work in Leicester may be finishing soon, so I want to get Doreen tip-top so she will be in good condition when I haven't so much wedge, and I can sell the Pug when I'm not doing the miles. :)

I used to hate working on cars, but I love working on the Morris, as it is a practically designed vehicle, without all those special (french) tools to undo things that are required for the Pug....just a handful of whitworth spanners..!

She also slows my driving down.... :wink:

Dave
jtd.75
Minor Fan

Post by jtd.75 »

I first drove a morris minor van for liverpool post office telephones in the 60's (it had rubber wings) and in the late 90's I changed from a 1967 morris LD ambulance (18 mpg down hill) to a 1963 2 door saloon and since then it has had a partner to keep her company in the garage a 1960 2 door saloon. Wife is not very happy :cry: that her car (2 years old) has to stay out side in all weathers while my 2 pride and joys are in doors :D. My wife says even my clothes blend in when I'm out in the cars :-?. The first card that I owned was a ford pop (sit up and beg) and if I'm not mistaken it was a split w/screen
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

Bought mine at the age of 15. I wanted a car to work in so i thought a volkswagen bug would be a good car. I found an ad postin online saying "1952 Morris Minor, looks like a bug". I went and bought the car the next day for 500 dollars. The body is cherry on it and everyones brother had yet to get there hands on it. With the that sad it took me about 6 months to get in on the road (1275, 4 speed, mgb diff, disc brakes, blah blah blah). I fell in love with that car, its my first car and i'll own it til the day i die.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

got my first minor when I was 14 a rather tatty pick-up which he didnt know where to throw away so he just left it in the garage and I started doing some work on it but after some months my father called a friend of his to come pick-it up for parts, I miss that pick-up to this day, then I got my 53 van from my dad when I was 17, this time I took off the wheels so he couldnt tow it out :D and all my others came from seeing them lying around and buying them just to save them, but my love for minors came from all the good times I had with my dad driving around in them