Oil Filler cap

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mike Shipman »

When removing the oil filler cap today to top up with oil, one of the two studs which the cap locks onto came off (not into the engine thankfully).
I replaced the cap which has held more or less in place with the remaining stud, might this cause a problem (lower oil pressure?) and if so, any suggestions regarding a remedy?.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike Shipman.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

A loose filler cap should not have any effect on your oil pressure.
The only problem occurs if the filler cap falls off. Then the engine compartment may fill with oil fumes which smell and make everything rather messy under the bonnet.
I would be inclined to tie it down with string if it looks as is it might fall off.
Willie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Willie »

If you have the rubber pipe coming from the
rocker box cover to the air filter then it
means that some fumes will come from the loose filler cap and you will eventually get
oil dribbling from the filler cap. If you
have the type of filler cap which has "replace every 12000 miles" on it (has
a wire mesh filter in it) there will be no
effect whatsoever. Presumably you have a
small hole where the stud was? try a very
short self tapping screw, or order another
rocker cover (and new gasket) from one of the
second hand suppliers.
Willie
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Dear Messrs (or Mssrs) New Age and Willie - thanks for the replies...
Im mechanically illiterate so struggle with maintenace issues generally, (shame that most Ad Ed colleges no longer offer vehicle maintenance classes but that's another matter). Thanks to New Age I felt confident of doing my daily 40 mile round trip to / from work today and was pleased to get Willies reply as during my trip today I thought "I could put a self tapping screw in that hole into the filler cap to secure it".... I'll get onto that in the next day or so. On the matter of Ad Ed classes, I assume there are none now as most contemporary vehicles cannot be maintained by "willing amateurs" as they have all sorts of computerised / digital parts to them or does someone else know differently?.
Thanks again New Age and Willie - your responses are greatly appreciated.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hi Mike
Restoration courses are still around, they are certainly held in Luton, Beds & Willesden, London NW10, I have also seen ad`s for Leeds & I think the Stockport area in the north, so I would have thought there would be something similar in your region, have you tried a search on the web

Mike just did a quick search and after finding where Sway is I came up with one not far from you, hope it helps.

Southampton City College
Courses : Part Time
Tuition Fees : Yes
Contact telephone number : 023 80484848
Email: information@southampton-city.ac.uk

Regards
Kevin P Daly[ This Message was edited by: Kevin on 19-03-2002 14:45 ]
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

I have a spare rocker box you can have , if you give me your address , I will drop it off next time i'm in Xchurch to see my daughter.
ash

Post by ash »

i know this is irrelevant and a bit of an add but i have no connections with the company that i am about to name and i am farly sure he does the courses the gentleman in question is the `gaffa` at hull morris minor centre he runs a course and due to the nature of jis buisness it may be one of the better courses available 4 us mog owners.

p.s. he does run a very comprehensive parts service and the advice is extremly helpful.

glad to b of help
if you are any where near or the MOT comes past then e-mailme ashleywade95@hotmail.com and we can meet up
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan

Post by Mike Shipman »

Kevin - thanks for the info on Southampyton City College, I checked their site and their courses are for people in the trade to do NVQ 1, 2 or 3 - one day pw for one year. I was hoping to find an evening class to introduce me to the basics of servicing and maintenance. I'll keep looking around.

Ian - many thanks for the offer of the spare rocker box, please e-mail me on michael.shipman@btinternet.com to say when you are seeing your daughter and I'll send an attachment of directions. We are only 9 miles from Christchurch.

Thanks again to everyone else for contributions.