Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Willie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

key

Post by Willie »

when I lost my keys i switched it on by using the end of a nail file!!
depends how worn the lock is. if you are really stuck then connect
from the non earthed side of the battery to the side of the coil which
is NOT connected to the distributor(black and white wire) and then
use your starting handle. ( I say it like this because we do not know
if you are pos or neg earth). If you can find one of those helpful
car shops which cuts keys they will have a huge bunch of keys and
you will have to plough through them until you find the right number.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

IF your van has the later one piece ignition then the key number (probably an FS key) will be stamped on the barrel of the ignition lock. To get at this you need to first remove the speedo and then remove the ignition module from the dash (by unscewing the nut which holds it). From memory you will then see a small hole in the side of the module. To release the lock barrel push a thick pin into the hole (it depresses a spring holding the barrel in place). I would guess the same number is also stamped on the barrel within the door lock.

Personally I've been able to open many 1098cc Minor doors with the key FS948.
Willie
Minor Legend

keys

Post by Willie »

Oh, I forgot to say that you would also need to run a wire from
the unearthed battery terminal to the fuel pump! If it starts thats
fine, but if you stop the engine you must disconnect the wire to the
coil,otherwise it will burn out quite quickly
Willie
Cam

Post by Cam »

One you have the key number, most Minor places have a good selection in stock. I got 2 complete sets (3 different keys) from the Morris Minor centre in Birmingham
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

My dad used to start our 57dr with a screwdriver but ideally you'll need a key.

Like Chris says the code should be on the lock - same for van rear doors etc.

One question I have tho is how do you get at the code for the fuel cap when it is locked onto the filler?
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
jane_b
Minor Friendly

Post by jane_b »

I can open my doors with most keys.....garage door key etc etc. A mechanic friend once told me he could start one with a matchstick! I didnt ask if he was serious....I was too busy planning an immobiliser!!!!
Jane
x
[img]http://homepages.tesco.net/janebarker/img/minorblue.gif[/img]
<b>BLOSSOM!
Cam

Post by Cam »

code for the fuel cap
They were a non-standard accessory, so you won't be able to get a code. best thing to do is undo the jubilee type clips and remove the fuel filler tube from the tank complete with the cap, then drill the cap mechanism out to remove it.
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Well thanks then! This information in the wrong hands could loose us our moggies now anyone viewing the board knows how to, well you know enter and drive with out keys if you get my point. I don't mean to sound rude here, but I' have just had my Moggie van done over by some low life scum that made off with a LOT of stuff leaving me seriously out of pocket as insurance didn't cover the goods stolen. Thankfully it was parked behind a Transit van so they couldn't make off with my pride and joy. But had I been parked in a car park, on road or even the wrong side of dads Transit I could have lost my moggie due to wiring tips like that!!!
I know you were only trying to help a fellow moggie owner Willie, and the chances of low life reading our board are very slim but please mate could you edit (delete) your posts detailing the wirring method, just in case. Again, please don't think me rude mate, but it is in all our best interests.
And yes my dads Transit was done over aswell leaving more damage and further out of pocket, as were 11 other trades men that night. And what gets me is the police did NOTHING! not even finger print anything or even send a car out, absolutely nothing!!!, and we pay our taxes for that. I did suggest wirring my Moggies to the mains but aparently thats illegal?

Cheers, Daniel
Cam

Post by Cam »

In the past couple of years I have had my Rover broken into 4 times my MGB's roof slashed and my Moggy broken into.

I know how you feel mate! and it's B A D.

Unfortunately Moggies and mostly all early cars can be broken into and hot-wired by all but the dumbest of primates! We all must take precautions against this. I personally lock my Moggy and MG in a garage and the Rover which has to stand out has absolutely nothing inside of value and has an immobiliser fitted.

My advice to you is to remove any items from the car and fit a good (or more than one) immobiliser.
Daddsie
Minor Friendly

Post by Daddsie »

I was always amused at Daniels pre occupation of locking his vehicles even when working next to them. I now can understand his concerns.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Is Yeovil such a crime hot spot? And I thought my area was bad... :evil:

I think you've got to view a Minor's locks as presenting no barrier to lowlife. :-? You could fill your back seat with old manuals and manky jackets - then it will look like you haven't got anything worth nicking! I'm also wary of spending money on a perfect paint job and shiny chrome for a Minor which lives outside. If a Minor looks a bit shabby the average opportunist scumbag thinks it's not worth nicking. An immobiliser is a very good idea, as is removing the rotor arm - as long as you have a torch for night time refitting.
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

Thing is I do have imobilisers, more than one, but none are any good if the above wirring method is used. And 5 lever dead locks on the front doors, yes 5 lever dead locks. I also was reversed up against another car so the back was not accessable, as they couldn't open the doors, everything went through the window. Unfortunatley being my work van I need tools and taking them out every night is not somthing thats simple and quick. I've now made a rather large lock for the rear doors, Daddsie will laugh when he sees it, its nearly as big as the doors. I did do the rotor arm removal once, and only once, I lost the damn thing and had to wait for a friend to bring me another :oops:
Ah well we live and learn. I do remove all valuables now. I have thought of a lock that imobilises the vehicle by a bar through the prop or somthing, any ideas. That is a serious question by the way.

Cheers, Daniel
Willie
Minor Legend

wiring

Post by Willie »

Oh come on, I can understand you being upset because your
car was attacked but my wiring advice would be common
knowledge to anyone who made it their business to pinch cars.
The Minors and their like were built in a much more honest age
and present no problems to a thief. Remove the Rotor arm!!!
I have been using my own electrical anti theft device for forty
years and have not lost any of my assorted convertibles and
sports cars but, I wouldn't dream of putting details on a public
site because it is NOT common knowledge unlike how to start
your car is if you have lost the key.
Willie
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I have thought of a lock that imobilises the vehicle by a bar through the prop or somthing, any ideas. That is a serious question by the way.
I have made a clamp that fits behind the clutch and brake pedal which stops them being operative. This once foiled a thief.
I know the vehicle could still be towed, the only solution I can think of for that is a wheel clamp, but the former beats the average low life.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

I have a little book (easily available from Waterstones, IIRC) which tells, amongst other things, how to escape from bears, crocodiles, swarms of killer bees, how to land a plane, ram another vehicle, and of course, hotwire a car. It's really not difficult enough to warrant instructions!! Anyone with a bit of nous could manage to do it, I'm sure!

I work on the principle, that if the toe-rags are determined enough, then they will steal anything. My Morris lives in a locked garage, but when she is left outside (at the pub....!) I remove everything of value, or hide things out of view. I have a crooklock, which is really just a visual deterrent, 'cos it was only £8 from Wilkinsons!

If they steal the car, they may just joyride it, and hopefully, leave it abandoned somewhere. The worst-case scenario is that it will be found burnt-out. If it's just abandoned, then you're onto a winner, surely... If you make life difficult for them, how much damage will they cause when they finally get the car?

Around here, no-one breaks into cars anymore. They do over the house looking for the keys. The easiest way to get around a modern immobiliser is to pick up the keys from by the front door. £600 for an alarm and immobiliser, and yet the £30 Yale latch on the front door lets you down! The depressing theme here is that if they want it enough, they will get it.
I' have just had my Moggie van done over by some low life scum that made off with a LOT of stuff leaving me seriously out of pocket as insurance didn't cover the goods stolen.
So... you left a lot of expensive stuff in a motorcar that could be, I think we have agreed, less secure than my shed. Most workmen's vans around here have a "no tools are left in this vehicle overnight" sticker on the rear doors. As a general rule, it's true - especially if you can't see inside the van!

Bottom line, is: don't try to fight it: remove the incentive.

Anyway, that's my rant over. It's a shame when anyone's property is broken into, or stolen, but it is the world in which we live.

