Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Help what fuel to run?

Post by kevin s »

I've used both e5 and e10 and as we have hardened seats now no additive, seems to work fine. Whatever you are using I would change all the rubber fuel lines for a good quality ethanol resistant stuff, I've used Cohline, and if it hasn't been changed lately re-build the fuel pump with a new diaphragm.
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by LaughingBoy »

I would use E5 plus an additive unless you have hardened valve seats. I use Millers VSPe Power Plus which claims to combat the adverse effects of E10 but I err on the safe side. VSPe additive also increases the octane value so the timing may need tweaking accordingly - the higher the octane value the slower the flame front passes through the combustion chamber (effectively the 'explosion' happens later) so the timing can be advanced slightly.

A truly belt & braces approach would be to use one of the new 99 octane fuels e.g. Esso Synergy Supreme 99 which is currently ethanol free (although from September '23 it is apparently transitioning to contain 5% ethanol) plus an additive!
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by KeithL »

kevin s wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am I've used both e5 and e10 and as we have hardened seats now no additive, seems to work fine. Whatever you are using I would change all the rubber fuel lines for a good quality ethanol resistant stuff, I've used Cohline, and if it hasn't been changed lately re-build the fuel pump with a new diaphragm.
Plus the plastic float if you have an SU carburettor.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

KeithL wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:37 pm
kevin s wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am I've used both e5 and e10 and as we have hardened seats now no additive, seems to work fine. Whatever you are using I would change all the rubber fuel lines for a good quality ethanol resistant stuff, I've used Cohline, and if it hasn't been changed lately re-build the fuel pump with a new diaphragm.
Plus the plastic float if you have an SU carburettor.
Not just the float but the needle valve as well.

https://sucarb.co.uk/hs-stayup-float-ki ... valve.html
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Lived through the changes to unleaded and up to the present. I've always run BL motors, and have never done anything to an engine, or used any additives. Never had a problem. Used unleaded ok, now run E5 with no problems
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

exlkrs wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:12 am Lived through the changes to unleaded and up to the present. I've always run BL motors, and have never done anything to an engine, or used any additives. Never had a problem. Used unleaded ok, now run E5 with no problems
Indeed. I think the main thing is to stick to the same octane rating fuel whatever is preferred. If the ignition timing is set for one octane rating and then the car is run on a higher or lower octane rating fuel then it will not run quite as well. A modern car can adjust the timing automatically using the ECR and knock sensors etc. The Minor cannot do that. These cars were exported all over the world and they certainly didn’t always run on premium fuels!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

geoberni wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:08 am This website is a good read, as a 'Fact Check' and to counter a lot of the Doom & Gloom that gets published just to attract readership to websites and magazines.....
https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk ... nu=1000001
I bought and read this book - extremely interesting. We could do with a write up that's pinned at the top of one of the technical sections (not volunteering :lol: ).
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Hudsonthemorris

Post by Hudsonthemorris »

Thanks for all the replies I’m daily driving it at the moment so am not to worried about fuel sitting there rotting components but if it ever becomes a second car then I’ll switch over to an additive. Running on e5 at the moment.