Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Posting disabled on 'for sale'?

Post by Matt »

As I have said in the past CJ - as mods we get no more information that the average club member. We get fed information that things have changed and thats about it.

Its just up to us to try and enforce the rules, delete the spam and try and keep things in order! (I have no idea why I agreed to do it... but I did!).

As I have also said many many times the only way to get things done is at comittee level - and members need to make contact with the comittee in volume. I doubt (m)any members have felt the need to do this?
Tell me. Is this an enthusiasts forum for information, questions, observations, opinions, laughs, banter and general sharing of our pleasure,
Thats the general idea, but there are bounds!

Its also worth remembering that the majority of the comittee who make the rules don't feel the need to use the messageboard, or any other forums so don't understand the issues. The webmaster does his best to try and convey them but they are not always listened too.

I'm sure if you wanted to try to join the MMOC comittee and make changes you would be supported :wink:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Matt wrote:As I have said in the past CJ - as mods we get no more information that the average club member. We get fed information that things have changed and thats about it.

Its just up to us to try and enforce the rules, delete the spam and try and keep things in order! (I have no idea why I agreed to do it... but I did!).

As I have also said many many times the only way to get things done is at comittee level - and members need to make contact with the comittee in volume. I doubt (m)any members have felt the need to do this?
Tell me. Is this an enthusiasts forum for information, questions, observations, opinions, laughs, banter and general sharing of our pleasure,
Thats the general idea, but there are bounds!

Its also worth remembering that the majority of the comittee who make the rules don't feel the need to use the messageboard, or any other forums so don't understand the issues. The webmaster does his best to try and convey them but they are not always listened too.

I'm sure if you wanted to try to join the MMOC comittee and make changes you would be supported :wink:

Errrrr, no thanks. I have a life to live, and besides, I REALLY cannot abide Gin. :wink:
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

That's a mind blower, if the majority of committee members don't understand the issues. :lol:

C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

les wrote:That's a mind blower, if the majority of committee members don't understand the issues. :lol:
You've gorra laugh ey Les, providing that's not breaking any rules or creating any possible pending litigation issues. :lol:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

As the magazine notice states, the reason that the 'for sale' forum has changed to classified style is to prevent the posting of unnecessary comments from others which will hopefully encourage club members who have previously been put off from advertising here to re-consider.
C.J. wrote: I'm sure sellers appreciate constructive comments praise plaudits and advice.
Of course they do, and nothing wrong with providing advice if asked for, but it frequently tends to be opinion rather than advice which is offered. It can't have escaped most regulars notice that the opposite types of messages have been frequently posted, albeit by a relatively small number of regulars here. Despite numerous reminders being posted to ask members not to comment on an advert unless they are interested in purchasing, the comments have still continued. It's no wonder that people have been complaining to the mods and the club office.
C.J. wrote:there was me thinking the Morris Minor owners club was a warm welcoming friendly community too
Unfortunately some sellers aren't seeing the messageboard as a warm, welcoming, friendly, community due to the responses they have received when posting an ad. These have included personal comments about sellers and negative criticism of their cars such as "it looks like a s**t pile". Can't imagine too many people would find that sort of comment friendly & welcoming :-?
C.J. wrote: Never seen anything like it on ANY other motoring related forum anywhere, ever!
I think that you have to bear in mind that this is a car Club forum rather than a general motor related forum so will be subject to stricter T&C's than some other forums. I visit a few other car forums and I haven't seen sellers there being treated in the same way that some are on here - most seem to welcome sellers.

I think if complaints start being received from sellers about the new format then it might be reviewed but in the meantime it isn't any more arduous to send a seller a pm if you're interested in their car ( or want to send them praise, plaudits & advice) rather than post a message to them on the open forum is it?

Hopefully most on here want the forum to continue to be warm, friendly & welcoming to all :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Well YOU'RE a MOD!! :o

1 inflammatory post, 1 warning shot via pm , and swiftly remove offending post, then a temp ban if it re-occurs, simple as that.
Do it again, no more warnings, just a straight forward and permanent ban, simple as that.... again!!