If you have security devices, then use them. I lock Phyllis whenever I leave her, and always take the front of the stereo. If they can't see something, then it's not worth looking for.

As I have said before (and I'm sorry that this is turning into a dissertation!) if you fit a cheap 'n' chearful immobiliser - a concealed switch in the ignition system - do it properly. Heavy gauge wires, protection where it goes through the bulkhead, and a heavy-duty switch. If the switch shorts out (thanks, DPO) it may well take the whole of the ignition system with it. Electrical fires are not nice things!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
jane_b
Minor Friendly

Post by jane_b »

Gareth you said it exactly. If they want it badly enough they will take it. My neighbours car was taken fromhis drive a while back, they somehow managed to push it down the street and into a sideroad where they stripped it of its stereo, speakers etc.

I leave nothing on display at all, not worth the risk really. Just put my crook lock on and thats it. I always try and park in a well lit area and I had a small light fitted to the drive that gets brighter when in senses movement.
Jane
x
[img]http://homepages.tesco.net/janebarker/img/minorblue.gif[/img]
<b>BLOSSOM!
Cam

Post by Cam »

Another point worth mentioning is:

Don't annoy the theif too much. I know this sounds a bit mental, but if you make life too difficult for them, then they will simply switch from steal mode to destroy mode and will break and slash everything in sight.

I knew a bloke with a new 5-series BMW that had his radio nicked, so he invested in a much better 'anti-theft' radio which for some reason (I forget the details) the theives could not remove, so they slashed his leather dashboard and seats.

Another bloke I knew of used to leave his Porsche 911 unlocked and immobilised because when his door locks were forced previously it caused so much damage that he had to have a new door.

I think that we all agree: remove the incentive, and if possible, lock the car away from the theiving scum.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Thanks, Cam. That was the direction I was rambling in.

There are downsides to absolutely every anti-theft device on the market. Each and every device, I guarantee, can be overcome using the right tools. My Dad locked himself out of the Metro once - the nice man from the AA came along and, with a steel ruler (not even one with cutouts to catch the linkage, apparently...) opened the door in about 5 seconds.

If they want it, they'll get it.
There's no point in stopping them from getting it - too much damage could be caused in the process.
Try stopping them wanting it.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

my wiring advice would be common
knowledge to anyone who made it their business to pinch cars
I would agree - If the car stealing scum were clever enough to actually do this, they would not need to be told how to do it, they would already know. Is it dangerous to tell people easy methods to over-ride an immobiliser!?! That sticks in peoples' heads..

One of my minors was broken into in a theft attempt. They broke the quarterlight, then they screwdrivered the ignition, but the thing wouldn't start!
I was furious - more so because any key would open the door and turn the ignition (same as old minis etc..), so if they had not been so thick they would have known that. So I was left with repairs to do for no reason...
then I had to get the darn thing to start so I could take it somewhere else before they came back to try again (petrol pump had packed up in the 18 months it was standing - I thought it was rather fortunate as the heap was not insured, but then I took it for an MOT and realised that losing the car would not have been a bad idea). LOL

My sister had 2 Fiestas stolen from her work carpark - under the security camera. She got to watch the video the first time, and it took the guy 6 seconds to get in the car, and much less time to get the krook lock off! He left the lock lying in the carpark. Not knowing why it hadn't worked, smy sister used it on the next Fiesta.. Which was stolen 8 months later from nearly the same spot. The second time she didn't even bother to watch the security video.
Sorry Gareth but A krook lock is not worth the time it takes to fit on the car.

The moral of the story is that 90% of car thieves are thick as #### but the professional theives will really know what they are doing.

Any clever anti theft device is a good idea, as it is unlikely the theif will know what to do with it.
On my euroboxes I use a disk-lock (Expensive), but there is no easy way round so it will deter 99.9% of car theives who wouldn't want the effort and hopefully they just keep walking until they find another car they fancy - The useful thing is that it the lock can be seen from 100 yards so they do not damage the car breaking in to it, or vandalise it after they realise they are wasting their time.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(