not starting

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: not starting

Post by simmitc »

It sounds like we're back to the starter motor not working, probably a good idea to just fit a new one. The distributor could be mounted at almost any angle, but we number the cylinders from 1 at the front of the engine by the radiator to 4 at the back by the battery. The distributor rotates anticlockwise and the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. If you find the low tension terminal on the side of the distributor then No. 1 lead usually comes from the terminal on the cap that is next round anticlockwise; but things can be assembled differently. Check the rotor arm position with No.1 at TDC.
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Stourbridge_moggy »

simmitc wrote:It sounds like we're back to the starter motor not working, probably a good idea to just fit a new one. The distributor could be mounted at almost any angle, but we number the cylinders from 1 at the front of the engine by the radiator to 4 at the back by the battery. The distributor rotates anticlockwise and the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. If you find the low tension terminal on the side of the distributor then No. 1 lead usually comes from the terminal on the cap that is next round anticlockwise; but things can be assembled differently. Check the rotor arm position with No.1 at TDC.
Think I'll pick a new one up tomorrow. If I number the terminals in the way you suggest, I get 3 4 2 1.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as that is anticlock round the cap....it's the same thing.
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

I brought a new starter, now fitted. But still spins without turning the fan. Also, still get nothing when I use the handle
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Blimey is there nobody local to this poor chap to lend a hand, this thread just appears to be going round in circles and the poor guy still hasn't got his car running !!
Anyone near you stourbridge moggy ?
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

MrIan wrote:Blimey is there nobody local to this poor chap to lend a hand, this thread just appears to be going round in circles and the poor guy still hasn't got his car running !!
Anyone near you stourbridge moggy ?
Thanks for the support! I've contacted the Birmingham branch of MMOC and got a contact. I think I'm going to need him. Really at a dead end now
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Unless the battery is really really flat - the teeth must be worn off the flywheel if it still doesn't turn. But I assume you can still turn the engine with the handle? It's not seized is it?
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

bmcecosse wrote:Unless the battery is really really flat - the teeth must be worn off the flywheel if it still doesn't turn. But I assume you can still turn the engine with the handle? It's not seized is it?
yeh, I can still turn it with the handle. I took photos of the flywheel.

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

On the 16th you posted you took it for a drive after bump starting and the voltage was 14v and all electrics ok. So nothing wrong with charging or battery connections. All it can be is a faulty starter motor or the connections to it as far as I can see. The starter might spin ok off the car (even then though you should have to stand on it to keep it from flying off) but it might not have the torque to turn the engine. It'll be a straightforward issue to sort and no doubt you'll kick yourself when it's shown to you and sorted, trying to sort it via a forum is difficult at times.
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

MrIan wrote:On the 16th you posted you took it for a drive after bump starting and the voltage was 14v and all electrics ok. So nothing wrong with charging or battery connections.
Thats why its so confusing. For it to work twice in one night then nothing the next day. And now with a new starter.

Anyway getting a local guy that knows moggies down the next couple of days. And having never tinkered with cars this has help me know alot about my morris minor.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Flywheel ring looks ok - although there does seem to be some 'iron filings' to be seen... This 'new' starter - where did you get it - and how does it respond on the jump lead test?
ImageImage
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

bmcecosse wrote:Flywheel ring looks ok - although there does seem to be some 'iron filings' to be seen... This 'new' starter - where did you get it - and how does it respond on the jump lead test?
From bull motif and it spins violently in and out the car
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

So the new starter is spinning and cranking the engine over yet it's still not starting. If that is the case then there was either 2 faults but initially or another fault has occurred since the 16th when it ran fine.
Stourbridge_moggy
Minor Friendly

MrIan wrote:So the new starter is spinning and cranking the engine over yet it's still not starting. If that is the case then there was either 2 faults but initially or another fault has occurred since the 16th when it ran fine.
It doesn't always crank the engine. I do think another problem has arisen
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's it - we are told it doesn't 'turn the fan'.... So either the battery is flat again, or perhaps the ignition is kicking against the starter and stopping it... Retard the ignition very slightly to see if that helps.
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I'm confused. If I'm reading correctly, you say that it doesn't turn the fan, but that it sometimes turns the engine, but not always. The fan should turn when the engine turns, assuming that the fan belt is OK. If the new starter is kicking violently then that sounds good. If it is sometimes turning the engine and sometimes not, then perhaps part of the ring gear is badly worn - the pictures show only a small part. If the engine is turning then it should run, unless the other checks (fuel, compression and ignition) have shown up a problem. Can you still bump start it?
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

Can I just point out that this thread starts with the words 'Just a quick one' and the number of posts has gone into the seventies! The suspense is killing me, have you had any progress yet, or even solved this multiple mystery?

MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

moggalot wrote:Can I just point out that this thread starts with the words 'Just a quick one' and the number of posts has gone into the seventies! The suspense is killing me, have you had any progress yet, or even solved this multiple mystery?
Yes we've been through, flat battery, faulty battery, timing, faulty starter, jamming starter, ring gear, fan not spinning, something about the fuel pump and guage !!!!!!!

I'm on the edge of me flippin seat here !! :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

i actually am thinking it's a wind up - with confusing and conflicting (at times) answers and more and more 'problems' being thrown in all the time. I think I'm going to drop out of this one -because basic advise is just not being followed....
ImageImage
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

in my humble opinion the only thing left is to try is changing the boot lock !!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: