Fuel starvation

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ianselva
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by ianselva »

My traveller has just stopped a couple of times and now finally with all the signs of fuel starvation. I have replaced the pump and pumped two gallons out of the tank in about 15 minutes. I have cleaned out the float bowl and checked the carb piston lifts OK . The car will start and tickover , but not rev up unless I choke the cab with my hand over.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

Although it may not be true in your case I once had very similar symptoms that were due to a faulty coil.
Initially the car would start and drive away allright but when the coil got hot it broke down and the car stopped. After a few minutes it would start again.
Later the coil would develop enough voltage to start the car but when you tried to rev the engine up it just died on you.
Please let us know what the cause is.
philc

Post by philc »

I had fuel starvation caused by using a silicone gasket material on the fuel gauge sender gasket. It expanded to transparent jelly, fell in the tank and blocked the pick-up. Was a b****r to get out 'cos you could barely see it.
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

SOLVED !
After changing the points, condenser, coil and petrol pump , I found it was caused by the rubberwasher on the end of the feed from the main jet to the float chamber , it had disintegrated and a bit was getting sucked across the end. I think it had been damaged/ badly assembled when new as I haven't toched it in the last 20 years . Is nothing built to last !
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

AT LAST, someone has told us of the outcome!!
we all give suggestions for these varied
faults but hardly ever get any feedback as
to the final solutions. That is a useful
episode to be 'filed 'for future reference
Willie