Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: not starting

Post by Stourbridge_moggy »

I think my lack of terminology is confusing everyone.
moggalot wrote:Can I just point out that this thread starts with the words 'Just a quick one' and the number of posts has gone into the seventies! The suspense is killing me, have you had any progress yet, or even solved this multiple mystery?
I now have the engine turning over but not starting.... I've uploaded a video....

http://youtu.be/WqJzurILfC4

I do apologies if my posts seem confusing. I am trying and having never worked on a car before I am doing my best
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Don't worry about it, it's difficult to explain something you know very little about, but by the end of this you will know a bit more :wink: There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the battery or starter motor, have you tried tipping a little bit of petrol down the carb? If it runs for a few seconds then the problem is fuel related.
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

panky wrote:There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the battery or starter motor, have you tried tipping a little bit of petrol down the carb? If it runs for a few seconds then the problem is fuel related.
I think this is why I was struggling. Battery/starter and fuel problem to begin with. I haven't trying tipping some petrol in the carb, but will tomorrow.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Just an egg cup full.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which has been suggested and ignored in the past...... Surely it all started with a flat battery..... and so now, suddenly the engine cranks over ? I believe there is still something draining the battery - and constant charging is required until that drain is discovered. Most likely stuck in regulator contacts, We need to know if the Ign light stays on when the Ign is OFF.
ImageImage
moggalot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggalot »

I asked about the ignition light about 10 days Ago and i think the answer was no light at all. Is that still the case?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The bulb may have blown with being on all the time with Ign off...... It will still be discharging the battery and warming the Dynamo if that is the case.
ImageImage
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

A new ignition lamp was fitted on the 17th, might have blown again mind you but I doubt it
moggalot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggalot »

OK, but did the new bulb illuminate when ignition was on and go out when switched off???

Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

MrIan wrote:A new ignition lamp was fitted on the 17th, might have blown again mind you but I doubt it
moggalot wrote:OK, but did the new bulb illuminate when ignition was on and go out when switched off???
Haven't had chance to work on the car today but yes the ignition light goes out when switched off
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

ok - thanks for that. Can I suggest you charge the battery and leave it disconnected all the time you are not working on the car.....
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

bmcecosse wrote:ok - thanks for that. Can I suggest you charge the battery and leave it disconnected all the time you are not working on the car.....
Thanks, I took your advice. Took the battery off till this morning. Went back to the challenge after a few days and finally got the engine running.

The problem?.... snapped choke cable.

I think it was a mix of dirty starter then the choke cable, which could have been caused by the messing around in the engine.

Thanks for the support and patience.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Is there an earth strap bridging the engine mounting?
If there isn't the choke cable acts as the earth return path and gets very hot.
Might explain some of the troubles you have been having.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I can't believe we went through all that and you didn't realise the choke wasn't working... You were asked to pour petrol down the carb.... Did you? It would have started then if that was the problem.....
ImageImage