Bangs head against wall emoticon. :x

Not trying to be cocky or teaching you what to do, but...................
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

But we can't monitor the board 24hrs a day and as soon as a message has been posted the 'damage' has already been done. The mods then get critical messages either posted on the messageboard or sent via pm :roll: It shouldn't be too difficult for people to take a minute to think about what they are posting before they press the 'submit' button and also stick to the T&C's which they agreed to adhere to when registering here. You seem to want to blame everyone else for the change rather than those responsible for it happening.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

This post from another thread sums up things very well

Less onerous T&Cs or lighter touch moderation.
This is the internet, if you put something on it you must be prepared to be upset by the responses you get.
This "say no evil" attitude to vendors removes one of the best elements of the internet, the ability for ordinary people to share information.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Less onerous T&Cs or lighter touch moderation.
CJ is asking for stronger moderation - you can't please everyone :-? Is being asked to behave reasonably to other messageboard members really too onerous to comply with?
This is the internet, if you put something on it you must be prepared to be upset by the responses you get.
Yes, but as stated previously, this is a Club site so the Club wants it to be friendly and welcoming to all, not putting people off coming here or giving a bad impression of Club members. Messageboard members shouldn't be subject to abuse/insults from others. It seems that anyone advertising a car for sale here is seen as 'fair game' by some - the same doesn't happen on other forums.
This "say no evil" attitude to vendors removes one of the best elements of the internet, the ability for ordinary people to share information.
The internet has lots of good elements but also lots of bad ones. It's not difficult for people to share information without "saying evil" if they put a bit of thought into what they are writing before they post it.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

C.J. wrote:I'm sure if you wanted to try to join the MMOC comittee and make changes you would be supported :wink:

Errrrr, no thanks. I have a life to live, and besides, I REALLY cannot abide Gin. :wink:[/quote]

There you go then... so do all of us. All the mods and admin have full time jobs - personally I spend about 70 hours a week at work/travelling as well as the time in my workshop (I had a week off spent about 100 hours last week doing bodywork and painting on a friends Transit last week - for free), as well as moving house. so things get missed, the posts get out of hand (snowballing) and then everyone gets rather miffed when it get pruned/modified/deleted to comply with T&Cs.

It also seems to me that there are an awful lot of keyboard warriors who will complain relentlessly on the internet (generic statement refering to most forums etc I am on) but will not do anything to try and sort the problems they have out. If anyone isn't prepared to abide by the T&Cs, I would request that they refrain from posting.

With regards to banning people (permenant and temporary) I believe there is something somewhere that states it has to be a committee descision?

BTW I would consider this thread to be against specific terms and conditions 9 & 10 - so lets not go too much further with it??
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Matt wrote:
BTW I would consider this thread to be against specific terms and conditions 9 & 10 - so lets not go too much further with it??
This? :roll:
NEVER wrong as previously suggested ey, and certainly NOT to be questioned or DARED to be critisised. :roll:

You agree not to negatively comment on the MMOC, and MMOC services, any MMOC official or any MMOC member in any way.

The MMOC website is not a forum for complaint.

OK. Suitably told off and gagged.
I'll rant elsewhere where freedom of speech IS actually welcomed, warts and all!(within reasonable and most acceptable parameters and boundaries)
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

C.J. wrote:
NEVER wrong as previously suggested ey, and certainly NOT to be questioned or DARED to be critisised. :roll:
I never said that - just that the forum isn't the place to do it.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Lets put things back to where they were before all this----and we'll say no more. :)

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The reply function is remaining disabled Les - its a dictat from the comittee. You could always contact them to challenge it though?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'm just thinking all this upset because of a couple of complaints. Far more people seem upset by this restriction than the apparent number of people who complained.! :o

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

very good point
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

In some ways I can see the problem though , if I put my pride and joy on here up for sale the last thing I would want is someone picking holes in it from their armchair. Could affect the sale price maybe?
I have sold loads on that well known auction site and never had my item picked to bits before viewing :D

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I can't comment on that Les, as the complaints went direct to the committee. Mods/Admin didn't see them.

Either way - unless the comittee reverse the descision - the cars for sale are staying as a "classified" type section with replys disabled as we cannot veto them. You are aiming your objections at the wrong target :wink:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Fair enough Matt but in view of an earlier comment made, that most of the committee don't use this forum, and as you say, don't understand the issues, I'm presuming my comments to them, would have as much chance of being considered as an ice cream has of getting into hell.

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Well there are 2 chances...